Amazing requirements to open account as a Tourist at Bangkok Bank HQ (Silom)

On 2/2/2024 at 6:57 PM, george said:

Found this on a Facebook Group today. Is it really crazy with Bangkok Bank now?

Quote:

”For those who want to open a Thai bank account. I suggest you drop by at the Bangkok Bank head office  1st floor, Silom.”

End quote.

This says it all, but is it enforced? Anyone?

IMG_2974.jpeg

Regarding No.3. Don't they know that not every country's driving license or ID card show the residence address...

Mine doesn't.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2024 at 7:27 AM, Denim said:

I walked into a bank of Ayutthaya branch in Nonthaburi to open an account.

No can do. You need work permit , proof of employment Yada Yada Yada.

OK...can you recommend another bank where I can deposit this 1 million baht in Travelers cheques ?

Wait , I'll  ask manager. Manager comes out and opens an account for me accepting only my passport as proof of ID.

I tried this trick. Said that I wanna buy a condo for 2 million baht. But they still wanted a non-o visa.

On 2/2/2024 at 11:07 PM, Phil Conners said:

Yes, living there, but not as a tourist. You won't be able to open saving accounts in USA or EU without a SSN or similar, which you won't get with a tourist visa.  As far as I remember you always needed some form of non-o visa to open a savings account in Thailand, not sure if/when that changed.

That is wrong. Most American banks are happy to open accounts for tourists, and people without social security numbers. My friend from the UK did it after being in the US all of 3 days, on visa waiver entry for tourism.

On 2/4/2024 at 7:27 AM, Denim said:

OK...can you recommend another bank where I can deposit this 1 million baht in Travelers cheques ?

What a bull<deleted>, 1 million in Travelers cheques? 😀

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2024 at 6:21 PM, Everyman said:

That is wrong. Most American banks are happy to open accounts for tourists, and people without social security numbers. My friend from the UK did it after being in the US all of 3 days, on visa waiver entry for tourism.

Indeed. Some people just have bad passports. No good! 😅

when i went to open an account with bangkok bank they wanted a letter from my embassy confirming i was who i said i was. i said thanks, but no thanks. walked down the street and opened an account at k bank, took about 40 minutes. :coffee1:

if someone doesn't want my business that's fine, i'll take my business to someone who does. no complaining, no stress.