Is it okay to keep my external harddrive connected to my PC 24/7?

Furioso

I've got a Win 10 Mini PC with limited HDD space(for now). I copy a lot of big files to my Ext. HDD(Toshiba 1.5TB) and it's always connected via USB cable. My PC is on approx 12 hours a day, then sleep mode for the other 12. Thanks. 

other than my backup WD Ext. HDD, the other 3 WD Ext .USB HDD have been connected for years [ 1 x 1TB + 2 x2 TB]

on the oldest Ext. 1TB HDD just looked some items date back to 2012, so it has been plugged in for 14 years.

• Thanks 1

I have a total of 5 drives connected to my computer.

All the drives are HHD except for my main system drive which is SSD.

The SSD obviously is in use constantly but the remaining HHD's are only used occasionally for reference, storage or backup and whatever. 

The point is these HHD's need not be spinning all the time, only need to power up when called for. I have set up a power plan so the HDD's power down after 10minuites of inactivity and only power up again when I click on them.

OK so when I click on one of the idle HDD's it can takes a few moments to wake up, but I think its worth the wear saved by not running idle all day and night just waiting to be called on.

Just thought I'd pass it on  :smile:

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, zhounan said:

I am a professional photographer.

I have lived from archiving all my career.

If you'll allow me one advice: always keep two identical hard drives, never trust one.

Yes, and sync your photos to the cloud as an extra backup. There's nothing that damages the soul more than losing your precious media.

1 hour ago, Baht Simpson said:

Yes, and sync your photos to the cloud as an extra backup. There's nothing that damages the soul more than losing your precious media.

Allow me to disagree.

"Precious media" and "cloud" are incompatible words, as long as the cloud is owned by you.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Furioso said:

I've got a Win 10 Mini PC with limited HDD space(for now). I copy a lot of big files to my Ext. HDD(Toshiba 1.5TB) and it's always connected via USB cable. My PC is on approx 12 hours a day, then sleep mode for the other 12. Thanks. 

Yes, if a hard drive is powered on and spinning for 12 hours a day, but not being used very much during that time, then it is putting unnecessary wear and tear on the drive. I would recommend disconnecting it from the PC when it is not being used. 

Hard drives (unlike SSD drives) are mechanical devices and have oil in them to keep them lubricated so that the platter can spin continuously without locking up. 

The more that the hard drive platter spins then the faster the oil will get used up and eventually the hard drive could freeze and seize. 

I suggest installing a free program called Crystal Disk. This program monitors HDD usage time, spin time, temperature, general hard drive health and points out any errors on the drive in real time.

Normally, before a hard drive dies, Crystal Disk will be able to warn you that the drive's health is poor, which gives you a chance to replace the drive before it dies so that you don't lose any data. 

Shouldnt be a problem. It is essentially the same as having a USB connected all the time. If you have private documents on the drive I wouldnt leave it connected just as a matter of security but the connection shouldnt be a problem.

21 hours ago, Furioso said:

I trust my ext. HDD to last a long time but you're right, you never know when it will crap out.

Anything can crap out anytime it pleases. Long as you keep your backups (backup the backup) current, you're good.

With external drives, before the HDD craps out (modern drives are more reliable these days), I've seen issues with the connectors. Sometimes a simple spray with electrical contact cleaner is enough. Sometimes get loose. Seen issues with the little adapter board. You can always take the drive out and fit it into another external USB case. Some manufactures don't like that idea and make it a bit more difficult. Can work around that annoyance, however.