Has The World Gone Mad?

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not that I watched a lot of East Enders, but I don't recall any male to male snogging on it. Times really have changed.

I don't watch any tv now, not because of that, but because it's <deleted> garbage and contaminated by ads seemingly every 5 minutes. When they have channels that show nothing but "infomercials" I know that our "civilization" is on it's last legs. When it finally gets killed off IMO it'll be a mercy killing.

First "Gay Kiss"on U.K. t.v. - Eastenders 1989. Lots of pearl clutching at the time.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Walker88 said:

The world has not gone any more mad than it has always been. What happens is that many old people, as they age, become bitter and let fairly meaningless things bother them and occupy way too many of their waking thoughts. To some extent such bitterness comes as the signs of dementia become apparent, as the brain tends to focus on things that elicit the strongest emotions.

Strange - I'd guess that 70% of the people I've discussed this with are in their 30's and 40's.

9 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Dating sites are fine and you can meet many good people. In fact, there is normally too much choice (at least in Thailand).

However, if just one person makes a complaint about you, for whatever reason, then most responsible sites will disable your account. Most have a policy (if you can find it) about the period of cancellation, but they will seldom tell you.

Agreed - thankfully, after threatening legal action, which I'd gladly take, they have agreed to refund the fee for their 'Gold' add on.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 9:11 AM, steven100 said:

sounds like that dating site is not good anyway if they banned you for no reason ...

try another site ....

but to be honest,   dating website are for desperado's ....  90% of the candidates are liars and scammers.

90%?

Steven, you must have been lucky with your 10%.🙃🙃

• Thumbs Up 1

Anti-wokism identifies someone as a bitter old man. It's a broadcast of your advancing age and declining mental facilities that have you focus on what outrages you the most.

What a load of tosh.  I'm not bitter at all and if my age is advancing - it hasn't 'advanced that far that its affecting my 'nightlife' yet nor the age of the birds I'm able to bed. And no, I don't pay, that's the whole point of Tinder but I'd take a stab from your writing style that you wouldn't know that. Disappointed yes, following a divorce I've been having the time of my life and Tinder is, in my opinion, by far the best source of no strings dating.

As for 'declining mental facilities' - clearly mine are much more intact than yours - its 'Faculties' you idiot.

You know the saying 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'?  There must be no panes left at all in yours. When you're trying to be a smart**s - much better to get it right or as in this case, you end up looking stupid.😁

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2024 at 3:43 PM, Baht Simpson said:

I wasn't referring to wokeness. I was referring to your assertion that "gay behavior" makes you "physically sick". 

Something I have no control over but that has very little to do with the subject matter.

Too many old people become like moths to a flame, deliberately viewing unimportant things that send them into a rage, perhaps because that’s about all they have left to allow them to feel ‘alive’.

Another smart**s . Old?  Go on then guess my age and if you're within 5 years of being correct, I'll buy you a walking frame.

7 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

First "Gay Kiss"on U.K. t.v. - Eastenders 1989. Lots of pearl clutching at the time.

Strange you can remember this so vividly from so long ago.Did it awaken something in your shorts that had previously not stirred?

On 2/11/2024 at 1:30 PM, pedro01 said:
On 2/11/2024 at 8:14 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I feel ill and offended when I see 2 guys kissing, I can watch 2 girls kissing all day long.

Its the way we were brought up, it's not our fault, we learnt from shows like the Brady Bunch. 

I'm not bothered about gay men or their behavior but to all you queer guys keep it behind closed doors.

Expand  

Very big of you to allow homosexuals to do whatever they want at home.

My point is...... I don't want to see men kissing in public or as I'm scrolling through Apps like Facebook etc. 

I'm sure you knew that, you are just being an antagonizer . 

The world (including AN members) is full of different people. I was brought up at home (good parenting) and school that being gay was wrong. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

7 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

Strange you can remember this so vividly from so long ago.Did it awaken something in your shorts that had previously not stirred?

It's a well known fact and a simple Google search. What's stranger is you're concerned about what's in my shorts. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/12/2024 at 9:24 AM, Walker88 said:

The world has not gone any more mad than it has always been. What happens is that many old people, as they age, become bitter and let fairly meaningless things bother them and occupy way too many of their waking thoughts. To some extent such bitterness comes as the signs of dementia become apparent, as the brain tends to focus on things that elicit the strongest emotions.

There are things of infinite more significance in the world than if some media shows same-sex couples engaged in affection, or a very small number of people insist on new pronouns, or it takes you an extra minute to delete people with whom you do not want to dally. Anti-wokism identifies someone as a bitter old man. It's a broadcast of your advancing age and declining mental facilities that have you focus on what outrages you the most. Let it go. All of wokeness is easilly avoided by being more selective in one’s viewing or reading habits or swiping left (right?).

Too many old people become like moths to a flame, deliberately viewing unimportant things that send them into a rage, perhaps because that’s about all they have left to allow them to feel ‘alive’.

Long winded rambles are a sign of old age and not being revelant anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uttradit said:

Long winded rambles are a sign of old age and not being revelant anymore.

Still trying to appear smart? You're also still wrong. Nobody forces you to read anything. This is a public platform on which members can air their views, bring matters to the attention of others, ask questions etc. 

By all means contribute to a discussion, even disagree and make your own points but by sittiung behind your screen, thinking up negative things to write about authors, you are doing exactly what you accuse them of doing.  Do you think people read your comments and think 'what a smart guy, he's got one over on the poster, he's winning' - I very much doubt they do. 

What I take from your replies is that you live a sad life and have nothing better to do - which for many, is a symptom of being unhappy in their old age. You'd be far better off staying silent.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Still trying to appear smart? You're also still wrong. Nobody forces you to read anything. This is a public platform on which members can air their views, bring matters to the attention of others, ask questions etc. 

By all means contribute to a discussion, even disagree and make your own points but by sittiung behind your screen, thinking up negative things to write about authors, you are doing exactly what you accuse them of doing.  Do you think people read your comments and think 'what a smart guy, he's got one over on the poster, he's winning' - I very much doubt they do. 

What I take from your replies is that you live a sad life and have nothing better to do - which for many, is a symptom of being unhappy in their old age. You'd be far better off staying silent.

You sound very unhappy. My comment wasn't even directed at you. Carry on with your rants if you must.

1 hour ago, zhounan said:

No, just 1/4 of it gone mad.

The rest 3/4 is still quite rational; I mean, at least they know what a man and a woman is.

You raise an important point.  The 'woke' community would have us believe that this is the new world, the new norm and often state that we are out of date, put it down to age etc. etc.

Yet, when I talk to people on this subject and other similar facets of 'woke-ism' or the matter of having to be PC, they are, almost without exception, sick to death of it. So maybe its even more than 3/4 of us remaining rational?

One of the problems however is that the sane amongst us tend to be readers rather than writers so it can appear that there are far more in favour of this 'new world' when in fact, the opposite is true.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, uttradit said:

You sound very unhappy. My comment wasn't even directed at you. Carry on with your rants if you must.

I'm fully aware that it wasn't aimed at me and you are still at it - unhappy? Jeez, you're sad.

Its your attitude and what you are seeking to do that's the problem. Try to improve yourself, you'll be much happier for it.

Edited by MangoKorat

Just now, MangoKorat said:

I'm fully aware that it wasn't aimed at me - its your attitude and what you are seeking to do that's the problem. Try to improve yourself, you'll be much happier for it.

My attitude is just fine. I'm not the one who thinks the world has gone mad because an app favours trans people. Normal people don't use apps for dating.

2 minutes ago, uttradit said:

My attitude is just fine. I'm not the one who thinks the world has gone mad because an app favours trans people. Normal people don't use apps for dating.

Really? And you suggest that I'm old?

I suggest you have a chat with some younger people. Dating Apps and websites are exactly how they meet these days. You're well out of date.

Edited by MangoKorat

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

Really? And you suggest that I'm old?

I suggest you have a chat with some younger people. Dating Apps and websites are exactly how they meet these days. You're well out of date.

Never mentioned your age. Don't care. I see you just want an argument. Carry on.

17 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

suggest you have a chat with some younger people. Dating Apps and websites are exactly how they meet these days. You're well out of date.

Are you using these apps in Korat? How young is young? How young are you?

6 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Never mentioned your age. Don't care. I see you just want an argument. Carry on.

You have inferred but never mind.

Several times I've tried to make it clear that the intention of my post was to discuss the 'woke' world and that I merely used my experience on a dating App as an example. Yet you continue to refer to dating Apps - and now, with, it seems, little knowledge of the subject you refer who uses such sites and state that 'normal people' don't use them.

You refer to people being unhappy and showing signs of old age - not with any validity but simply for effect. You many or may not agree with the context of this discussion but please keep to that context and don't make personal comments or suggestions.

You don't have to agree with the context, I welcome alternative viewpoints but please make them valid and not intended for percieved self gratification and simple 'point scoring' - that actually backfires on you in my opinion.

• Sad 1

On 2/11/2024 at 5:19 AM, MangoKorat said:

There was a recent thread on AN regarding being exposed to gay behaviour on TV programmes etc.  I was strongly criticised by a couple of members on that thread for stating that I don't want to see such behaviour - it honestly makes me feel physically sick.  I was accused of being a 'Gay Hater' which is ridiculous, I don't hate Gay people in any way, shape of form. I believe that Gay people have the same rights in life as anyone does and I would defend that to the death. I was simply answering the question posed by the thread and stating my preference.

Ten days ago after a brief 'holiday' from the site, I re-joined a popular dating app and paid for their 'Gold' subscription - thankfully only for one month.  As usual I received several 'likes' each day with some coming from Ladyboys - some of whom do not state their sexual orientation in their initial contact. I have no interest in dating a ladyboy and so to try and reduce the amount of contact from them. I wrote 'No Trans' in a list of preferences my profile. I also get regular 'matches' on the site from 'girls' who's real intention is to try and sell me Crypto Currency - so I also include 'No Crypto' in my profile. I have no interest in hearing from either.

Today my account has been banned from the app for 'hate speech' - I presume because of the 'No Trans' statement, they don't say.  Just banned me and no offer to refund the fee for Gold membership. An appeal is allowed but strangely the site does not offer the facility for someone to state why they are appealing - there is just a button to click that says 'appeal'. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I've offended Crypto Currency - in this screwed up world, who knows?

So I ask you, what is the world coming to - has this PC sentiment gone too far? It has in my opinion - way too far. How is simply stating a group that you do not want to hear from 'hate'?  How long will it be before Gay and Trans people are allowed to take someone to court for refusing to date them?  Will that be classed as 'discrimination'? Will we all be required to date a 'Trans' person if they wish to date us? 

IMHO, there is something very wrong with today's world.  Genuine hate speech should not in any way be tolerated and should be treated in the same way as racial discrimination.  On that subject, I have no particular preference on the skin colour of the girls I date but if I did, would I not be allowed to state so? I clearly state in my profile that I am straight, surely a person who makes such a statement is within their rights? If I had stated 'NO Pervy Trans/Queers' in my profile, that would be hate speech. But when did simpy stating your preferences become wrong? Careful in stating that you like blondes lads, the brunettes will be sueing you!

If we, and by we, I include moderate Straight, Gay and Trans people, don't make a stand on this and 'nip it in the bud' - I can see a time, not so far away where simply stating you are 'straight' will be classed as discriminatory - think about it. 

I'll be completely clear on this - there are moves afoot - maybe even already in existence in some countries where Trans people are able to alter their birth certificate. This is just as opinion and I believe we all have a right to one but I believe that for example, having an operation, taking hormones etc. etc. does not alter the gender of a person. I can never see, for example, a day when a male to female Trans will be able to have a baby and breastfeed it.  All the operations ect. do is to alter the sexual orientation of that person and give them the physical appearance of a female.

Now, there are those amongst you that are attracted to Ladyboys and that is fine for you but in itself that is a distinction - they are attracted to the fact that Ladyboys are transgender and many specifically visit Thailand in order to meet them.  How long before such people also come under fire for only being attracted to a person BECAUSE they are Trans. Will that also be discriminatory?  Will Ladyboys start complaining, 'You don't like me because I'm a woman, you only like me because I am Trans'?

The way things are going, if we are 'straight' we will all be compelled to offer relationships to any person who presents themselves to us, regardless of their actual gender.  Taking it to the extremes, will you have to date a fat person or someone you consider ugly , even if you do not find them attractive in the slightest? If you refuse, will that be classed as 'hate'? Is it discrimination?

Will each one of us soon lose the right to choose the factual gender of our long term or sexual partners? Lose the right to choose what attracts us and what doesn't?

In all honesty, I'm glad I'm the age I am because as far as I'm concerned, the world has gone mad.  We've gone from giving gay and transgender people equal rights in law - to which they are very much entitled, to utter madness.  There are websites and other places I believe, where you are not allowed to call someone 'he' or she' its 'they or 'them' - you must refer to them not as what they actually are, but as per how they 'identify'.

What the hell is going on and where will it end?

(Purely as a footnote - to the 2 or 3 people that jumped on me on the other thread - I have honestly placed you on ignore so you are wasting your time replying directly to me, all I am able to see is that you have posted - up to you, I care not.)

No it hasn't gone mad.

It's just gone past and ahead of you while you stood, or tried to stand, still.

That's what happens when you get old.......it's the way of the world.

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes. Personally, I despise PC. And social justice authoritarianism. I think it represents alot of what is wrong with contemporary culture, and especially America today. It is a major form of weakness, when you allow yourself to be easily offended, and take everything personally. Granted, there are things that can be perceived as offensive, but allowing yourself to be offended by tiny little things people say and do is a bit much! But, the people who are offended daily, by things others say, are just weak, and would benefit by growing thicker skin. Life can be rough and caustic at times, and for those of us who have grown thick skin, it is like water off a ducks back. No big deal, at all. Think what you want to think. It just does not mean anything to those with self esteem, and a sense of who and what they are. Granted, these are just my opinions, and some will take offense to them. LOL. 

The US is by far the most tolerant country in the world when it comes to the whole trans, non-binary, amorosexual, decide whatever you want today, if it fits mentality. No other country is as loose, driftless, and as silly as the US. The notion that political correctness has “gone mad” is familiar to anyone who follows even vaguely any aspect of modern political or cultural life. The phrase, ostensibly referring to language or action that is designed to avoid offence or harm to protected groups, has become a sharp criticism. It is synonymous with a sort of cultural McCarthyism, usually committed by the left.

https://www.economist.com/open-future/2018/09/10/has-political-correctness-gone-too-far

A Rasmussen poll found that 71 percent of Americans think political correctness is a problem today. When is being politically correct more about civility and politeness? When when does it veer into censorship? When is it justified? When is it not justified?

https://www.jacksonville.com/opinion/2016-09-30/has-political-correctness-gone-too-far

University of Connecticut officials sent out a campus-wide email advising its students that the school would provide counseling sessions in response to political commentator and Harvard Law alum Ben Shapiro’s slated speaking event at the university. The ironic part is that the counseling sessions were offered before Shapiro even stepped foot on campus. When I was in law school, Bill Clinton came and spoke. While I wasn't traumatized, I wonder whether the administration would have provided counselors for all the women in attendance.

https://clclt.com/charlotte/pc-culture-10-times-its-gone-too-far/Content?oid=16059883

Women in sports

When a woman devotes her entire youth to a sport, and becomes one of the best in that particular area, and then a man comes along who decides to identify as a woman, and steals all the awards, all the victories, and all the accolades, something is not right in society. Something is broken, society has become morally bankrupt, and there has to be a pause, there has to be an interruption of the nonsense.

No woman would survive more than 30 minutes in the NFL. Women will not participate in men's sports because they won't be able to handle the physical endurance required, nor the brutality, nor the talent level.

A woman ranked #1 on the WTA could not beat a #758 man on the ATP as John McEnroe so truthfully stated. They could not even return more than one serve. Hopefully all this craziness will pass and we'll return to some form of normalcy.

Excellent post and well evidenced.

'Hopefully all this craziness will pass and we'll return to some form of normalcy.'

I sincerely hope you are correct.

With regard to your comments on the US:

To the rest of the world, the US has always been portrayed as a bellweather for attitudes, a country to be admired, a world leader etc. etc.  Previously I've never taken much notice of the US, not for any particular reason, just that what goes on there didn't interest me.

However, in recent years its been hard to ignore the goings on in the US - much of which is unfathomable.  I won't refer to specifics because to do so would only invite off topic comments but in general I'm refering to politics - one 'politician' in particular, envirionmental matters, and crime - more specifically gun crime.

Although what happens in the US has little influence on me, other than to draw disbelief, it would be difficult to argue that things in the US don't have a strong influence in attitudes around the world.

Again though, I suspect that mainstream attitudes in the US may not actually reflect those of the majority (or am I being too hopeful?) and purely by way of example, I will outline the experience of a friend.

I have a very close friend in Bangkok, a female who married an American guy around 3 years ago (for our friend uttrdait, they met online). She's an educated girl and also possesses an above average amount of common sense.

On a visit to the US just after they were married, her husband's parents, a reasonably ,well to do Christian couple, found it necessary to apologise for the antics  of a certain 'politician' who, amongst other crazy things, without a scrap of evidence was claiming that an election had been stolen from him.

The perception of this man around the world, amongst those I talk to, is that he's a complete lunatic - I happen to think that the more recent term used to describe him 'unhinged' is much more fitting. And yet what was it? Over 90 million Americans voted for him?

As in this topic, is it possible that the views we see online and to a lesser extent in the news do not actually reflect the views of the majority?

As I said previously, by far the majority of people I discuss woke-ism and PC attitudes with, are absolutely sick of it. Yet reading news articles and what those that take the time to post online think - you might be tempted to think otherwise.

Edited by MangoKorat

11 minutes ago, Enoon said:

No it hasn't gone mad.

It's just gone past and ahead of you while you stood, or tried to stand, still.

That's what happens when you get old.......it's the way of the world.

Oh, another one - and just how old am I pray tell?

Strange that without exeception, my friends - who range from their late twenties to around sixty, all think the same.