And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

Galong

17 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I spent about 6 weeks in Hua Hin (on 3 different visits combined) looking around. In the end I decided against and went for Phuket.  Why?

• Phuket has more quality hospitals (albeit Hua Hin has some quality hospitals too ..., just a lessor number)
  • Too many local tourists from Bangkok flood Hua Hin on holidays - with massive numbers at times approaching Phuket ill informed tourist area madness
  • The main highway that runs through Hua Hin is horrific and makes the entire area unsuitable for me
  • Less sea tours / expeditions from Hua Hin than Phuket
  • Hua Hin has less international schools compared to Phuket
  • Hua Hin is Much MUCH MUCH further from an International Airport such as Phuket has
  • In Hua Hin, after viewing over 3 dozen different condos on the massive long  beach , I could not find  one  in decent shape, for a decent price, that I liked ... [ also one only gets a sunrise view over the water - and not a sunset view].
  • Not as wide a restaurant selection as Phuket (although Hua Hin does have many)

Don't get me wrong.  I do like Hua Hin.  I think it a great place.  I believe it will be ideal for some.   I have friends who live in that area - so it would be nice to be living in that area close to friends. 

Overall Hua Hin is SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than Phuket also.  The massively less expensive price can be important to many.

I urge many to look at Hua Hin. 

But Phuket edged out Hua Hin for me.

Thanks for the reply, it’s appreciated. 

22 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

If you keep going south from Hua Hin, there are progressively nicer and quieter beaches- Pranburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan City, etc.  Not great if you are into nightlife, but beautiful and relaxing.  Ao Manao Beach just south of Prachuap Khiri Khan is amazing.

Thanks for the reply, it’s appreciated. 

2 hours ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

Yet you comment so you must have a chip on your shoulder about not living here.

I do not live in New York or London but I do not make a special out-of-the-blue statement about it. Although I am going to London for a month next week.

To the people who do not like Phuket, yes please stay away as we have enough winging ex-pats already (I avoid them like the plague).

I laugh sometimes when I am in other areas for a visit, boring villages for example, some ex-pats tell me they do not live in Phuket for whatever reason and then they get on their twenty-year-old Honda Dream bike and ride off, I laugh and think, the real reason is you can not afford to live in here.

I can only speak for myself but I grew up where the nearest house (not village or town) was 3 miles from me. That is probably why I prefer to live in non tourist areas of Thailand