Begging for money online to support his bar.

n00dle

22 hours ago, n00dle said:

This dude is about as pathetic can be. begging for money online so he doesn't lose his bar.

This is very common, begging.

The English owner, guy from Pattaya FM103, had a gofundme page so he wouldn't lose his radio station. 

19 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

But some Youtubers put out quality content that often involves research ...

Not just guys begging for money with crappy videos. 

Can't think of many Thai based ones apart from DJ Pat

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

I knew a guy here who had a rather large bar in the prime position, and it was well frequented. It was only after he had started snorting the "Bolivian marching powder" and business started to drop off that he needed some money to keep it afloat, so he offered 25% of the bar/business to anyone who would invest in it.

They weren't going to get their money back but they could sit there and enjoy free drinks for a couple of years (or was it a year?) and a couple of guys did it, but then the gullible folks dried up and he couldn't re-lease the bar because he had no funds, so he lost it.

He and his wife never got on even when they were running the bar and on many occasions one or both of them would come to work with cuts and bruises and black eyes where they had been fighting the night before. But because the bar was in his wife's name, he had to stay with her.

Now he is confined to a wheelchair, cannot work and seems to be living off his English pension – – so whilst for a few years he could have been "living the dream" but it all turned sour a few years back.

Easy come, easy go!

Nobody stays on top forever.

-Scarface

Edited by JimTripper

12 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

Yeah, I wanted to be a moustached beach guy solving crimes with hijinx for a wealthy hot hi-so, needless to say <sigh> it wasn't meant to be.

Mango PI

You became more of a Higgins just without the mansion.

• Agree 1

So his girlfriend who didn't invest any money to start up the bar. But is the legal owner as it is in her name is blackmailing him. Telling him if you don't pay me 200,000. Or 300,00 baht I will take the whole thing. 

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2024 at 2:49 PM, uttradit said:

Found the bar on google maps. Says temporarily closed. So maybe his gf closed it. Reviews are great. Cheap beers, good burgers and Greg is a nice guy.

Reviews are great. Cheap beers, good burgers and Greg is a nice guy.

great reviews. rubbish business model.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

Reviews are great. Cheap beers, good burgers and Greg is a nice guy.

great reviews. rubbish business model.

Is it Ok if I drop in for a burger & beer?

Edited by JimTripper

3 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I hope it opens up again. I want to drop in for a burger & beer.

"Burger and a beer............that'll be 200,000 baht please sir"

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, impulse said:

My concern with that arrangement would be the local plod coming by for their tribute.  But it sure sounds like fun, even though I took the oath in 1988 and haven't had a drop since.  Great way to stay active in the community, even if I'd be that slug in the corner sipping iced tea.  Compare that the the tragic guys who die lonely...

Why not just join the Bridge club, play snooker, or go walking?

Cheaper and no stress.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/13/2024 at 3:34 AM, TorquayFan said:

Sad thread and comments IMO

If you hadn't noticed the whole world is a bit sad nowadays IMO. If we look at the big picture, rather than just our little part of it, the human race isn't doing very well.

Begging on line is just a symptom of a wider malaise.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

So his girlfriend who didn't invest any money to start up the bar. But is the legal owner as it is in her name is blackmailing him. Telling him if you don't pay me 200,000. Or 300,00 baht I will take the whole thing. 

Must be something special about Thai girls that so many western guys lose their brains when they get involved with one.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

There was a post on FB last week from one of the bar patrons who had just visited the bar the night before...he reported that the bar was still operating, the ex-TGF was working there, but had apparently sold it to a new owner for 1MB and she was then re-employed by the new owner. Can't see any $ flowing through to Greg Palmer now...needs to write it off as a bad venture and move on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

it has gone well past that, one report on his facebook is that she sold it for 1 million

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you hadn't noticed the whole world is a bit sad nowadays IMO. If we look at the big picture, rather than just our little part of it, the human race isn't doing very well.

Begging on line is just a symptom of a wider malaise.

Large corporations and franchises have taken over.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, n00dle said:

it has gone well past that, one report on his facebook is that she sold it for 1 million

Sell what assets? Just a licence and furnishings. Hardly worth 300,000 baht. If you don't own the building you barely own anything.

8 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Sell what assets? Just a licence and furnishings. Hardly worth 300,000 baht. If you don't own the building you barely own anything.

Not if you are selling a dream to a newbie. The place looks and smells nice and they never notice how far from the street it is, or the realtor drives them in the back way so they don't see all the other bars in front.

Edited by JimTripper

Maybe the barfines were to high and the "therapists" not young and attractive enough  and overcharging ?

Not to speak for this case, but in general,  I always tend to avoid the falangs in Thailand who have set up businesses.

They cheat as bad, if not more, then the locals, as soon as they see your home and that you are a foreigner. At least with the Thais, one can bargain, but not with the arrogant farangs who thus end up in loosing everything.

Edited by Sigmund
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, uttradit said:

what do you want me to say? i reported what i read. 

On 2/13/2024 at 12:05 AM, n00dle said:

This dude is about as pathetic can be. begging for money online so he doesn't lose his bar.

The very definition of sunk cost fallacy.

At once entitled and delusional. 

🍑Noodle ,🔍🔎 love your posts mate , especially that one where you told everyone why you called yourself "noodle" after your wife suggested it 🔎🥒

Edited by georgegeorgia