Cost of living in Isaan/Buriram in 2024?

PingRoundTheWorld

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Because I don't understand what you mean.

The house sundries item in our budget includes materials that a couple of family members use for maintenance and refurbishing, an example is the painting SWMBO decided for a wall, not required but it looks nicer.

IMG_8367.thumb.jpeg.a60b531d10922fda275e6bac1d5cd566.jpeg

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The house sundries item in our budget includes materials that a couple of family members use for maintenance and refurbishing, an example is the painting SWMBO decided for a wall, not required but it looks nicer.

IMG_8367.thumb.jpeg.a60b531d10922fda275e6bac1d5cd566.jpeg

Surely not every month, or is you budget averaged out over 1 year?

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Why is it of any importance? Or is it just prurient interest?

The OP is asking advice about the cost of living in Isaan/Buriram.

That would suggest he is looking at monthly expenditure. 

Were your "house sundries" not a monthly occurrence, they'd be irrelevant to the topic.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

The OP is asking advice about the cost of living in Isaan/Buriram.

That would suggest he is looking at monthly expenditure. 

Were your "house sundries" not a monthly occurrence, they'd be irrelevant to the topic.

They are totally irrelevant to anyone’s budget but ours as they are not essential or even relevant to anyone else’s situation.

Our budget amount was posted as a comparison to @Will B Goods point that 40,000 was high and a higher one was unlikely. To repeat his PEA bill is 1,800 ours is 7,000

The point is that families in our village have monthly budgets ranging from 3,000~5,000 at the low end to others that make ours to be in the mid to upper but not top end.

The families at the low end will be the ones that reduce the cicadas, frogs, and rodent wildlife in the area so having a protein diet that has no or little monetary expense 

47 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

They are totally irrelevant to anyone’s budget but ours as they are not essential or even relevant to anyone else’s situation.

Our budget amount was posted as a comparison to @Will B Goods point that 40,000 was high and a higher one was unlikely. To repeat his PEA bill is 1,800 ours is 7,000

The point is that families in our village have monthly budgets ranging from 3,000~5,000 at the low end to others that make ours to be in the mid to upper but not top end.

The families at the low end will be the ones that reduce the cicadas, frogs, and rodent wildlife in the area so having a protein diet that has no or little monetary expense 

Exactly. Meaning your post was irrelevant to the discussion.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Exactly. Meaning your post was irrelevant to the discussion.

Not at all, you are clearly involved in a discussion that is not the same as the thread. It is common for answers to posts not to relate to the OP post

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

They are totally irrelevant to anyone’s budget but ours as they are not essential or even relevant to anyone

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Not at all, you are clearly involved in a discussion that is not the same as the thread. It is common for answers to posts not to relate to the OP post

You said it first. I just agreed.

On 2/17/2024 at 9:16 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

I've actually paid (separately) for some housing projects (new kitchen, new outdoor roof, etc) on top of the monthly budget, so not counting one-offs for this. Their electricity bill is around 1.5-2k, they don't run the AC much (only have in one room). That's what baffles me - they live like Thais, not westerners, her mom owns the house so no rent, they even own some land aside from it - yet her level of spending is off the roof. Yesterday she asked for 500 more (no reason given) - I ignored it. Today she asked for 4000 more for some yearly insurance bill - ignoring that too. The whole point of setting up a daily transfer of 1500 was so she doesn't keep asking me for money, but I don't think she understands the concept despite repeatedly trying to explain that to her. I even canceled it one time when I got pissed off - she took a flight and showed up at my doorstep 5 hours later.

She's coming tomorrow. Not sure how I'll break it to her but I'm done paying. If she wants go back to Phuket and find a new ATM. I'll give her a couple of months "severance" because I'm too nice, but I'm done with this bs. I have other girls I like and there's no reason to pay for one I don't even want or see anymore.

8 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

She's coming tomorrow. Not sure how I'll break it to her but I'm done paying. If she wants go back to Phuket and find a new ATM. I'll give her a couple of months "severance" because I'm too nice, but I'm done with this bs. I have other girls I like and there's no reason to pay for one I don't even want or see anymore.

With the further information the daily 1,500 is more than 3 times the total expenses for the household.

It is absolutely clear that you are being milked as hard as she possibly can, she knows there is going to be an end to the gravy train so is trying hard to get as much as possible.

I really don’t see any reason for you to add another 90,000 gift but it is your money. 

Personally I would be rather or very concerned with any meeting that is not in public. A coffee shop or restaurant is a much safer situation. You already know that she regards truth as a foreign concept. Please avoid needing legal advice on a drug possession charge.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is absolutely clear that you are being milked as hard as she possibly can, she knows there is going to be an end to the gravy train so is trying hard to get as much as possible.

I think that might be it - she knows one day the money will stop, so she's milking as much as she can while she can. I wouldn't be surprised if she has a few hundred thousand in a savings account, while whining to me daily that "money finished". That's the only possible explanation unless she or someone mooching from her is gambling it away.