Looking to buy a condo in Pattaya

BenStark

25 minutes ago, BigStar said:

It's amazing how the concept of summer/vacation/weekend getaway home, hundreds of years old, is entirely unknown to our forum members, having a hard time understanding something so basic. It's like they've always lived under a rock. I guess most anything is news.

I understand the vacation home concept. This is different. It would be like having a primary residence and getting a vacation home for Disneyland, but not wanting it too close to Disneyland. Does not really make sense. Most people would want to live as close to the theme park as possible, especially if it was a holiday property and they had a main property further away.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Maybe because he looked at other options, as he has posted throughout the thread, and didn't see anything better? For sure not the crappy Centara avenue with a Areca lodge perimeter wall view

That so called "crappy" condo, which is 5 metres from the pool and is actually quite nice enough to be marketed as a luxury condo, is earning 16k baht a month for a 2.1 million condo price. Far better return than LK Legend gets

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

It would be like having a primary residence and getting a vacation home for Disneyland, but not wanting it too close to Disneyland. Does not really make sense.

Can make perfect sense. Nearer to Disneyland means more development, traffic, noise, and horrible tourists. You don't necessarily go into Disneyland every time you visit your vacation home. Many times you just enjoy being in a different location and whatever's around it. Maybe you like the particular home and didn't find anything more desirable in your price range closer to Disneyland.

I wouldn't live on Soi Buakhao, either, and I figure there's a reason it has many cheap hotels on the street but only one Diana Estates. Used to feel sorry for owners there when loud concerts and carnivals were held in the lot across the street. Things have changed, but they're also going to continue changing on that street, so I'd be wary.

That said, we do have members I believe would like to live above Windmill. Each to his own.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, newnative said:

They can, indeed, be a big problem--and not just for noise late at night.  They were a big problem for one of the large projects my spouse and I lived in.  Over 1000 units, built by a Bangkok developer, with the project designed with the idea there would be a lot of absentee Bangkok owners using the mostly small units as weekend getaways now and then.  Two not very big pools and 1 not very large gym--sized for a project that wasn't expected to be very busy most of the time.

Enter illegal short-term rentals and the project used as a hotel, instead of a residence, by a number of owners who bought multiple units to rent out daily.  Instead of a pleasant place to live, it was soon over-run, with the 'hotel' guests acting badly a lot of the time.  Total disregard for condo rules, the facility, and the long-term residents.   We'd walk down the hall and see garbage bags sitting in the hallway because they couldn't be bothered to find where the trash room was.  Constantly running to condo staff and overworking them with 'hotel' types of problems and issues they weren't hired to deal with.

Elevators were overwhelmed with the constant moving in and out of dozens of new people every day--often a long line for residents to wait to get on an overcrowded elevator filled with suitcases--and daily renters who could care less about bangng them about into the walls and doors.  The wear and tear on the building was quickly noticeable with the constant moving in and out of so many illegal renters every day.  What was once a pleasant lobby became a crowded mess of the daily renters sitting everywhere with their luggage waiting for someone to come give them the keys to the condo they had rented for a couple of days.  Think noisy, busy airport terminal without the planes.  

I'm certainly glad you have not had this type of situation in the condo project where you live--but lots of others are dealing with these types of issues with large condo projects now popular with tourists renting illegally.  After that experience, we picked an older condo project with much larger unit sizes and a smaller number of units, less than 200.  Made for a much more pleasant residence.

Most places have either security or office staff in the lobby 24/7. Why are they not screening people coming in?

They could say you either need a lease, or the resident needs to fetch you from the lobby or buzz you in, just like they would for any stranger wandering in.

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

Most places have either security or office staff in the lobby 24/7. Why are they not screening people coming in?

They could say you either need a lease, or the resident needs to fetch you from the lobby or buzz you in, just like they would for any stranger wandering in.

Aren't you contradicting yourself now, since you often have posted that is just what you object to?

13 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Aren't you contradicting yourself now, since you often have posted that is just what you object to?

I'm afraid the confusion is all yours and you don't have me at a disadvantage.

Indeed, I don't like it. However, if security is there anyway I have no problems with them making themselves useful.

Edited by JimTripper

Why, indeed.

5 hours ago, newnative said:

Why, indeed.

Simply answer, most Thais take no pride in their job and have no shame, to put it simply, they do not care.

On 2/29/2024 at 7:35 PM, BenStark said:

And you paid 10K a month, right?

I owned it, I paid 1.3 million baht pre construction back in 2013 and sold it for 1.6 mill a few years later. I was lucky to get my money back before the condo market collapsed. 

I rented it out for 10 k month +  utility bills. 
And in Paradise Park the rent now is as low as 8k if you ask at the property.  

My example was to show you that you can get so called Western standard for a low price, with 24 hr security , pool and a gym for  around 10k , plenty of condos around the area. 

I would never consider to buy again, only rent for me the next 20 years, it's too cheap. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/29/2024 at 9:26 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Its not new, many years old.

It's nicely presented, I was going to buy ground floor around 10 years ago but they have a damp issue and flood occasionally. 

QPM was Juristic manager but they were removed, I'd like to know why, I have an idea, I'd just like it confirmed. 

I bought a unit in 2013 and sold it with a small profit a couple of years later, the rental price was around 8 to 10k at the time + utility bills.

Plenty of units for rent today, I don't know the issues with damp, but maybe maintenance are going down . They used to be good.  

Edited by balo

On 3/4/2024 at 1:23 AM, balo said:

I owned it, I paid 1.3 million baht pre construction back in 2013 and sold it for 1.6 mill a few years later. I was lucky to get my money back before the condo market collapsed. 

I rented it out for 10 k month +  utility bills. 
And in Paradise Park the rent now is as low as 8k if you ask at the property.  

My example was to show you that you can get so called Western standard for a low price, with 24 hr security , pool and a gym for  around 10k , plenty of condos around the area. 

I would never consider to buy again, only rent for me the next 20 years, it's too cheap. 

Rented it short or long term?

Many people don't want to live like that when they are older. So you have the hassles of letting it out. When people are stuck long term in a tiny room like a college dorm they tend to complain and cause problems, want to move early, etc.

Edited by JimTripper

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

You were likely living in a tiny room though, almost like a college dorm.

Many people don't want to live like that when they are older.

I have a pal who lives like that here along with his Thai lady, heaven knows how they keep from getting under each other's feet. I spent too long in hotels during working life and do not want to return to the student bedsit environment now that it is over. 

• Like 1

I dont understand why, from an initial request for help, other people in the forum start talking about something else. The guy just asked for help about names of good Condominiums in a certain area, and there are people who talked about renting or buying... anyways, since the subject has changed, I would like to give my contribution about the new subject: 1) Investing money is always a question of HOW MUCH CAPITAL YOU HAVE , HOW GOOD YOU ARE AT MANAGING YOUR INVESTMENTS and YOUR TIME HORIZON. If you have enough capital you must diversify, and buying the condo where you live is normally a good choice. The problem NOW in Pattaya is that, unless you buy at  a great quality Condominium (for example North Point in Naklua) and at a very good price, probably you will not get your money back when u sell it, because there are more sellers than buyers. But if you invest lets say 30% of your capital in real estate, it is vital to invest the other 60% in the stock market (buying the dips) and 10% in gold. This is THE ONLY WAY TO DEFEAT the REAL inflation that is running at much more than 6% (as they claim). This was an example of a 10 years time horizon. Good luck to everybody  💪💪💪

• Like 2

On 3/5/2024 at 7:22 PM, JimTripper said:

Did the Op find something yet?

The OP didn't buy anything yet, and however that may sound strange to the trolls, 3 - 4 million baht you don't spend on a whim or on the first offer you get.

Firstly, I'm looking for a specific and limited area, so the tens of thousands available in other locations don't even come in question.

There is a lot for sale, but everyone want to make a profit on their purchase price 10 years ago. This is of course fed by the useless real estate agents, who just sit on their lazy bum, and expect to collect 3 > 5% on the sale.

Much of what is available also doesn't meet my requirements as stated in the OP. For example anything in Thai or company name, which is the majority of what is available, isn't considered.

Then when you start looking around, you discover all the shortcomings. For example, centara avenue, which has 380 units, has 20 car parkings per building. I went down to the basement, and from those 20 parkings more than half is occupied by cars with 2cm dust on them. So what happens in the weekends? Park the car on the street? No thanks

Also the 35 m² units on the ground floor with perimeter wall view, are not in my interest, regardless of some claiming they have a luxury condo and rent them out at premium prices. I have been in quite a few of those, even on higher floors, and they had no tenant, while it is high season.

Much of what I have seen, and which was told by the agent to be in perfect condition, needs a complete overhaul, some even need a complete new flooring and kitchen.

Last of all. I'm not in a hurry as I have my house, so I can wait for the right opportunity, which I'm sure will be available sooner than later. Just wait after Songkran, and there will be plenty, and that is even what the useless real estate agents admit to

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, BenStark said:

The OP didn't buy anything yet, and however that may sound strange to the trolls, 3 - 4 million baht you don't spend on a whim or on the first offer you get.

Firstly, I'm looking for a specific and limited area, so the tens of thousands available in other locations don't even come in question.

There is a lot for sale, but everyone want to make a profit on their purchase price 10 years ago. This is of course fed by the useless real estate agents, who just sit on their lazy bum, and expect to collect 3 > 5% on the sale.

Much of what is available also doesn't meet my requirements as stated in the OP. For example anything in Thai or company name, which is the majority of what is available, isn't considered.

Then when you start looking around, you discover all the shortcomings. For example, centara avenue, which has 380 units, has 20 car parkings per building. I went down to the basement, and from those 20 parkings more than half is occupied by cars with 2cm dust on them. So what happens in the weekends? Park the car on the street? No thanks

Also the 35 m² units on the ground floor with perimeter wall view, are not in my interest, regardless of some claiming they have a luxury condo and rent them out at premium prices. I have been in quite a few of those, even on higher floors, and they had no tenant, while it is high season.

Much of what I have seen, and which was told by the agent to be in perfect condition, needs a complete overhaul, some even need a complete new flooring and kitchen.

Last of all. I'm not in a hurry as I have my house, so I can wait for the right opportunity, which I'm sure will be available sooner than later. Just wait after Songkran, and there will be plenty, and that is even what the useless real estate agents admit to

Another option would be to rent a place for a year and just pretend you bought it. You could probably even just pay the rent up front for the whole year and not worry about it. Next year, get another place.

You are probably not going to make money buying & selling so I can't see that as a reason to buy instead of rent.

Edited by JimTripper

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Another option would be to rent a place for a year and just pretend you bought it. You could probably even just pay the rent up front for the whole year and not worry about it. Next year, get another place.

Which part of, I'm not interested to rent, as I have made clear a few times to you already, is it that you still fail to understand?

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Which part of, I'm not interested to rent, as I have made clear a few times to you already, is it that you still fail to understand?

Ok, but why?

I want to have a discussion here, not just spout off property names to you.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Sad 1

Ok, but why?

I don't need a discussion about why I don't want to rent, because first of all that is none of your business, and I made clear from the beginning that I'm only interested in BUYING a condo in the foreign quota. So please stay on topic.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Ok, but why?

The varied reasons 'why' some people prefer to buy, rather than rent, has been discussed in great length on numerous real estate threads.  I've responded a number of times with my reasons why, as have others.  I suggest you do some browsing of some of those earlier threads.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, newnative said:

The varied reasons 'why' some people prefer to buy, rather than rent, has been discussed in great length on numerous real estate threads.  I've responded a number of times with my reasons why, as have others.  I suggest you do some browsing of some of those earlier threads.  

I'm not interested in why "some people" do that. I'm interested in the Op's personal reasons. Those reasons are not discussed in past threads.

• Confused 1