Tourism Concerns Spark Plea for Alcohol Sales Law Change

webfact

10 hours ago, BenStark said:

Kids are supposed to be in the classroom between 2 and 5pm.

They have break between 12 and 1pm when sales are allowed, and they are leaving school at 5pm, when alcohol sales are allowed

Your idea is somewhat correct but the hours you state are far from the reality of school hours. Apart from that students in school uniform will not purchase alcohol. Not that I've seen.

12 minutes ago, uttradit said:

No such word as rediculous. Also if you can't buy a week's supply in 70 operating hours you need to improve your shopping habits.

Damn I've done it again. Ridiculous. Happy now. Your argument is ridiculous and continues to be. It's not about managing shopping habits. What's this got to do with restaurants. Again your argument is flawed. If I want to buy ONE can of beer at a 711 I pop into at 10:30 in the morning or 3:30 in the afternoon I should be able to but cannot because of what as I stated is somre form of a bizaare prohibition. There really is no sane or logical argument for this nonsense.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Damn I've done it again. Ridiculous. Happy now. Your argument is ridiculous and continues to be. It's not about managing shopping habits. What's this got to do with restaurants. Again your argument is flawed. If I want to buy ONE can of beer at a 711 I pop into at 10:30 in the morning or 3:30 in the afternoon I should be able to but cannot because of what as I stated is somre form of a bizaare prohibition. There really is no sane or logical argument for this nonsense.

Normal non alcoholics don't drink before noon. If you hate Thai laws stay away from Thailand.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Don't support the CP Group.

Local mom and pop stores is where it is at, support the battlers.

I certainly go to my closest M&P shop which is situated directly behind my closest 711. The beer is actually cheaper. Last Sat I went to buy some rice there and sit down and relax with a beer. Shop was shut (very rare) and it was 10:40 in the morning. Option of a relaxing beer was therefore impossible due to prohibition. Just complete and utter insanity with no reason whatsoever for it's existence.

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

Shop was shut (very rare) and it was 10:40 in the morning. Option of a relaxing beer was therefore impossible due to prohibition. Just complete and utter insanity with no reason whatsoever for it's existence.

Bugger, thats no good.

If only there was more around.

17 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Normal non alcoholics don't drink before noon. If you hate Thai laws stay away from Thailand.

You have absolutely no right or knowledge to espouse this drivel. This paricular law I hate as does everyone else who is affected by it. It's complete nonsense. Stay away from Thailand? Please keep your sanctimononius comments to yourself. This law which has been around for decades was only really enforced by Thaksin in 2004. I hated it then and I've hated it for each of the 19 years I've been here. I work here and I have a family here so again please keep your illinformed comments to yourself.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Monday to Friday I do not drink.

I will have a beer or scotch with breakfast on the weekends.

Guess I must not fit into the "non alcoholic" category.............

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

You have absolutely no right or knowledge to espouse this drivel. This paricular law I hate as does everyone else who is affected by it. It's complete nonsense. Stay away from Thailand? Please keep your sanctimononius comments to yourself. This law which has been around for decades was only really enforced by Thaksin in 2004. I hated it then and I've hated it for each of the 19 years I've been here. I work here and I have a family here so again please keep your illinformed comments to yourself.

Ask a doctor about morning alcohol consumption. And no I won't keep my comments to myself. If drinkers can't handle the truth about drinking they should seek help dealing with their drinking problems.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

That's just strange to have alcohol with breakfast.

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

My uncle had a friend who was a brain surgeon. This person would have a shot of vodka every morning. That was it. One shot every morning and no more for the rest of the day. Couldn't function without it. This is one example of why the alcoholism/alcohol dependency debate is not as straight forward as many think. 

My uncle had a friend who was a brain surgeon. This person would have a shot of vodka every morning. That was it. One shot every morning and no more for the rest of the day. Couldn't function without it. This is one example of why the alcoholism/alcohol dependency debate is not as straight forward as many think. 

I function just fine without alcohol, just like to have a beer or whisky with breakfast... some weekends thats the only drink I have.

That's 1 cherry picked example compared to millions of people who suffer disease and early death due to alcohol issues.

I knew a guy who drank drive and didnt crash therefore drink driving is safe...

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, uttradit said:

That's 1 cherry picked example compared to millions of people who suffer disease and early death due to alcohol issues.

I knew a guy who drank drive and didnt crash therefore drink driving is safe...

Your attempt at Cartisian logic is flawed. Apart from that I was showing, not cherry picking, an example to show that the label of alcoholic is not straightfoward as often used by those ignorant of the facts.

21 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Agree but if you want to buy a beer at 10:30 in the morning from 711 or go to a 711 to buy a beer at 2:00 pm  you can't.

But but, you can buy beer there during the defined hours, and come back and get it anytime you like.

Or, find a shop that will sell it to you.

Seems the shop registers are closed for alcohol sales during the proabition hours, but if you don't put the money thru the register, you can pay cash (no register docket) if the shop agrees.

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Your attempt at Cartisian logic is flawed. Apart from that I was showing, not cherry picking, an example to show that the label of alcoholic is not straightfoward as often used by those ignorant of the facts.

You gave a single example and it's just heirsay not even a proven fact. The most recent studies on alcohol say alcohol is really bad for you.

Devilled kidneys on toast with a well chilled bottle of a good semillon desert wine on a warm morning is just a wonderful breakfast. Sok lek and lao khao for breakfast is insane but great. Not too much lao khao though. That <deleted> is dangerous. Actually the raw beef isn't the best idea either BUT it's a good way to start the day. :burp: (Songkran in the village)

Screenshot (1220).png

Screenshot (1222).png

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, uttradit said:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180824103018.htm

Alcohol is bad for you no matter what

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6804046/

"Wine is a popular alcoholic beverage that has been consumed for hundreds of years. Benefits from moderate alcohol consumption have been widely supported by the scientific literature and, in this line, red wine intake has been related to a lesser risk for coronary heart disease (CHD). Experimental studies and meta-analyses have mainly attributed this outcome to the presence in red wine of a great variety of polyphenolic compounds such as resveratrol, catechin, epicatechin, quercetin, and anthocyanin. Resveratrol is considered the most effective wine compound with respect to the prevention of CHD because of its antioxidant properties. The mechanisms responsible for its putative cardioprotective effects would include changes in lipid profiles, reduction of insulin resistance, and decrease in oxidative stress of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C). The aim of this review is to summarize the accumulated evidence correlating moderate red wine consumption with prevention of CHD by focusing on the different mechanisms underlying this relationship. Furthermore, the chemistry of wine as well as chemical factors that influence the composition of the bioactive components of red wine are also discussed."

• Agree 1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6804046/

"Wine is a popular alcoholic beverage that has been consumed for hundreds of years. Benefits from moderate alcohol consumption have been widely supported by the scientific literature and, in this line, red wine intake has been related to a lesser risk for coronary heart disease (CHD). Experimental studies and meta-analyses have mainly attributed this outcome to the presence in red wine of a great variety of polyphenolic compounds such as resveratrol, catechin, epicatechin, quercetin, and anthocyanin. Resveratrol is considered the most effective wine compound with respect to the prevention of CHD because of its antioxidant properties. The mechanisms responsible for its putative cardioprotective effects would include changes in lipid profiles, reduction of insulin resistance, and decrease in oxidative stress of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C). The aim of this review is to summarize the accumulated evidence correlating moderate red wine consumption with prevention of CHD by focusing on the different mechanisms underlying this relationship. Furthermore, the chemistry of wine as well as chemical factors that influence the composition of the bioactive components of red wine are also discussed."

Do you only drink red wine? Wouldn't it be better to just eat red grapes? Blueberries and strawberries have no alcohol and all the good things too.

1 hour ago, uttradit said:

Ask a doctor about morning alcohol consumption. And no I won't keep my comments to myself. If drinkers can't handle the truth about drinking they should seek help dealing with their drinking problems.

The article you linked is about binge drinking in the morning NOT moderate consumption. What about if a person is a night shift worker. Plenty I've known (including myself) that will have a beer or two after the finish work in the MORNING. You are a entitled as much to your teatotalism as I am to treat my body the way I deem fit so again please keep your sanctimonious comments to yourself.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Do you only drink red wine? Wouldn't it be better to just eat red grapes? Blueberries and strawberries have no alcohol and all the good things too.

Nobody can be this stupid.