Chinese New Year Koh Phangan

16 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Event for what? It is just a new year, nothing else. 

Agree, not a major touristy event, except maybe ChinaTown.   Although, it is certainly observed by way more folks than I thought.

Yesterday Makro was packed, and I do mean packed.  Never seen it that crowded,  Check out was almost looking like Lotus's & Big C :cheesy:

3 or 4 deep instead of just me. Veggie scale had a Q of 5, non stop.  Meat section 2 deep, trying to view the wares, 5 deep at the scale.. 

Chinese heritage runs deep in TH.   And we're in Nakhon NoWhere :coffee1:

Resembled Xmas shopping in USA.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

Thailand has deep Chinese and Indian connections. Thai is tonal like Chinese, and they use scripts that have roots in Indian Brahmi scripts. Thai gods and religions are mostly Hindu gods and Buddhist religions. The Thai king has Indian Brahmins perform religious ceremonies. Thai literature is full of Sanskrit and Pali words. 

The islands Phangan and Samui was originally inhabited by Hainan Chinese – they are still (very) important families on the islands – Chinese New Year is therefore an important event on the islands (my photo is from new year celebration in a China town on Samui)...

image.jpeg.20b89292609f0007ba8ed5fba0611adc.jpeg

• Agree 1

I am currently on KPN and Thong Sala has at least two roads decked out with rows of Chinese lanterns and 'walking streets' in the evening.

The Chinese temple in Thong Sala is also all set up for the lunar celebration.

The hotel where I am staying is also setting up ready for an 'event' but I will be gone before it happens.

In previous years, the hotel has had offerings and a dragon dance etc.

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

I am currently on KPN and Thong Sala has at least two roads decked out with rows of Chinese lanterns and 'walking streets' in the evening.

The Chinese temple in Thong Sala is also all set up for the lunar celebration.

The hotel where I am staying is also setting up ready for an 'event' but I will be gone before it happens.

In previous years, the hotel has had offerings and a dragon dance etc.

Which hotel is that T?

• 2 weeks later...