Drunk officer leaves 12 year old boy in critical condition after hit-and-run (video)

webfact

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Many believe their uniform allows it. And not only in the police and military but in public service such as immigration or local offices. Why do you think so many people in Thailand wear uniforms. Members of my family are teachers and are often asked to dress up in white. It makes those who have uniforms feel important and better than others, and for some that means they can exploit their 'status' and bully or intimidate others. It's a very primitive society.

I think there's a lot of truth to what you're saying about the uniform. I don't know if I would call Thailand a primitive society, but it is certainly not an advanced society, and it is certainly not a society that is comprised of predominantly emotionally mature people. 

Also many people have a lot of respect for tradition, but I think tradition holds people back and I think the convention that goes along with tradition is very detrimental to society. Thailand is an extremely conventional place and the vast majority of people live in tiny little boxes of convention and conservatism. 

Edited by spidermike007

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't know if I would call Thailand a primitive society

I mean that in relation to the 'respect' that has to be shown to so-called betters because of their position in society, which is a relic from the Middle Ages in my native UK. Many of the unprivileged in Thailand are treated like serfs and not deserving of respect. Thai society is based pretty much entirely on an outdated class system, which of course satisfies those at the top and leads, ultimately, to the will of the people being ignored at election time. A few at the top rule, and that filters down throughout a society in which everyone has to know their place on the ladder and act accordingly. And at times that results in a burning resentment which then overflows into violence, often over nothing. And it gives those with the power of a uniform a perceived right to fight back against the system by bullying others. The 'do you know who I am' attitude is there throughout society. I call that primitive.

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I mean that in relation to the 'respect' that has to be shown to so-called betters because of their position in society, which is a relic from the Middle Ages in my native UK. Many of the unprivileged in Thailand are treated like serfs and not deserving of respect. Thai society is based pretty much entirely on an outdated class system, which of course satisfies those at the top and leads, ultimately, to the will of the people being ignored at election time. A few at the top rule, and that filters down throughout a society in which everyone has to know their place on the ladder and act accordingly. And at times that results in a burning resentment which then overflows into violence, often over nothing. And it gives those with the power of a uniform a perceived right to fight back against the system by bullying others. The 'do you know who I am' attitude is there throughout society. I call that primitive.

The few so-called hi-so people that I have met we're really not worth meeting at all, and they are not even people that I would want to share a beer with. No thanks, I'll stick with the so called peasant class. I can relate to them. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/2/2024 at 1:53 PM, 2008bangkok said:

While I hate DUI. 

A12. Year old driving a motorbike on the roads... REALLY

READ the story.The kid was a passenger! ....REALLY

Edited by findlay13