New passport ….having information transferred

I have recently received a new USA passport, What needs to be done to transfer EOS and other information from the old passport

to the new one???  Is there a standard form used for this purpose?  Information appreciated. I used the Pattaya office of Integrity Legal

for passport renewal. The cost was just over 5300 baht, which is a savings over another legal office that was mentioned on this forum.

Edited by Felton Jarvis
Clarity

21 minutes ago, timendres said:

I renewed my passport by mail using the services provided by the US Embassy. Easy and efficient.

That cost to me was about 1,900 THB if I remember correctly.

The important point is that when the embassy returned my new passport, it came with a letter on embassy letterhead with a signature. The letter informed Thai immigration of the issuance of the new passport and requested any relevant stamps be transferred to the new passport.

Without this letter, immigration at Chaeng Watthana in Bangkok would not proceed with the transfer.

Since this method of renewal is the only method available (I believe), I think your agent did that and received the letter I refer to.

Thus, they have you on the hook for doing the transfer, unless they are willing to hand over that letter (or Pattaya immigration does not require it).

The US Embassy website was worthless. I kept getting thrown into endless loops and couldn't get out (or pay). It is an absolute garbage can of a system, but I'm glad that it worked for you.

24 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

I thought you did not need a letter from an Embassy now. This was announced a few months ago.

Some Embassies stopped issuing the letters.

I replaced my Passport in the UK, never dealt with the Embassy.

Immigration transferred the stamps over without any questions.

I renewed my US passport a few months ago. As soon as it arrived, I just took the new one and the old one to immigration. I handed them to the officer who knew immediately what I needed. I sat down and 5 or 10 minutes later they handed them both back with all the stamps transferred. SHAME on whoever ripped you off for such a "service" and I hope they at least offered you a reach around.

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I renewed my US passport a few months ago. As soon as it arrived, I just took the new one and the old one to immigration. I handed them to the officer who knew immediately what I needed. I sat down and 5 or 10 minutes later they handed them both back with all the stamps transferred. SHAME on whoever ripped you off for such a "service" and I hope they at least offered you a reach around.

One of the British legal offices is charging 10 thousand baht for. the same service. The owner is really rude and does not seem to like "Yanks".  Hey, I wasn't asking for anything but information based on a post that I saw here. Not sure why many Brits don't like us, we don't have any control over what Washington does.  LOL.  Get a clue. 

• Haha 1

Here in sunny 'ol Buriram it is simply a case of take both old and new passports to the Immigration office and the relevant stamps are added to the new passport.

It is a free service but some officers will try and get 500 Baht for the privilege.

No photo copies of anything are needed.

The whole process takes about 5 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only needed to take along both passports to immigration when I made a new marriage extension, no point going before they don't know when I get the new one. 

One other thing Don't forget to take a new photo on your phone.

My DL has my pink card number.

• Like 1

A friend ( UK ) has used an agent in Bangkok to renew his passport . My friend posted the old PP by recorded delivery from Surin to the Bangkok agent . The agent phoned my friend the following day to say he had received it . Agent said that he had just had another UK customers PP returned and that took only 3 weeks . The agent fees were 11,000 Baht including the cost of the PP which is about 93 pounds 4200 baht) Friend said he knew it was expensive but when considering the travel costs to and from Bangkok , 2 nights in a decent hotel , meals and taxis etc and the inconvenience , he was happy to pay . 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Read the OP properly. He paid 5,300 baht to get a new passport, not transferring the stamps over, which is what you posted about.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, jimn said:

Read the OP properly. He paid 5,300 baht to get a new passport, not transferring the stamps over, which is what you posted about.

Who made you the "policeman" of the board?

Bored today eh?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 2

On 2/3/2024 at 6:15 PM, timendres said:

I renewed my passport by mail using the services provided by the US Embassy. Easy and efficient.

That cost to me was about 1,900 THB if I remember correctly.

The important point is that when the embassy returned my new passport, it came with a letter on embassy letterhead with a signature. The letter informed Thai immigration of the issuance of the new passport and requested any relevant stamps be transferred to the new passport.

Without this letter, immigration at Chaeng Watthana in Bangkok would not proceed with the transfer.

Since this method of renewal is the only method available (I believe), I think your agent did that and received the letter I refer to.

Thus, they have you on the hook for doing the transfer, unless they are willing to hand over that letter (or Pattaya immigration does not require it).

This is outdated information as of April 2023.  The letter is no longer provided.  There is only a form provided by the US Embassy that you can hand to Thai Immigration explaining this.  This is the form. 

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/Notification-of-cessation-of-linkage-letters.pdf

On 2/3/2024 at 6:40 PM, Felton Jarvis said:

The US Embassy website was worthless. I kept getting thrown into endless loops and couldn't get out (or pay). It is an absolute garbage can of a system, but I'm glad that it worked for you.

This is true, in the sense that they appear to have 2 or 3 "out of date" pages that look like the right answer.

It took trial and error for me to find the correct page, after which all was straight forward.

They need to purge those dead end pages.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, superal said:

A friend ( UK ) has used an agent in Bangkok to renew his passport . My friend posted the old PP by recorded delivery from Surin to the Bangkok agent . The agent phoned my friend the following day to say he had received it . Agent said that he had just had another UK customers PP returned and that took only 3 weeks . The agent fees were 11,000 Baht including the cost of the PP which is about 93 pounds 4200 baht) Friend said he knew it was expensive but when considering the travel costs to and from Bangkok , 2 nights in a decent hotel , meals and taxis etc and the inconvenience , he was happy to pay . 

I try to explain this to most expats and their eyes cross. Time is money. I would rather pay more and save myself a hassle.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, oldestswinger said:

I recently went through this at CW. Although it was not mentioned on the ID's website, the IO wanted to see my bank passbook. She explained that it was to check that the bank balance had remained correct after the last extension.

This possibility would kill my chances of updating my passport information. I use an agent and do not maintain a bank balance. "The best laid plans etc"

• Like 1

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Who made you the "policeman" of the board?

Bored today eh?

Better than being an embarrassing troll like you with your banal threads.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

This possibility would kill my chances of updating my passport information. I use an agent and do not maintain a bank balance. "The best laid plans etc"

When i transferred  my visa to a new passport in Sep last year at CW they wanted bank book and letter from bank,  last TM47 and the TM30 which i did not have so went downstairs to have it printed out, took 5 hours, best take everything incase

Edited by howerde
missing text
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

I believe an agent can sort out the passport stamps transfer and thus the bank balance. I was offered this service in Pattaya.

• Thanks 1