Bill Maher viciously roasts expats and expat destinations

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Think, again....

Mon Chéri....because, in the USA, I could NOT be happy anywhere other than....

Gladwyne, or...maybe....

Darien, Connecticut.

CT_-_Darien_-_15.png

im-526916

Sorry, GG, but I'll take exception to your comments, and maybe burst a bubble.

The first exception is that Maher is quite intelligent, but years and years of weed have probably taken a few billion brain cells and a whole lot of IQ points. His Random show puts it in living color. Maher insists weed gives him insight, though watching Random disabuses outside objective observers from affirming that. Nothing whose sole reason to be is to get one high---literally altering brain chemistry---is positive long term.

As for Darien, it's frightfully boring, and is known as the town where hedge fund managers who can't afford Greenwich settle. It makes for a slightly longer commute to the City. It's not Paradise on Earth. That would be Pebble Beach and its surrounding area.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, uttradit said:

Yes he is a bottom shelf dweller. Only popular with non thinking Americans.

That's a bold statement, Sparky. Certainly I would put any Maher fan in a Mensa test room with a trumper and give odds on who comes out on top. It ain't gonna be no trumper (I know....double negative and slang). Person Man Woman Camera TV is John von Neumann-level to a trumper.

Admittedly, Maher is slipping as weed and age take a toll, but he is one of the few mainstream interviewers who purposely brings divergent views to the table. Heck, he even had Bannon on once, and (though Maher himself doesn't seem to remember it) Vivek Ramaswamy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Sorry, GG, but I'll take exception to your comments, and maybe burst a bubble.

The first exception is that Maher is quite intelligent, but years and years of weed have probably taken a few billion brain cells and a whole lot of IQ points. His Random show puts it in living color. Maher insists weed gives him insight, though watching Random disabuses outside objective observers from affirming that. Nothing whose sole reason to be is to get one high---literally altering brain chemistry---is positive long term.

As for Darien, it's frightfully boring, and is known as the town where hedge fund managers who can't afford Greenwich settle. It makes for a slightly longer commute to the City. It's not Paradise on Earth. That would be Pebble Beach and its surrounding area.

I once lived in Greenwich, by the way.

Probably...before you were born.

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps, but I'll be laughing like a drain looking at U Tube clips of the snowflakes melting down after he wins. I so much enjoyed that the first time around.

I was one of those people.  Took me some time to let go of my hate which I only have felt for a few people in the past.  A person would have to be a terrible person IMO for me to hate them.  many of my friends respected him which to this day I don't get.  With time I became more level headed and started to see some of the good he was doing that transcended his horrendous character.  In the end, his presidency was bearable and I could deal with another 4 years of Trump this time around without the meltdown.  Live and learn I guess.

11 hours ago, uttradit said:

Does it matter? Who cares what Bill Maher says? Short weirdo who has never married. I'm surprised he has a career.

So short people and people that don't get married is people we should look down on?

I guess you must have been married many times and count that a success.

Mayer is an entertainer, period. I get a kick out of his monologues. I don't have to agree with his opinions all the time, lately he's been making fun of biden as well as Trump. I like his war on the woke brigade. I tune into him for a laugh and a different insight into the world around us.

Just like Joe Rogan, he has some interesting people on his show. I tune into him all the time as well. 

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Maher is a pseudo-intellectual, who is extremely intelligent...in his own mind.

In actuality, he is just a bombastic nitwit of the 4th kind.

Hate this guy.

His opinions are soaked up, verbatim, without any filtering, by his tribe....

They will all go to their graves with supercilious smiles that even the most skilled undertaker will be unable to remove from their sour pusses.

Oh, when I see texts like this one, I often just reply 'Jealousy will get you nowhere'. 😊

And this word 'hate', I do not recall ever saying or writing that word.

And I keep in mind this thought that I ended up having, after reading on notions like 'I do not like it', vs 'I do not know this'.

So when I hear this 'I do not like it', I ask: "Tell me something that you know very well, that has merit, and that you do not like".

So might be that you simply do not know this guy Bill Maher.

As an example, just close your eyes, and think about him being your father, a father who is successful, perhaps witty in a way that is just not your style, but ended up successful in his style of entertainment.... Entertainment that you would not particularly like, and maybe just saying "Dad, geez, modify your content a bit". But would you end up 'hating' him for not modifying it to your taste?

And just a quote here:

"Hate goes beyond the simple dislike of something. Hate is true venom at the core of your being - it’s an emotion that is toxic to your heart and soul. Hate breeds resentment, grudges, and creates a victim mentality. Ick - who wants to carry that around?"

Regards.

13 hours ago, Furioso said:

It's ironic that Bill Maher's showrunners have to hire and pay people in the audience to laugh LOUD at every single joke. His writers are hit and miss, you can tell he's had the same one's for decades. 

Real Time was a good show for the first ten years or so but now it's very lazy..and stale. 

Not sure that's correct. There may be staff members in the audience and therefore, technically paid, but tickets for civilians are available and free.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Mayer is an entertainer, period. I get a kick out of his monologues. I don't have to agree with his opinions all the time, lately he's been making fun of biden as well as Trump. I like his war on the woke brigade. I tune into him for a laugh and a different insight into the world around us.

Just like Joe Rogan, he has some interesting people on his show. I tune into him all the time as well. 

Biden has been saying for months that Joe is far too long in the tooth.

1 hour ago, bokningar said:

So short people and people that don't get married is people we should look down on?

I guess you must have been married many times and count that a success.

Never travelled

Drinks a lot

Smokes a lot

Never married

Slags off Trump a lot

He doesn't offer any great insights to anything. Seems like an addict.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, uttradit said:

Bill jokes about prostitutes. How ironic. Never married 55

Never married and himself a prostitute's client. Calling the women he pays for sex "whores". Not very nice.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, uttradit said:

Does it matter? Who cares what Bill Maher says? Short weirdo who has never married. I'm surprised he has a career. Wouldn't make it elsewhere.

"Wouldn't make it elsewhere."

Right, because English-speaking entertainers all aspire to be popular in South Africa, Gibraltar, and Tasmania.

Who would want to be successful in the USA?

• Haha 2

Just now, cdemundo said:

"Wouldn't make it elsewhere."

Right, because English-speaking entertainers all aspire to be popular in South Africa, Gibraltar, and Tasmania.

Who would want to be successful in the USA?

Do you think he is talented? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Maher is a pseudo-intellectual, who is extremely intelligent...in his own mind.

In actuality, he is just a bombastic nitwit of the 4th kind.

Hate this guy.

His opinions are soaked up, verbatim, without any filtering, by his tribe....

They will all go to their graves with supercilious smiles that even the most skilled undertaker will be unable to remove from their sour pusses.

"a pseudo-intellectual, who is extremely intelligent...in his own mind.

In actuality, he is just a bombastic nitwit of the 4th kind."

Huh, Bill Maher ya say?

• Haha 1

I am not a big fan of Bill Maher but he can be very funny.

Is he successful?

He had enough spare change under the couch cushions to contribute a million dollars to an Obama super Pac in 2011.

He is certainly financially successful.

Just now, cdemundo said:

I am not a big fan of Bill Maher but he can be very funny.

Is he successful?

He had enough spare change under the couch cushions to contribute a million dollars to an Obama super Pac in 2011.

He is certainly financially successful.

He is and at the time he made it clear that million was not a trivial amount for him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

"a pseudo-intellectual, who is extremely intelligent...in his own mind.

In actuality, he is just a bombastic nitwit of the 4th kind."

Huh, Bill Maher ya say?

Self awareness is a dangerous thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

Never married and himself a prostitute's client. Calling the women he pays for sex "whores". Not very nice.

I don't think he's into commercial sex. Not all single men are whoremongers. Plenty of women are attracted to wealthy fit for their age men.

2 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

"Bill Maher viciously roasts expats and expat destinations"

Where is the 'vicious' part? You may like, or not like, the segment, but to use a word as strong as 'vicious' seems an exaggeration. 

Made you look.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I generally agree. 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There are no comedians especially political comedians that everyone will find funny.

I would class it as mildly amusing but not humorous or funny.

I think he referred to abortion laws in Sri Lanka but no mention of Alabama

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Confused 1

Just now, VocalNeal said:

I would class it as mildly amusing but not humorous or funny.

So don't watch him.

Like I said I'm a fan but that doesn't mean agreeing with him about everything he says..That's part of the fun of watching him.

• Agree 1