Has The World Gone Mad?

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No, I'm saying that a person can be born with traits of both genders along a scale, like 1 to 100 if you will. Almost nobody hits either 1 or 100. The preponderance of genetic factors which determine sex can vary widely, both hormonal  and physical, not to mention mental... Some identify as asexual and some as both sexes. Human behaviour bears that out. A failure to understand that requires a reluctance to want to find out. That said, those those who comment without that understanding can be assumed to have an ulterior motive.

Maybe you need to accept that some people cannot view the world other than in black and white, and if it needs more sophistication than Oliver and Hardy, or Harold Lloyd, that is beyond them. Even Woke people need to understand and accommodate other people’s limitations.

18 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Maybe you need to accept that some people cannot view the world other than in black and white, and if it needs more sophistication than Oliver and Hardy, or Harold Lloyd, that is beyond them. Even Woke people need to understand and accommodate other people’s limitations.

One man's limitations is another man's bigotry. Sorry, I l have little time for those who don't understand the fundamentals of issues they comment on. Understanding that gender isn't binary is basic civics these days.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, ozimoron said:

No, I'm saying that a person can be born with traits of both genders along a scale, like 1 to 100 if you will. Almost nobody hits either 1 or 100. The preponderance of genetic factors which determine sex can vary widely, both hormonal  and physical, not to mention mental... Some identify as asexual and some as both sexes. Human behaviour bears that out. A failure to understand that requires a reluctance to want to find out. That said, those those who comment without that understanding can be assumed to have an ulterior motive.

Every human ( except a few hermaphrodites ) is born with either male or female genitals, ergo every human is either male or female. PERIOD.

If an adult wishes to live as a person of the opposite gender, that's OK by me, but they will never actually BE a person of the opposite gender.

IMO no child should be allowed to have any permanent physical alterations done as children don't know anything, let alone what they want to be when they grow up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

LOL. The point of being woke is that only woke people are right and everyone else is wrong.

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Typical woke response.  Gender has nothing to do with so called "civics" but all to do with biology and science!

I said that "understanding" the science is basic civics and that is why it's now taught in schools, much to the chagrin of the religious right.

Scientists and doctors have done the research so you don't have to. All you need to do is accept what they concluded, that's the civics part.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, ozimoron said:

You're getting a little to involved - genetics or whatever have nothing to do with the topic or the examples that I have used. 

People may or may not wish to understand why variations in actual and perceived gender exists. They may also not be interested or particularly bothered about how people 'identity'.

The point is that we are being asked, in some cases told to accept such variations and address people according to their wishes.  Some may not have a problem with that, others, myself included, reserve the right to address someone correctly - as in by their actual gender.  I can't speak for others but my reasoning for that is that a man is a man..............bla bla bla.

Moving on to the offence taken, I find it quite ridiculous that 'No Trans' is , in some areas, considered as 'Hate Speech'.  Likewise, returning to the example of Sam Smith, the British singer, I cannot work out how he is harmed be being refered to as he or him.  I am unlikely to be addressing him but if I was it would be as a male - because he is a male. If he objected to that, up to him - I'm not about to start re-defining what and what is not offensive.  Once we start going down that path (which, to some extent we have) - it will just go on and on.

The more society panders to the whims of these people, the crazier things are going to get.

Edited by MangoKorat

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Every human ( except a few hermaphrodites ) is born with either male or female genitals, ergo every human is either male or female. PERIOD.

If an adult wishes to live as a person of the opposite gender, that's OK by me, but they will never actually BE a person of the opposite gender.

IMO no child should be allowed to have any permanent physical alterations done as children don't know anything, let alone what they want to be when they grow up.

Well said,

I would add to that that during a recent UK TV documentary on the subject of changing gender amongst young kids, a physologist stated that the majority of their time in recent years has been spent counselling young people who had gone through the change and now wanted to change back!

17 hours ago, ozimoron said:

One man's limitations is another man's bigotry. Sorry, I l have little time for those who don't understand the fundamentals of issues they comment on. Understanding that gender isn't binary is basic civics these days

You're missing the point.  You are also making an incorrect statement.

The Point:

I don't give a damn if a guy wants to identify as a Gay Giraffe, He is welcome to consider Himself as whatever He so wishes to me, and I believe the majority of the sane world, he's a male human and I for one will always address Him as such.

Incorrect Statement:

Human Gender Is in fact binary (with some extremely minor exceptions) - the difference here is that some people wish to consider themselves non-binary - that does not change their biological make-up. There are of course some variations such as Gay Male but their actual gender is still male.

They can say they are non binary but its up to others as to whether they accept the 'perceived' gender.

General:

You state that 'understanding that gender isn't binary is just basic civics'. You don't say it but its clear that you feel this 'binary' thing is actually meaning that its up to the individual and the rest of us should accept that.

So let's take it outside the 'gender' issue for a moment and consider a different matter but with similar traits.

I'm a white male but how would it be if I grew dreadlocks, blacked up and spoke with a Jamaican accent (such people do exists as it happens)? If I then said that I identify as black?  Would, or should you accept that I am a black man? Would that also form part of your 'basic civics'?

Edited by MangoKorat