As Israel attacks Rafah, US offers only words of caution

image.png

As tensions escalate in the Gaza Strip, the United States has expressed its most pointed criticism yet of Israel's military actions, particularly regarding civilian casualties. Despite Secretary of State Antony Blinken's remarks urging Israel to prioritize civilian safety, there appears to be little indication that Washington's rhetoric will be followed by tangible action.

Blinken, who is on his fifth visit to the region since the deadly Hamas attack on October 7, emphasized the need for Israel to prioritize civilian protection, especially in areas like Rafah, where over a million displaced individuals are seeking refuge. However, when pressed on whether the U.S. would intervene as Israeli forces target Rafah, Blinken reiterated the importance of civilian-centric military operations without outlining specific consequences for non-compliance.

While U.S. diplomats have consistently urged Israel to alter its tactics in Gaza, there has been minimal progress in influencing Israeli military strategy. Despite calls to restrict military assistance or change its stance at the United Nations, the U.S. has refrained from taking more decisive measures, leading to criticism that it fosters a sense of impunity for Israel.

Aaron David Miller of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace attributes this reluctance to factors such as President Joe Biden's unwavering support for Israel and political considerations. He suggests that until there is concrete evidence of Israel's willingness to adjust its approach, significant intervention from the U.S. is unlikely.

Rafah, located on the Egyptian border in southern Gaza, has become a focal point of Israeli airstrikes, prompting fears of an impending ground assault. While Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant has signaled an expansion of the military campaign to target militants in the city, White House spokesperson John Kirby warned that any assault on Rafah must consider civilian lives to avoid catastrophe.

The conflict in Gaza has resulted in a significant loss of life, with nearly 28,000 people killed according to health officials. Israel launched its offensive in response to a Hamas incursion into southern Israel on October 7, which resulted in casualties and hostages. While Blinken acknowledged the trauma inflicted on Israelis, he stressed the importance of not dehumanizing others in retaliation.

Israel maintains that it takes precautions to minimize civilian casualties and accuses Hamas of using civilians as shields. However, Hamas denies these allegations, further complicating efforts to mitigate the humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

As the situation in Gaza continues to escalate, the effectiveness of diplomatic efforts to curb violence and protect civilians remains uncertain. Despite U.S. admonitions, the conflict shows no signs of abating, underscoring the urgent need for meaningful dialogue and international intervention to prevent further loss of life and alleviate the suffering of civilians caught in the crossfire.

Source

Full transcript here: https://eg.usembassy.gov/secretary-antony-j-blinken-at-a-press-availability/

image.png

3 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

"Netanyahu on Thursday said that the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) would “soon go into Rafah, Hamas’s last bastion.” The top commander in charge of Israel’s military operation in southern Gaza told CNN on Sunday that there was no plan in place yet for how to minimize civilian deaths in Rafah."
Netanyahu directs Israeli military to draw up plan to evacuate more than one million people from Rafah as offensive looms | CNN

This is just proof of the ongoing military plan to eliminate as many Palestinians from Gaza, and probably soon, the West Bank, as possible. This announcement by Israel is finally having the effect it should have long ago - the waning of support for Israel's bloody onslaught by members of the UN and the entire world community, including the USA.

The citizens of Rafah have no place to go. The IDF's previous commitments to a "safety zone" or "safe passage" have proven to be false, so even if they do propose one, it is not likely that Palestinians will believe them, or that it will be provided as promised.
‘Our last stop is Rafah’: trapped Palestinians await Israeli onslaught | Israel-Gaza war | The Guardian

Hopefully, before the IDF can start their indiscriminate killings, the UN and the world's governments will step up and put pressure on Israel to cease and start negotiating a settlement in good faith with the Palestinians instead of just referring to Hamas' latest offer as "delusional."
‘Our last stop is Rafah’: trapped Palestinians await Israeli onslaught | Israel-Gaza war | The Guardian

Israel-Gaza war: Netanyahu orders military to plan evacuations from Rafah

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has ordered the military to prepare to evacuate civilians from the southern Gazan city of Rafah ahead of an expanded offensive against Hamas.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68256510

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Israel-Gaza war: Netanyahu orders military to plan evacuations from Rafah

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has ordered the military to prepare to evacuate civilians from the southern Gazan city of Rafah ahead of an expanded offensive against Hamas.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68256510

Yes, and I'm sure all these IDF "plans" will work as well to protect Palestinian citizens in Rafah as the previous ones in the other parts of Gaza where there have been almost 70,000 killed injured.:angry:

Edited by WDSmart
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

Yes, and I'm sure all these IDF "plans" will work as well to protect Palestinian citizens in Rafah as the previous ones in the other parts of Gaza where there have been almost 70,000 killed injured.:angry:

What makes you think all those 70,000 were citizens and not also inclusive of 10,000 killed terrorists and 10,000 injured.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

What makes you think all those 70,000 were citizens and not also inclusive of 10,000 killed terrorists and 10,000 injured.

I don't know the breakdown of the (almost) 70,000 number. (The last I saw was actually 67,000 or so.) Some probably were Hamas fighters. There are two considerations there:

1. The breakdown will differ depending on whose numbers you are looking at. 
2. The identification of Hamas fighters will also differ. Hamas's figures would be less, and IDF's figures would be more. IDF would, understandably, count almost all adult male casualties as Hamas fighters. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

A quote from the link provided...

"We urge Israel to do more to help civilians, knowing full well that it faces an enemy that would never hold itself to those standards – an enemy that cynically embeds itself among men, women, and children, and fires rockets from hospitals, from schools, from mosques, from residential buildings; an enemy whose leaders surround themselves with hostages; an enemy that has declared publicly its goal:  to kill as many innocent civilians as it can, simply because they’re Jews, and to wipe Israel off the map. 

That’s why we’ve made clear that Israel is fully justified in confronting Hamas and other terrorist organizations.  And that’s why the United States has done more than any other country to support Israel’s right to ensure that October 7th never happens again. Israelis were dehumanized in the most horrific way on October 7th."

From my reading most Western countries have stated similar sentiments. Countries, including the President of the USA, do caution the Israelis to wind back the level of killing and injuries of the Gazan population whilst recognizing Hamas have made no such commitment / effort to lower civilian casualties. I understand the critique of Israel is, to put it simply, overkill.

Netanyahu has now demanded Gazans evacuate Rafah, for an IDF assault, with a current population estimated  at 1.2 million plus; where on earth are they going to go? 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2024/feb/09/middle-east-crisis-israel-gaza-war-hamas-updates

Yawn. Seriously. You must be joking.

Can you cite many such comments directed at Hamas?

Not ones in which this is brought up in conjunction with Israel's actions?

Can you cite many such from Arab countries supposedly supporting the Palestinians?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WDSmart said:

I don't know the breakdown of the (almost) 70,000 number. (The last I saw was actually 67,000 or so.) Some probably were Hamas fighters. There are two considerations there:

1. The breakdown will differ depending on whose numbers you are looking at. 
2. The identification of Hamas fighters will also differ. Hamas's figures would be less, and IDF's figures would be more. IDF would, understandably, count almost all adult male casualties as Hamas fighters. 

You do know as I posted it to you in the other topic. But for clarification:

Defense Minister Yoav Gallant said that after additional gains by the IDF in Khan Yunis, 10,000 Hamas fighters have been killed and 10,000 wounded.

https://www.jpost.com/israel-hamas-war/article-784787

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

"Netanyahu on Thursday said that the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) would “soon go into Rafah, Hamas’s last bastion.” The top commander in charge of Israel’s military operation in southern Gaza told CNN on Sunday that there was no plan in place yet for how to minimize civilian deaths in Rafah."
Netanyahu directs Israeli military to draw up plan to evacuate more than one million people from Rafah as offensive looms | CNN

This is just proof of the ongoing military plan to eliminate as many Palestinians from Gaza, and probably soon, the West Bank, as possible. This announcement by Israel is finally having the effect it should have long ago - the waning of support for Israel's bloody onslaught by members of the UN and the entire world community, including the USA.

The citizens of Rafah have no place to go. The IDF's previous commitments to a "safety zone" or "safe passage" have proven to be false, so even if they do propose one, it is not likely that Palestinians will believe them, or that it will be provided as promised.

Hopefully, before the IDF can start their indiscriminate killings, the UN and the world's governments will step up and put pressure on Israel to cease and start negotiating a settlement in good faith with the Palestinians instead of just referring to Hamas' latest offer as "delusional."

This is just proof of your lack of comprehension of things.

There is no such 'plan' let alone 'proof' of. Other than in your mind, that is.

Probably the West Bank soon? Where does this come from? Anything to support it?

You're just making up stuff as you go along.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You do know as I posted it to you in the other topic. But for clarification:

Defense Minister Yoav Gallant said that after additional gains by the IDF in Khan Yunis, 10,000 Hamas fighters have been killed and 10,000 wounded.

https://www.jpost.com/israel-hamas-war/article-784787

I don't know who Yoav Gallant is, and anyway, why would I believe him?

And even if this is true, that's still at least 50,000 to 60,000 civilian killed injured. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

And even if this is true, that's still at least 50,000 to 60,000 civilian killed injured. 

Do you know the Hamas official that reports the daily figures then?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

And you hold yourself to be an 'informed' poster.

He's Israel's minister of defense. When it suits, you quote him. When it doesn't, you don't know who he is.

Why would you believe Hamas's officials, then? Who are they?

Thought so.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Do you know the Hamas official that reports the daily figures then?

No, I didn't even know there was a Hamas official that reports the daily figures. I don't look for them daily, I just look them up on the Internet when I want to know the most recent total.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, WDSmart said:

No, I didn't even know there was a Hamas official that reports the daily figures. I don't look for them daily, I just look them up on the Internet when I want to know the most recent total.

Don't you think if you are going to use figures to back up claims you should check? You are the one who brought it up after all. Why would you believe one set and not the other?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Morch said:

And you hold yourself to be an 'informed' poster.

He's Israel's minister of defense. When it suits, you quote him. When it doesn't, you don't know who he is.

Why would you believe Hamas's officials, then? Who are they?

Thought so.

I've never held myself to by an "informed" poster. I've held myself to be a poster who watches CNN and reads some of the posts online (outside of AseanNow) about these topics. 

I don't know the names of all those involved, but don't see why that's important. I see the destruction and base my remarks on that. That's good enough for me.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Don't you think if you are going to use figures to back up claims you should check? You are the one who brought it up after all. Why would you believe one set and not the other?

I don't necessarily believe either set. I know both sets are biased and both sets, at best, give an approximation of the real numbers, which no one really knows. I take the totals that seem to be most revealing about what is really happening.

• Sad 1

I've never held myself to by an "informed" poster. I've held myself to be a poster who watches CNN and reads some of the posts online (outside of AseanNow) about these topics. 

I don't know the names of all those involved, but don't see why that's important. I see the destruction and base my remarks on that. That's good enough for me.

You have certainly said you were aware of things, claimed to have a good grasp of details, facts, reality when it comes to matters at hand. You want to quibble about 'informed'? Go right ahead.

You don't know the names of leaders. You don't know what parties are involved. You do not know their ideologies. You do not know who said what.

A whole lot of things you don't know.

Somehow doesn't give you pause before posting.

Edited by Morch
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Morch said:

You have certainly said you were aware of things, claimed to have a good grasp of details, facts, reality when it comes to matters at hand. You want to quibble about 'informed'? Go right ahead.

You don't know the names of leaders. You don't know what parties are involved. You do not know their ideologies. You do not know who said what.

A whole lot of things you don't know.

Somehow doesn't give you pause before posting.

I never said I have a good grasp of the details. I don't need the details to make a supposition. I can't say I know the facts or the reality because I don't think anyone really does. The "facts" are different depending on who you are reading or listening to online. And this entire war seems unreal to me.

I don't know the names of the leaders. I do know the names of the major parties involved. I do believe I know their ideologies, at least their bottom lines. It really doesn't matter who said what if you can't depend on the who or what they said. You have to make your own suppositions and draw your own conclusions.

Yes, there are a whole lot of things I don't know about this and everything else, but I'll guarantee my suppositions are more correct than your beliefs.

I don't pause before posting anything that interests me and that I want to share. There are some on these Topics that appreciate my neutrality and honesty and have told me so.

Edited by WDSmart
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

I don't necessarily believe either set. I know both sets are biased and both sets, at best, give an approximation of the real numbers, which no one really knows. I take the totals that seem to be most revealing about what is really happening.

Yet you only argued the credibility of the IDF figures, get real. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never said I have a good grasp of the details. I don't need the details to make a supposition. I can't say I know the facts or the reality because I don't think anyone really does. The "facts" are different depending on who you are reading or listening to online. And this entire war seems unreal to me.

I don't know the names of the leaders. I do know the names of the major parties involved. I do believe I know their ideologies, at least their bottom lines. It really doesn't matter who said what if you can't depend on the who or what they said. You have to make your own suppositions and draw your own conclusions.

Yes, there are a whole lot of things I don't know about this and everything else, but I'll guarantee my suppositions are more correct than your beliefs.

I don't pause before posting anything that interests me and that I want to share. There are some of these Topics that appreciate my neutrality and honesty and have told me so.

Seriously.

Considering you just demonstrated you can't even recall or admit what you posted a few hours ago, that 'never said' bit is laughable.

You don't need details.

You don't need facts.

You have your 'opinions' - and that's what counts.

Gotcha.

You denying the existence of facts is a feature of your posts.

That it's total BS, or that a whole lot of the facts are not disputed, doesn't seem to get through to you.

You do not know who the leaders are.

You do not know which parties are involved.

You most certainly do  not know their ideologies.

This got nothing to do with 'suppositions'.

This is about facts.

Them facts you deny.

Your are not 'neutral', nor are you 'honest'.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yet you only argued the credibility of the IDF figures, get real. 

The IDF figures were a breakdown of their total figures. And I'm sure they have a different total figure than Hamas has. And I'm sure Hamas has a different set of breakdown figures also. 

Who would you think would have the most accurate figures, those creating the deaths, wounding, and displacements, or those that are experiencing it? And, before you get set to scold me again, I'm sure both sides adjust their figures to suit their strategies and tactics.

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

Seriously.

Considering you just demonstrated you can't even recall or admit what you posted a few hours ago, that 'never said' bit is laughable.

You don't need details.

You don't need facts.

You have your 'opinions' - and that's what counts.

Gotcha.

You denying the existence of facts is a feature of your posts.

That it's total BS, or that a whole lot of the facts are not disputed, doesn't seem to get through to you.

You do not know who the leaders are.

You do not know which parties are involved.

You most certainly do  not know their ideologies.

This got nothing to do with 'suppositions'.

This is about facts.

Them facts you deny.

Your are not 'neutral', nor are you 'honest'.

All the above is just a bunch of M

Edited by WDSmart
  • Confused 1

The IDF figures were a breakdown of their total figures. And I'm sure they have a different total figure than Hamas has. And I'm sure Hamas has a different set of breakdown figures also. 

Who would you think would have the most accurate figures, those creating the deaths, wounding, and displacements, or those that are experiencing it? And, before you get set to scold me again, I'm sure both sides adjust their figures to suit their strategies and tactics.

You cite Hamas provided figures without question.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Feeble attempt to deflect your trust in the figures from Hamas and your distrust in the figures from IDF

• Agree 1

All the above is just a bunch of M! 

I guess you know what M means. Must be one of them personal definitions of yours.

What I posted was accurate, though. Even if you don't like it or agree with it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Morch said:

I guess you know what M means. Must be one of them personal definitions of yours.

What I posted was accurate, though. Even if you don't like it or agree with it.

Do you know what BS means? They are my initials using my nickname, Bill. I assume that's what you meant by that.

M means Morch. 

• Sad 1

Do you know what BS means? They are my initials using my nickname, Bill. I assume that's what you meant by that.

M means Morch. 

Oh, just more nonsense, then. Good, good.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Morch said:

Oh, just more nonsense, then. Good, good.

Here's more information for you...

I do not need to know all the details because I can conclude, make correct assumptions, and take appropriate actions by looking at the "big picture." I don't need to know all the details. I've had this ability my whole life, and my entire professional career was based on this.

Here's an example to explain it to you:

If I start to cross the street and look up and see a car bearing down on me at a high speed, I immediately step back on the curb.

I don't need to know the details: the make and year of the car, exactly how fast it is going, how many people are in it, what the driver's name is, etc. I immediately assess the situation and step back on the curb.

Do you understand now? Or do you need more details? 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1