TikTok user exposes taxi overcharge in Bangkok, fare hits 105 baht (video)

webfact

image.jpeg

A TikTok user sparked a conversation about taxi services after posting a video showing an unusually high fare for a short journey. The user, under the name namotasapakavato1, warned fellow passengers after a taxi ride from a BTS station to Rangsit became a cause for concern—not only did the driver bring along his wife, who sat in the front seat, but the taxi metre also skyrocketed to 105 baht (US$3) for less than a kilometre.

The post detailed the user’s experience.

“From the BTS station, the meter jumped to 105 baht before even reaching a kilometre, and the driver’s wife was there too, without wearing a taxi driver’s uniform.”

@namotasapakavato1 #เทคซี่โกง #เตือนภัยมิจฉาชีพ #เตือน ♬ เสียงต้นฉบับ - หนมครกอร่อยกว่าโดนัด

The video showed the rapid increase of the meter’s numbers flashing erratically, while a woman, identified by the user as the driver’s wife, was seen using her mobile phone.

Further, the clip’s owner revealed that the driver was complaining throughout the journey. Despite being informed in advance and initially agreeing to the ride, the user was taken aback by the erratic meter and the driver’s temper. The driver also suggested a flat rate for the trip, reported Sanook.

by Samantha Rose

Picture courtesy of namotasapakavato1 TikTok

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Woof999 said:

Which laws is it that the poor person is allowed to break? Only fraud and theft? If so, up to what amount? Does that include it being against you or only others?

Just so we know where to draw the line between bottom feeder and victim.

Bottom feeding. It's pathetic. Picking on poor people. The biggest crooks are lawyers and politicians who bend the law to make millions.

Let's not pretend Bangkok taxi drivers are the biggest scammers out there.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

That is something everyone knows and the stories that are out there.It happens in every major city if u don,t know the area or stories.So do your home work before u take a taxi.My friend in cnx use grab,he checks the fare before and he sees the price rise  all depends the demand.Knows the cheaper time and direction he should use.Just something u should learn in  different countries

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

the driver also suggested a flat rate for the trip, reported Sanook.

The driver probably said - "yeah sorry, meter broken. How about 50 baht?"  Thank god for social media. Otherwise, these heinous crimes might go untold :glare:

Edited by Wuvu2
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

The driver probably said - "yeah sorry, meter broken. How about 50 baht?"  Thank god for social media. Otherwise, these heinous crimes might go untold :glare:

But Mr Tik Tok bottom feeder wants the driver to only make 20 baht after costs because it's a rip off otherwise. He is saving the world from rorts.

• Sad 2

33 minutes ago, uttradit said:

But Mr Tik Tok bottom feeder wants the driver to only make 20 baht after costs because it's a rip off otherwise. He is saving the world from rorts.

Why do you think the taxi driver's costs for a < 1km journey that took just a couple of minutes are 85 baht?

48 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Bangkok taxis are amongst the cheapest in the world. 

They would be if they used an untampered meter.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, uttradit said:

The Tik Tok guy isn't a good person either. Picking on a poor person and trying to ruin their life. Total bottom feeder.

Go harrass some rich person and pick on them. For instance a lawyer who charges $45 to photocopy 3 papers.

So you would be quite happy to let the taxi scam you and charge you whatever price he feels like? He’s just a poor person after all. The tik tok guy is a good guy because he’s trying to save others from being cheated. A bottom feeder is someone who cheats others, not someone who exposes a scammer.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I only started to visit Thailand in 2016.  On one of my early trips I noticed the taxi meter going up in gulps.   It seemed to do it when i looked away mostly.   I then noticed a wire going down to the driver.   Having read about this very thing, possibly on TVisa, I  called him out on this wire. He acted guilty and didn't mind when I only paid him what it should have cost.  Part of the adventure I thought.   Today I would not let him get away and I would call the tourist police and do whatever it took to get a police report. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Why do you think the taxi driver's costs for a < 1km journey that took just a couple of minutes are 85 baht?

They would be if they used an untampered meter.

Car registration

Fuel

Licence fees

Uniform

Give 50% to owner of car if not owned

I would guess out of 100 baht they make 20 to 40 baht.

Very little.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

So you would be quite happy to let the taxi scam you and charge you whatever price he feels like? He’s just a poor person after all. The tik tok guy is a good guy because he’s trying to save others from being cheated. A bottom feeder is someone who cheats others, not someone who exposes a scammer.

No I would use an app or negotiate the fare or use meter.

The Tik Tok guy is a bottom feeding dirtbag. Trying to get famous by ruining the life of a poor driver. 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, uttradit said:

The Tik Tok guy isn't a good person either. Picking on a poor person and trying to ruin their life. Total bottom feeder.

Go harrass some rich person and pick on them. For instance a lawyer who charges $45 to photocopy 3 papers.

Georg Soros comes to mind.

31 minutes ago, uttradit said:

No I would use an app or negotiate the fare or use meter.

The Tik Tok guy is a bottom feeding dirtbag. Trying to get famous by ruining the life of a poor driver. 

The “poor” taxi driver has fixed his meter which is illegal.

Not everyone on TT is there to make money, it’s not that easy.

Taxi fares in Bangkok are not supposed to be negotiated. That’s what a legal meter is for.More fool you if you allow yourself to be scammed by negotiating.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Taxi fares in Bangkok are not supposed to be negotiated. That’s what a legal meter is for.More fool you if you allow yourself to be scammed by negotiating.

Rather an inexperienced comment... 

As much as I dislike it, you can't get taxi to use their meter from anywhere in the Sukhumvit (BKK) area very late night / early hours... 

From Thonglor up to Nana its pretty much impossible to get a Grab or Bolt... and the Taxi's simply will not negotiate... 

You pay 200-300 baht for what is normally an 80 baht fare and thats it...  

I'm dead against negotiating with Taxi drivers and am very stubborn... but, getting a taxi with a meter is a non-starter in those areas in my experience.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Rather an inexperienced comment... 

As much as I dislike it, you can't get taxi to use their meter from anywhere in the Sukhumvit (BKK) area very late night / early hours... 

From Thonglor up to Nana its pretty much impossible to get a Grab or Bolt... and the Taxi's simply will not negotiate... 

You pay 200-300 baht for what is normally an 80 baht fare and thats it...  

I'm dead against negotiating with Taxi drivers and am very stubborn... but, getting a taxi with a meter is a non-starter in those areas in my experience.

They deserve 300 baht once a day. Their job sucks.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

They might all be in this together!?

Why didn't tiktok guy just get out of the cab? (He's Thai, easily done) Why did he know the woman was the driver's wife?

Did he get the taxi number and report this?

I don't think that this is the whole story.

All normal for a Farang but for a Thai??

• Thanks 1

Crikey, all this fuss. String him up for 15 Baht ? I’ve taken taxis in Bangkok for 40 years and only once had a problem with the amount asked from airport !  Try taking a taxi in Pattaya  or Phuket and see what you get . I’m just wondering why this tik tok fool ordered a taxi to drive 1 km ??? Really ? Just a set up to try and get on the screen in my opinion. I doubt very much that a taxi would loose money/ time over  a 1Km fare and keep smiling.