The Covers (musical, you idiot) Thread - Great. Good. Indifferent. So bad they're good!!

Crossy

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

2 members, Rick Parfitt and Alan Lancaster, already on other site RIP, but they were rock. 

Francis Rossi is still going and now and then John Coghlan is still drumming.

I was lucky enough to see them life a long time ago .

17 hours ago, jvs said:

I was lucky enough to see them life a long time ago .

In the aughts, they toured relentlessly. In Suffolk, you could see them 2-4 times in the same year.

Motorhead and Bad Manners were also hard tourers with 2nd big night often added to the marquee of the Ipswich Regent.

I went with a pal to help do a linoleum laying job. It was Rick Parfait's house. Nice guy, was making his own fry up.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 3:45 AM, jvs said:

I have no idea if "Love Sweat'was released on North America but it was very popular amongst the fans of the group(myself included)

Did you listen to the original Bob Seger song,very good.

I didnt know about album. It is, you placed the song, so then I was intrigued and searched more.

I came to "love sweat" , it is in youtube and listened all. Found out album wasnt really popular.

Of course if you are a diehard, you will know the album.

Hard to understand why Turn the page of GE wasnt doing anything.

Just listened again to the song, but really, there is nothing wrong with it to be a hit.

Well there are lots of songs in the back ground which are very good and not known. 

Sad the band is broken down due to George Kooyman's disease.

You dont hear much about him, but his disease will go just one way. Horrible, as he says "It sucks".

Wish him strength to bear.

An abrupt end to their performances and making new songs, as they would have done for certain.

GE is a very very good band with great numbers. 

Also found Bob Seger was the composer, so searched that one and listened. Indeed great number.

Different, but very good song. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

I didnt know about album. It is, you placed the song, so then I was intrigued and searched more.

I came to "love sweat" , it is in youtube and listened all. Found out album wasnt really popular.

Of course if you are a diehard, you will know the album.

Hard to understand why Turn the page of GE wasnt doing anything.

Just listened again to the song, but really, there is nothing wrong with it to be a hit.

Well there are lots of songs in the back ground which are very good and not known. 

Sad the band is broken down due to George Kooyman's disease.

You dont hear much about him, but his disease will go just one way. Horrible, as he says "It sucks".

Wish him strength to bear.

An abrupt end to their performances and making new songs, as they would have done for certain.

GE is a very very good band with great numbers. 

Also found Bob Seger was the composer, so searched that one and listened. Indeed great number.

Different, but very good song. 

This was one of their very early songs,when they needed the money i think,

1 hour ago, jvs said:

This was one of their very early songs,when they needed the money i think,

They did, it seems

A crazy story, sourced from their official biography.

This single was recorded much against the band's liking. Recording music for a commercial brand was regarded against the creative process they always wanted to be in the foreground. However, the band's VW bus that was used for their concerts was about to break down, and with the 15.000 Dutch guilders to be earned from this Coca-Cola single, they could afford themselves a brand new Ford Transit van.The single was only for sale at De Gruyter, a then popular Dutch grocery store.

"Things go better" borrows some parts from an earlier GE composition, "That day". The B-side, "Rum and Coca-Cola" was a rock version of the popular evergreen.

The band got themselves that red van, and they made the entire Hagueish pop scene jealous with it. However, three weeks after purchase, at a gig in Vlissingen, the story ended. One of the roadies who just got his driver's licence decided to take the van away for a refuel, together with Rinus Gerritsen's brother Robbie. After refueling the vehicle, they crashed into a tree, which was standing in the middle of the road. The tree was never cut, because it was said to be the only tree that survived the infamous Dutch 1953 watershed (and hence, had monumental status)...
  • Like 1

Found this cover from Adele song !

Quite different, but gee it is a good cover !

I see they make more covers in hardrock/metal style and they are good at it.!

Just another one in hardrock, Listen to Your Heart from Roxette, great 2 person band, sadly Marie Fredriksson died in 2019.

Though they stopped earlier.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

They did, it seems

A crazy story, sourced from their official biography.

This single was recorded much against the band's liking. Recording music for a commercial brand was regarded against the creative process they always wanted to be in the foreground. However, the band's VW bus that was used for their concerts was about to break down, and with the 15.000 Dutch guilders to be earned from this Coca-Cola single, they could afford themselves a brand new Ford Transit van.The single was only for sale at De Gruyter, a then popular Dutch grocery store.

"Things go better" borrows some parts from an earlier GE composition, "That day". The B-side, "Rum and Coca-Cola" was a rock version of the popular evergreen.

The band got themselves that red van, and they made the entire Hagueish pop scene jealous with it. However, three weeks after purchase, at a gig in Vlissingen, the story ended. One of the roadies who just got his driver's licence decided to take the van away for a refuel, together with Rinus Gerritsen's brother Robbie. After refueling the vehicle, they crashed into a tree, which was standing in the middle of the road. The tree was never cut, because it was said to be the only tree that survived the infamous Dutch 1953 watershed (and hence, had monumental status)...

We still have that single some where in a box i think,i can only recall playing it once or twice.

It was bad but it was the Golden Earrings.They dropped the s later.

A song which had many covers is this one "Long Black Veil"

It started with this one, recorded.

I guess the song is way more older.

Many many performers did the song, I picked this one as a recorded cover in time.

Other names  making a cover of this Johny Cash, Marianne Faithfull, Joan Baez and many more.

36 minutes ago, jvs said:

We still have that single some where in a box i think,i can only recall playing it once or twice.

It was bad but it was the Golden Earrings.They dropped the s later.

I know they dropped the s, maybe on purpose after that single :cheesy:

Ok thats not true, I ve seen the docu of them. DOnt know anymore when they changed.1969 it was still earrings.

I flipped the record and heard the other one, A side, it is even more laughable.

Well you have to do something if you want a red Transit. 15000 guilder, not bad though?

It is all possible, DONG-DONG-DIKI-DIGI-DONG isnt a very strong number as well.

The better numbers came later.

And then talking about covers

Original 

COVER, not the most unknow band 

radar love, original

cover

cover

Well there a re loads more, many love that song.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 5:34 PM, jvs said:

On 2/12/2024 at 5:34 PM, jvs said:

Thanks for posting, didn't know Golden Earring covered this, or the 1995 album Love Sweat it came from.

To me the best cover version, or just version (sorry Bob) is by Jon English on the 1982 double live  album, Beating The Boards by Jon English & The Foster Brothers, they use to drink a lot of that beer!

Also on the album is the classic Jon English track Hollywood Seven, which technically is also a cover. The first commercial released version was by Dennis Waterman on his debut album Down Wind of Angels.

• Like 1

Original, linked to a divorce

Then this guy did the song and he linked it to his mom. I picked this version of him.

In beginning they talk about that song and when he performs, you really can hear/see the emotion in his performance.

A very emotional and impressive cover.