Israeli Soldier Videos from Gaza Raise International Law Concerns

Social Media

image.png

Videos posted by Israeli soldiers depicting the treatment of Palestinian detainees in Gaza have prompted legal experts to raise concerns about potential breaches of international law.

Under international law, detainees must be treated with dignity and should not be subjected to unnecessary humiliation or public display. However, a recent investigation by BBC Verify revealed several videos shared by Israeli soldiers that appear to show the mistreatment of Palestinian detainees.

While most of the videos analyzed by BBC Verify showed scenes of combat and soldiers inspecting abandoned homes, eight of them depicted the ill-treatment of Palestinian detainees. These videos were openly shared by serving or former Israeli soldiers, who did not conceal their identities.

One account, belonging to Israeli soldier Yossi Gamzoo Letova, uploaded multiple videos from Gaza, including footage showing a Palestinian detainee being interrogated and later marched barefoot through the streets. The IDF acknowledged the incident and terminated the reservist's service for violating orders and IDF values.

Another video, posted by Letova, showed hundreds of Palestinian detainees gathered in a sports field, many of them stripped to their underwear and some blindfolded. The IDF removed these videos from Letova's YouTube page after being contacted by BBC Verify.

Additionally, videos posted on TikTok by another IDF soldier, Ilya Blank, included images of blindfolded detainees packed into a truck and soldiers posing with guns. These videos were also removed after BBC Verify's inquiry.

Legal experts pointed out that such treatment of detainees could violate the Third Geneva Convention, which mandates the protection of prisoners of war from violence, intimidation, insults, and public curiosity. Dr. Mark Ellis, a UN advisor, emphasized the importance of not degrading or humiliating prisoners, stating that the actions depicted in the videos would likely violate international rules.

Professor Asa Kasher, who helped draft the IDF's code of conduct, condemned the sharing of images depicting half-naked detainees, stating that it goes against the IDF's ethical standards. Human rights lawyer Michael Mansfield suggested that the footage should be reviewed by a UN court.

Both TikTok and YouTube took action to remove the videos from their platforms, citing violations of their community guidelines. TikTok stated that content degrading victims of violent tragedies is not tolerated, while YouTube reported removing thousands of harmful videos related to the conflict between Israel and Gaza.

The investigation underscores the need for adherence to international law and ethical standards in the treatment of detainees, particularly in conflict zones like Gaza.

Source

image.png

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Hamas have a much better civilian to militant death ratio

Where do you source this info from? If you compare IDF kill ratio after Oct 7 it's estimated approx  27,000 killed to date out of which roughly 9000 are from Hamas which is a similar ration to Hamas killing on Oct 7.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brickleberry said:

I do not accept that Israel has killed 9000 Hamas militants. We know that Israel has killed 28,000 Palestinians, and we know that at least 70% of them are women and children. Hamas comes out at 2 civilians per 1 IDF soldier, Israel's comes to 3 Civilians per 1 Hamas militant... And that is ONLY if you believe that every single man Israel killed was a Hamas militant. Details and source below.

For Israel to have killed 9000 Hamas militants, every single man they have killed thus far would have to be a terrorist. Seems highly unlikely considering the amount of women and children killed, that every single man was a Hamas militant. It would be incredible really, because that would mean no men in Gaza are innocent civilians. I suppose that is what Israel believes anyway.

https://www.barrons.com/news/new-tally-puts-october-7-attack-dead-in-israel-at-1-163-78182279

The latest death toll from the attack is now 767 civilians, 20 hostages and 376 members of the security forces, giving a total of 1,163. One person remains missing.

I do not accept that Israel has killed 9000 Hamas militants.

Good, I don't accept only 9,000 killed either:

Defense Minister Yoav Gallant said that after additional gains by the IDF in Khan Yunis, 10,000 Hamas fighters have been killed and 10,000 wounded.

https://www.jpost.com/israel-hamas-war/article-784787

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

So you seem to think that every single male killed in Gaza was a militant?

Amazing really, Palestinian men must be extremely lucky. Thousands of women and children 'accidentally' killed but every single man was a legitimate target. Do you really expect people to swallow that horse💩?

@Brickleberry

Hamas's ideology actually holds that every Israeli male of military service age is a combatant, regardless of whether they are or not.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

So you seem to think that every single male killed in Gaza was a militant?

Amazing really, Palestinian men must be extremely lucky. Thousands of women and children 'accidentally' killed but every single man was a legitimate target. Do you really expect people to swallow that horse💩?

Do you really expect people to swallow that horse💩?

I see you are by believing everything from Hamas officials figures then

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Morch said:

Even Israeli sources claim only a third (or so) of this figure pertains to 'terrorists'.

they are trained from kindergarten to terrorize 

I'll feel safer in my business class flight thanks to Israeli army.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Celsius said:

they are trained from kindergarten to terrorize 

I'll feel safer in my business class flight thanks to Israeli army.

That's got nothing to do with what you posted, and my reply.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Do you really expect people to swallow that horse💩?

I see you are by believing everything from Hamas officials figures then

Hamas figures have been found to be consistently true over each and every conflict since they have been in charge. Do you deny this fact?

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-gaza-health-ministry-health-death-toll-59470820308b31f1faf73c703400b033

Screenshot(74).png.65109e1868294d9012df5fd4b5aa071e.png

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brickleberry said:

Hamas figures have been found to be consistently true over each and every conflict since they have been in charge. Do you deny this fact?

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-gaza-health-ministry-health-death-toll-59470820308b31f1faf73c703400b033

@Brickleberry

Hamas supplied figures do not differentiate between civilians and combatants.

8 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

And? Trying to justify your complete distrust of IDF figures you need some evidence. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

And? Trying to justify your complete distrust of IDF figures you need some evidence. 

And? What do you mean 'and?' You said the figures from Hamas cannot be trusted. I have proven otherwise. Your buddy 'Morch' agrees too.

20 minutes ago, Morch said:

And...?

• Confused 1

Not many countries are supporting Israel in this. Even the usa has made some very dubious statements concerning Israel’s tactics. Their #1 allay is making quasi anti Israel statements. And people still do not get it. And never will I suppose. I guess if Israel just wiped them all off the map your positions would remain unchanged. At least you’re consistent. 

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

And? What do you mean 'and?' You said the figures from Hamas cannot be trusted. I have proven otherwise. Your buddy 'Morch' agrees too.

Here is the and.....................

image.png.89667594efcce51c400d14406da24a20.png

You obviously don't believe IDF figures, where is you evidence for that. 

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here is the and.....................

image.png.89667594efcce51c400d14406da24a20.png

You obviously don't believe IDF figures, where is you evidence for that. 

Where is the IDF evidence?

Its just basic math. Over 70% of the victims are women and children. that leaves around 9000 men. For Israel's figures to be correct, every single man would have to be a terrorist for their claims to be true. This would make Palestinian men the luckiest people on this Earth, because they are not being 'accidentally' killed - they are all terrorists. Not one Palestinian man was innocent according to the IDF's figures. Work it out yourself, put your thinking caps on. Stop drinking Israel's cool aid.

• Confused 1

Just now, Brickleberry said:

Where is the IDF evidence?

Its just basic math. Over 70% of the victims are women and children. that leaves around 9000 men. For Israel's figures to be correct, every single man would have to be a terrorist for their claims to be true. This would make Palestinian men the luckiest people on this Earth, because they are not being 'accidentally' killed - they are all terrorists. Not one Palestinian man was innocent according to the IDF's figures. Work it out yourself, put your thinking caps on. Stop drinking Israel's cool aid.

Basic math? So you trust the figures by Hamas who we know do not separate out Hamas terrorist deaths but you trust them to separate out women and children, those children by the way who are up to the age of 18 years.

The official figures didn't do so well in the al-Ahli Arab Hospital strike in the car park when Hamas officials first said 800 killed, then it went down to 500. US and European intelligence puts it far lower anything between 100 or 200 hundred.

Again you need evidence not your speculation

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Really? You cheer for the death of 28,000 people? Very brave of an anonymous commentator. Some would say this is a bit monstrous

Bet I experienced more real war situations than you did. Literally escaped a civil war in my country while being prepped for the service at the age of 19

I really hate those muzzie terrorists or anyone that spreads violence and hatred. those 28k deaths are no big loss for humanity.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Basic math? So you trust the figures by Hamas who we know do not separate out Hamas terrorist deaths but you trust them to separate out women and children, those children by the way who are up to the age of 18 years.

The official figures didn't do so well in the al-Ahli Arab Hospital strike in the car park when Hamas officials first said 800 killed, then it went down to 500. US and European intelligence puts it far lower anything between 100 or 200 hundred.

Again you need evidence not your speculation

Well then, I suggest that you follow your own advice and wait for the IDF to produce some evidence for:

UNRWA allegations - not a single shred of evidence has been produced to back up these claims

Systemic rape claims - not a single shred of evidence has been produced to back up the claims of systemic rape

9000 Hamas fighters killed - not a single shred of evidence has been produced to back up this claim.

Think for yourself. How could the IDF's numbers possibly be true? It doesn't add up.

• Sad 1