Bill Maher viciously roasts expats and expat destinations

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Can never get into America comedians or jokes .

Dry jokes not even funny

Just not funny compared to the British ones ,even Australians ones are better !

Seinfeld, Chappelle, Eddie Murphy, Bill Burr. I think Chris Rock is overrated though.

On 2/10/2024 at 7:14 PM, JackGats said:

Little of what he says is funny. I was never a big fan of Maher but I gave him credit for being funnier than this. I also don't find John Cleese very funny any more. Comedians are overrated. They'll die out with television.

Ricky Gervais still makes me laugh..

Ugh.....watched the first couple of minutes.....first comment was pretty funny, then it went downhill into the America is Great soliloquy, so I turned off. His face, especially his horrid nose, is like a putty sculpture and makes me a bit sick too. 

On 2/10/2024 at 7:56 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Think, again....

Mon Chéri....because, in the USA, I could NOT be happy anywhere other than....

Gladwyne, or...maybe....

Darien, Connecticut.

CT_-_Darien_-_15.png

im-526916

Greenwich is nicer. So is New Canaan. 

21 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Can never get into America comedians or jokes .

Dry jokes not even funny

Just not funny compared to the British ones ,even Australians ones are better !

There are many thousands of working American comedians. I don't think you can fairly generalize such a diverse culture. You obviously just have a closed mind. It depends on the comedian not the nationality.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Ugh.....watched the first couple of minutes.....first comment was pretty funny, then it went downhill into the America is Great soliloquy, so I turned off. His face, especially his horrid nose, is like a putty sculpture and makes me a bit sick too. 

Translation you didn’t even watch it.

On 2/10/2024 at 7:03 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Maher is a pseudo-intellectual, who is extremely intelligent...in his own mind.

In actuality, he is just a bombastic nitwit of the 4th kind.

Hate this guy.

His opinions are soaked up, verbatim, without any filtering, by his tribe....

They will all go to their graves with supercilious smiles that even the most skilled undertaker will be unable to remove from their sour pusses.

He used to be funny, but his monologues nowadays sound very  contrived, good for a chuckle or two at best.

Definitely not a nitwit though. 

What I don't like about him is he fancies himself progressive left leaning, enlightened, down to earth, when he is nothing of the sort  he is right wing in a progressive disguise. 

On 2/10/2024 at 6:53 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes, it's meant to be humor so I guess take it as such.

Jingthing, thanks for sharing. I have not listened to Maher for some time, probably as long ago as before I retired here in Chiang Mai 12 1/2 years ago. Yes, I appreciate his roasting those who threaten to leave the USA because things are so bad … afterall, it could get seriously worse at the rate some nimrods are going. But I know he is not talking about me as an Expat who has fled the USA. My reasoning would make great material to use with backhanded humor also. I have joined millions of other working middle class retired Americans as an economic refugee unable to live a working middle class retirement in the USA on my sustainable $2400.00 USD per month ($1570 of that from SS). Just the facts …

Edited by Wrwest

On 2/10/2024 at 9:36 PM, Baht Simpson said:

Curiously, Amsterdam is the only city in the world where I've had a knife pulled on me.

Grew up in South Jersey, Philadelphia Met area (no not Camden). The only place I had a knife pulled on me in the 30 countries I have studied (7 of those) or visited.

25 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

I get what you're saying but I doubt Maher is really interested in economic refugees from the US. He's been rich for a long time. I agree that people who threaten to.leave the US because of who is president left or right are asking to be mocked.

Personally that had nothing to do with my decision.

It is true that there are cases where that makes good sense such as Russians leaving Russia because of Putin's politicies.

"His opinions are soaked up, verbatim, without any filtering, by his tribe....

They will all go to their graves with supercilious smiles that even the most skilled undertaker will be unable to remove from their sour pusses."

You are correct about Maher being an Pseudo-intellectual. Just check on the Maher archives for his interviews with Matt Taibbi and Glenn Greenwald. You may not be a fan of either of the two, but they are experienced, award winning journalists and they research their subjects. Whereas Maher's research is superficial at best. 

Bill Maher is more of a gatekeeper for the status quo than a true social critic. I do think he is funny at times, but he is a hollow liberal. 

The excerpt of Maher on this post is a classic example of the "Ugly American" profile many host countries draw of American tourists.

Edited by jingjai9

3 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Who is Bill Maher?

Pot smoker, drinker, prostitute user who votes left and has a tv show and podcast. On the podcast he just gets drunk and embarrasses himself. He comes off looking like a 14yo kid who got stoned and is wearing an old face mask. One of the dumbest guys ever to host a tv show.