Bank statements for UK spouse visa

Hi all, 

My wife will be applying for a UK spouse visa soon. We’re going down the route of using proof of savings of £62,500 which needs  to be in my bank for 6 months before she can apply. My question is do the bank statements I supply need to be the original  statements supplied by the bank or will an online print off suffice ? The issue is that the online print off only shows my account number and not my name. Does anyone have experience of this ? 

I know it’s easy to to order a statement  but it costs me a months interest to do so ! (£190) 

Thanks 

Edited by killblues

I submitted an application last year and used a downloaded statement, which of course then needed to then be uploaded onto the UKVI application site.

There were no questions asked and the application was successful.

I don’t know if downloaded statements are routinely accepted, but they worked just fine for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Surely your bank will allow a downloaded PDF account statement without charge. My Bank (Lloyds) offers a couple of choices for downloads. One seems to have full name, address and account info. Are you using a savings account? Hard to beleive they can get away with charging you £190 for a statement. Beauty of PDFs is that they can show colour logos and retain formatting same as a maled statement. This is what I used for a sucssessful UK Visit Visa application last year using current account statements.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I submitted an application last year and used a downloaded statement, which of course then needed to then be uploaded onto the UKVI application site.

There were no questions asked and the application was successful.

I don’t know if downloaded statements are routinely accepted, but they worked just fine for me.

I don't think they did until we were allowed to upload all of the information digitally. They seem to allow far more than they did.

7 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Surely your bank will allow a downloaded PDF account statement without charge. My Bank (Lloyds) offers a couple of choices for downloads. One seems to have full name, address and account info. Are you using a savings account? Hard to beleive they can get away with charging you £190 for a statement. Beauty of PDFs is that they can show colour logos and retain formatting same as a maled statement. This is what I used for a sucssessful UK Visit Visa application last year using current account statements.

I’m using a savings account , the only way to trigger a statement is to make a withdrawal but any time you make a withdrawal you don’t get interest for that month which in this case would amount to around £190. I think I’ll just have to suck it up. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, killblues said:

I’m using a savings account , the only way to trigger a statement is to make a withdrawal but any time you make a withdrawal you don’t get interest for that month which in this case would amount to around £190. I think I’ll just have to suck it up. 

I recognise the withdrawal issue but with HSBC it is not complete loss of interest, you get the basic rate rather than enhanced rate for that type of account.

I would be very surprised if there is not somewhere in your settings where you can request a statement without creating any account activity.

I acknowledge itis a spouse visa but I have done 11 visitor visa applications and have only ever used an online print of the savings account without any problem. At the end of the day, up to you.

If it’s for proof of funds there are specific criteria stated in the government issued manuals.

I sent in an application last year and from memory the statement should have name of account holder and logo of financial institution. A downloaded statement can be used but it’s meant to be then stamped as genuine in branch.

However I sent in about 10 months of bank issued statements and two downloaded pages for missing months (I had to show 12 months statements) without stamping those and no questions were asked. 

if I were you I would read the additional instructions in detail. you can also use a bank book etc as alternative. Read the chapters about bank statement evidence requirements, here’s the link:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6511a4dc2f404b0014c3d89e/1.7+-+Financial+requirement.pdf

Bottom line is you might get away with a download but do you want to risk it for sake of losing a bit of interest. 

Incidentally if my bank didn’t issue a statement I wouldn’t use them.

Edited by NightSky
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You might want to read his post again........................

19 hours ago, killblues said:

I know it’s easy to to order a statement  but it costs me a months interest to do so ! (£190) 

Maybe you should.

All the statements I provided for my wife's visas have been downloaded and never stamped at a bank. Never had a problem. I had a letter from my employer stating annual salary and salary per month. Think I might have highlighted the salary on each statement so they could quickly see they cross referenced. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:
8 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Interest lost, not statement charge, you foolish boy.....................

Why would ordering a statement cause any interest lost at all?

Yes we await your answer with lost interest :whistling:, If you lose 190 quid then that is costing you 190 for a statement. :post-4641-1156694572: who's foolish? 

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yes we await your answer with lost interest :whistling:, If you lose 190 quid then that is costing you 190 for a statement. :post-4641-1156694572: who's foolish? 

Don't ask me  -  ask the OP who made that statement.................you do understand the difference between the OP and an ordinary poster?

Download bank statements in pdf format from the bank's website. These will download in the 'traditional' bank statement format that you used to get in the post, complete with name, address, postcode and account number / type.

Nationwide Bank, UK, don't make it easy navigating their site to get such a statement in pdf form, but the facility is there as I've done it for the visa purpose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, killblues said:

Are you absolutely sure you've explored all download options? I can either download a plain sheet or a full copy with the bank Logo etc (subject to installing the correct programme to open the file).  I'm also pretty sure that my branch manager would happliy give me a letter confirming my downloaded statements are genuine and accurate for a fraction of £190.

Edited by MangoKorat

17 minutes ago, Phil1964 said:

Nationwide Bank, UK, don't make it easy navigating their site to get such a statement in pdf form, but the facility is there as I've done it for the visa purpose.

There you go!

11 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Are you absolutely sure you've explored all download options? I can either download a plain sheet or a full copy with the bank Logo etc (subject to installing the correct programme to open the file).  I'm also pretty sure that my branch manager would happliy give me a letter confirming my downloaded statements are genuine and accurate for a fraction of £190.

Thanks but yes , I’m sure I’ve explored all options. It’s not downloading the statements that’s the issue (I can print or save historical statements) it’s the fact that if I want to trigger an up to date one then I have to make a withdrawal/lose a months interest. The only other option is to take a screen print but doing so doesn’t show my name on the printout (sorry, I probably didn’t make that clear in my o.p.) 

13 hours ago, killblues said:

Thanks but yes , I’m sure I’ve explored all options. It’s not downloading the statements that’s the issue (I can print or save historical statements) it’s the fact that if I want to trigger an up to date one then I have to make a withdrawal/lose a months interest. The only other option is to take a screen print but doing so doesn’t show my name on the printout (sorry, I probably didn’t make that clear in my o.p.) 

Download a pdf printer. When then select printer, and option save as pdf will be there. Then just save your file on the hard disk. I'm sure windows has the option 'Microsoft Print to PDF' as one of the options as standard in the printers. 

Edited by ade591
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2024 at 9:57 PM, killblues said:

Surely if you leave it a week or two the date of the statement you are after will be a historical statement?  I find it hard to believe a bank could charge you a months interest just so you can find out how much cash you have in your account. I bank with Santander, Nationwide and First Direct and I can download statements with all of my details at the top and the logo any time I want to. I have done for numerous visas. The statements are identical to those they used to post to me until I ticked the box to "save the planet".

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 11:58 PM, rasg said:

Surely if you leave it a week or two the date of the statement you are after will be a historical statement?  I find it hard to believe a bank could charge you a months interest just so you can find out how much cash you have in your account. I bank with Santander, Nationwide and First Direct and I can download statements with all of my details at the top and the logo any time I want to. I have done for numerous visas. The statements are identical to those they used to post to me until I ticked the box to "save the planet".

To wait a couple of weeks would indeed make it a historical statement but I’d still have to make a withdrawal to trigger it. I too have several accounts that I can print statements for free of charge but unfortunately they don’t pay as high an interest rate as the one my savings are in hence the terms and conditions that state that any month where a withdrawal is made will not accrue any interest.