Cost of living in Isaan/Buriram in 2024?

PingRoundTheWorld

7 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

eventually I will end it, but not today.

If you want to end it why wait? Just giving money away. This isn't a moral judgement just common sense.

Best response to money request is no response. A lot of gold diggers in Thailand. They just lie non stop. Always some issue. Well get a job and pay it yourself.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Am I crazy to assume there's no possible way a family in a village in isaan spends +50k baht a month??

simple answer - no, you are not.
The question that immediately comes to mind is, why? Why on earth would you be fine with someone taking advantage of you? You know she is essentially lying and stealing from you. You've already likely made her richer than anyone else in her entire village, including the village Poo Yai, unless she has relocated in the meanwhile to a nicer place or started building her own house on your dime. Don't feel sorry for cutting her off, if that thought ever came to mind.
I imagine you know already... but just for the heck of it, I'll say it. There are actually a lot of working girls who are quite decent. Unfortunately, you didn't find one of them. I think your odds aren't so bad to just try again. I'd think it wouldn't be that hard to find one who'd also like, from what it sounds like, your pretty easy going preferences. Plenty would be happy enough to stay in BKK, whether with you or at her own place. Just look around a bit, should be pretty easy, unless you're fat, bald, ugly, and missing half your teeth. No offense if that describes you, it would just narrow your odds a bit, that's all 😛 But if you're a nice guy, the field is very easy, especially if they can get even just 10-20k a month from you!

• Agree 1

My best friend has a lot of relationships that go south around the 4-6 month mark.

Being the caring empath that he is, when he sees the bloom going off the rose, he front loads a lot of sex, partic anal.

Usually, I urge people, "don't be that guy", but in your case.........

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

My best friend has a lot of relationships that go south around the 4-6 month mark.

Being the caring empath that he is, when he sees the bloom going off the rose, he front loads a lot of sex, partic anal.

Usually, I urge people, "don't be that guy", but in your case.........

You friend sounds smart.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, uttradit said:

You friend sounds smart.

I told him if he wants to have a lot of sex with someone who's not that into him, he should just get married.

But he likes a mix. São Paulo is semi-newly on the map for his ilk. 

But to the OP: If you don't like paying TODAY, this is the high water mark.

You will like paying even less even 2 hours from now, let alone 2 weeks from now.

You will prob want to leave her with some kind of kiss-off financial grant.

Whatever number you have in mind, cut it in half to avoid future self-kicking.

What gets me is these guys pay more when they aren't there. No sex, no fun, just an atm. If you are there having a good time it makes sense but if you are paying 50,000 a month when not there you are being played when the average wage is 12,000 in the smaller cities.

Honey can i have money for ....

Your response should be ignore.

I've been visiting, working and living in Thailand on and off for several decades and this is almost a standard script for many of the relationships between a Western male and a Thai lady.  You'll probably find a few addictions behind these demands for money (alcohol, yaba, gambling etc) - brothers, sisters etc.  Its very unlikely its all being spent on wholesome activities - but I think you know that?

I am baffled why the guys continually pay out.  Its not always to poor women either, sometimes the more affluent women with 'proper' jobs are worse because they have proportionately higher expectations.

Anyway, there are plenty of decent, attractive, women out there who won't take advantage. Look for one of them.

2 minutes ago, uttradit said:

No sex, no fun, just an atm. 

Codependency is a real problem and worth a wiki.

Short version: You're so into the drama of their problems that it lets you off the hook from addressing your own.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Prubangboy said:

Codependency is a real problem and worth a wiki.

Short version: You're so into the drama of their problems that it lets you off the hook from addressing your own.

It's a sign of loneliness. They need someone to talk to even if it costs money. I know a guy who does it. My advice would be find a local to talk to. Pay her to massage you and get it off your chest. Cheaper and more fun. 

8 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

told her I will give her 1500 baht a day (45k a month) and she should use that to cover her expenses. That worked for about two days before she started to ask for more "can I have 1500 for electricity bill?"

Try the following. No money for 7 days. No talk either. See what happens. Then ask her are you ready to live on a budget of 5,000 a week? If no. End it. Given the average weekly wage is 3,000 in Buriram she should be happy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, uttradit said:

It's a sign of loneliness. They need someone to talk to even if it costs money. I know a guy who does it. My advice would be find a local to talk to. Pay her to massage you and get it off your chest. Cheaper and more fun. 

Agree.

A lot of Western guys in Thailand are lonely or have emotional problems, low self-esteem etc.  They are vulnerable and easily preyed upon by these women. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Prubangboy said:

If you like the idea of dramatically solving the problems of good looking women, Thailand will never let you down. 

Actually, you're good to go anywhere on earth.

It's just cheaper here, like the pad thai is.

Almost worth pretending to be a woman to get 50,000 a month. You could live well outside Bangkok. 

• Haha 1

Don't forget to tell her that if she is receiving regular money from abroad it now has to be at the Thai revenue department. 

If I, as a foreigner have to declare all income that I bring into Thailand then so should all the Thai people who are receiving "sponsorship" money from abroad...

There are several that live around me who receive monthly sums to take care of half Farang children.

• Haha 1

She wants you to feel like a hero, the best man ever, and hopes that you won't want that feeling to go away. Tell her she knows she's been on a good gig and that you hope she enjoyed it but now it's 20000 a month or whatever. She'll not be happy but likely adapt fast. 

That's assuming you are still getting something you want and want to pay at all. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy