Srettha wishes for prosperous year for Thai-Chinese relationship

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-02-09-134606-1024x457.png

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin delivered his Chinese New Year message today, wishing a prosperous year for the relationship, trade and investment between Thailand and China and increased visits by the peoples of the two countries.

“Thailand welcomes and is ready to provide security for Chinese tourists, as Thais and Chinese are brothers and sisters,” he said.

Tourists and locals flocked to Yaowarat Road, in Bangkok’s Chinatown, in droves Thursday night, as it is beautifully illuminated by lanterns and bustling with street food stalls.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-02-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand welcomes and is ready to provide security for Chinese tourists, as Thais and Chinese are brothers and sisters,” he said

🤮🤮You might be but majority of Thais are not Chinese. Why don’t you go and live in Beijing if you love them so much? Then you can invite your brothers and sisters to visit you. 

• Like 1

Just now, daveAustin said:

You might be but majority of Thais are not Chinese. Why don’t you go and live in Beijing if you love them so much? Then you can invite your brothers and sisters to visit you. 

Thais have more cultural, linguistic, and genetic similarities with Chinese compared to most people who flee thousands of miles to find a decent living in foreign lands, possibly using  'wify' visas.

According to Wikipedia, 11–14% of Thailand's population is considered ethnic Chinese. However, Thai linguist Theraphan Luangthongkum claims that about 40% of the Thai population has at least partial Chinese ancestry.

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

9 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Thais have more cultural, linguistic, and genetic similarities with Chinese compared to most people who flee thousands of miles to find a decent living in foreign lands, possibly using  'wify' visas.

According to Wikipedia, 11–14% of Thailand's population is considered ethnic Chinese. However, Thai linguist Theraphan Luangthongkum claims that about 40% of the Thai population has at least partial Chinese ancestry.

And yet in another Wikipedia entry it shows that only 8600 Thais have gone to China to live with their "brothers," while 320,000 have gone to the USA alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_people

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

And yet in another Wikipedia entry it shows that only 8600 Thais have gone to China to live with their "brothers," while 320,000 have gone to the USA alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_people

comparing apples to oranges—the Thai diaspora to the partial Chinese ethnicity of Thai people. No wonder most people can't live a decent life in their home land and have to travel 10,000 miles to live in a foreign land like refugees (year-to-year permission to stay), possibly using a "wify" visa. 

40 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

, possibly using a "wify" visa. 

Do you manage to get this or similar in every post you write as I cannot believe the no. of times you keep repeating it.

What is your issue?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, topt said:

Do you manage to get this or similar in every post you write as I cannot believe the no. of times you keep repeating it.

What is your issue?

The very historically distinct Euro-trait of hating/despising or suspicion of everything China/Chinese for one reason or another. 

Deeply conditioned and ingrained.....goes back for ages. 

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

The very historically distinct Euro-trait of hating/despising or suspicion of everything China/Chinese for one reason or another. 

Deeply conditioned and ingrained.....goes back for ages. 

I think you have misunderstood his response and my reply - his comments (in many different threads) are generally, IMO, very disrespectful to married expats who may live here (Thailand) and irrelevant to any feelings about the Chinese. 

2 hours ago, topt said:

I think you have misunderstood his response and my reply - his comments (in many different threads) are generally, IMO, very disrespectful to married expats who may live here (Thailand) and irrelevant to any feelings about the Chinese. 

Or it is just confronting a certain portion of western 'expats' here that keep on moaning and mocking about every and anything Chinese (or Thai for that matter) while living in a country that is culturally, linguistically and historically much closer to the Sinosphere. Not to forget also that many 'Chinese' are much better integrated and ingrained in Thailand than their western counterparts.

The prime minister is not far off calling the two countries brothers and sisters, like it or not 🙂

19 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

comparing apples to oranges—the Thai diaspora to the partial Chinese ethnicity of Thai people. No wonder most people can't live a decent life in their home land and have to travel 10,000 miles to live in a foreign land like refugees (year-to-year permission to stay), possibly using a "wify" visa. 

I was invited by the Thai government to come here and work. Upon retirement I decided to stay. A "wify" (I guess you mean "wifey" and not "wifi") had nothing to do with it.