Chiang Mai Immigration would not give extension on Non-Imm O Visa.

Im just back from Chiang Mai immigration, I guess its the same all over Thailand where it really depends on the officer you get. I have gotten extensions before for some reason now, my Non-Imm O they refuse to extend and say I need to leave the country. After then telling them Ive done this extension several times in the past, they proceeded to tell me its not possible and I need to leave the country and come back. Then I asked to speak with the ladies senior to ensure she is telling me the right thing, I guess its bad move to do giving the saving face culture, anyway then the ranking officer tells me I can get it extended just need the birth certificate and house registration (of Thai son) and I could, when I presented both, I was declined again due to the house registration being in udon thani and not in Chiang Mai. It seemed like they were just trying to find ways to not allow me to extend, its really not the biggest deal as I can do a boarder run to Laos, but just annoying as Im flying out of the country in 3 weeks, but my current 90 day run expires in 10 days, so I can still get another 90 days doing a land run, but rather annoying having to do it given all I really need is 30 day extension which Ive always done in the past at immigration, instead now Ill have to do a day in a mini van and pay double the fee (Laos Visa is 1900). 

Edited by wisemonkey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I had the exact things since 5-6 months ago, never ever been back at CM immigration. Always had my non-o child extensions there without any issues, now they make a issue, elsewhere no problem and as the old days.  I also have a son, so sounds like exact same.

Don't think about going to Hanoi as well if your low on cash, those idiots now want to see 400K in your bank, to even get a 90 day non-o visa. It is easier to be a visa runner with tourist visa's than it is with a child, in terms of paperwork lol.

Exacty! I even said that to the officer, after they were making issues " Im looking after my son, a Thai national, by myself, he has no one else to look after him here, and your making me leave the country, yet your letting these tourists coming to extend with no issue, how the <deleted> does that make sense?" ... unfortunately they probably then just doubled down on their stance, but really this is the reality. Single Dads here, looking after Thai kids themselves, have a hard time staying here, yet tourists find it easier.

Out of curiousity, what do you do now? Whats the best way to stay?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wisemonkey said:

Exacty! I even said that to the officer, after they were making issues " Im looking after my son, a Thai national, by myself, he has no one else to look after him here, and your making me leave the country, yet your letting these tourists coming to extend with no issue, how the <deleted> does that make sense?" ... unfortunately they probably then just doubled down on their stance, but really this is the reality. Single Dads here, looking after Thai kids themselves, have a hard time staying here, yet tourists find it easier.

I just get the non-o visa at mukhadan or hanoi (by showing money, you can borrow it from anyone and not need to be international transfer too). By the entire stupidity is, I used to have 5 months total, now only 3, as you can also not get a 30 day extension on a non-o visa. So it is all in all just a mess again.

I will eventually just get a yearly visa again via another city or province, maybe just using a agent again too, then I not need to keep money free doing nothing. Just pisses me off, they can see 5 years of history in my actual passport, where they stamped this, my son is even with me when we are there, including my girlfriend / mother.

Thailand is getting desperate anyway, I somehow also hope to still see the 90 day on arrival coming, then I could mix it around a bit. A non-o visa, then a 90 day, 2 border runs, whatever. If my girlfriend only agreed; I'd leave CM permanently already for a long time, and move to the south. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wisemonkey said:

You cannot do a yearly extension? That is what an associate of mine does.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wisemonkey said:

Yes I got quite emotional about it too, to a stage of almost turning into anger on them at their office... It is absolute nonsense and a disgrace, it also shows me that our kids will never be fully or real Thai as well. Just that already gives us enough financial pressure, as less than a international school is usual impossible too. 

I actually noticed many of the schools offering a visa with it too, so maybe i will just do that actually. That is how many foreigners with kids also live here long-term.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, timendres said:

You cannot do a yearly extension? That is what an associate of mine does.

That is the same; they suddenly claim the documents for both 60 day extension or the yearly one, is not good enough anymore, in chiang mai. But elsewhere there seem to be no issues... Just sucks, to suddenly be kicked away from your own immigration office, while my son is born here too, for no reason.

It makes you feel intimidated and threatened, as a parent. As our son would be stuck here, if I am kicked away. So it also make me re-think thailand long-term. Anyway, as always there is a solution visa wise but that does not change their behavior at this office, or how much that sucks.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 1

Would actually wonder what would happen if you would go to Chiang Rai immigration instead, they might just do it without any issues for you too. I never tried as I fixed it elsewhere at the time. Chiang Mai immigration are just a bunch of tools, it always been their own version of rules there, they try make it hard.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Would actually wonder what would happen if you would go to Chiang Rai immigration instead, they might just do it without any issues for you too. I never tried as I fixed it elsewhere at the time. Chiang Mai immigration are just a bunch of tools, it always been their own version of rules there, they try make it hard.

I think there are probably a lot of different ways we can get around it, but its just the time involved, like I would love to try Chiang Rai if I knew it would work, but really means a day of time lost and possibly no result. So dont really want to try when I can just do it for 4000 baht and a day to friendship bridge boarder in Laos. 

Im going to wait a day or so and go back to Chiang Mai and try again, ill argue as much and try to get a result, if not Ill just <deleted> it and go to Laos.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wisemonkey said:

I think there are probably a lot of different ways we can get around it, but its just the time involved, like I would love to try Chiang Rai if I knew it would work, but really means a day of time lost and possibly no result. So dont really want to try when I can just do it for 4000 baht and a day to friendship bridge boarder in Laos. 

Im going to wait a day or so and go back to Chiang Mai and try again, ill argue as much and try to get a result, if not Ill just <deleted> it and go to Laos.

Yeah i feel you, i also hate losing the time, and having to go every 1-2 months already. I used to just do a single non-o + extension, 5 months per time, this was perfect.... Together with 1-2 border runs it always made a full calendar year.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If you are extending for care of Thai child the requirement is that you live with and if he is registered in Ueon Thani you should be living there and extend there.  You need to have him on home register where you are living I suspect for immigration to extend stay.

My son is registered in Chiang Mai, yet they had some other dodgy reason to suddenly refuse it. Makes no sense if you ask me, because anywhere else I did extensions on the same basis, including in Bangkok, they did not ask about that as well, just needed a copy of housebooks.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wisemonkey said:

the ranking officer tells me I can get it extended just need the birth certificate and house registration (of Thai son) and I could, when I presented both, I was declined again due to the house registration being in udon thani and not in Chiang Mai.

Is there any requirement that the child must live with the parent?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to need (and still need anywhere else incl consulates or embassies with success). Which now longer is not good enough at CM for 60 day ext).

• Passport copy
  • Copy last visa / stamp
  • Arrival card (sometimes) copy
  • Copy ID card mother + signed
  • Copy housebook signed
  • copy birth certificate signed + original to show
  • Application form with a picture
  • Overstay paper sign (that you wont overstay, sometimes)

New optional items:

• TM30 copy 
  • Bank statement (visa applications hanoi)
Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If you are extending for care of Thai child the requirement is that you live with and if he is registered in Ueon Thani you should be living there and extend there.  You need to have him on home register where you are living I suspect for immigration to extend stay.

Im not extending for care, even though I am the only one here looking after him, Im extending for family visitation. 

He is registered with his Thai grandmothers house in udon thani. 

I dont know how I would go about changing registration of his house or even if its possible, I own a condo here, but also live in a rented house.

Even so, why would it matter, fact is Im in Thailand looking after my son, we can change city, we could be visiting somewhere else in the country and my visa is expiring and I need to extend? Why cant I be in a different spot on the map? Its just totally stupid, and really depends on who you are dealing with and what province you are in. As I posted above in Khon Kean, they can give me a full year visa for having a Thai son without the need to leave Thailand and with no thai court documents needed, yet its not possible here in Chiang Mai without many court documents and leaving the country before I apply. Not consistent interpretation of the law, which I guess isnt surprising, and to be honest I probably like it because I know I could get <deleted> done in Thailand elsewhere if the one im trying doesnt want to help, but its just frustrating.

Edited by wisemonkey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes there is.

image.jpeg.2046ed8c74271e8abf54b54ca75e6206.jpeg

Not a issue for me or the OP, or any of the others I heard having this issue since recent in CM. We all live with our children.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

My theory about this entire thing is btw as following: They started this new system at CM, where you now prepare and let all your documents be checked, before actually getting a number and going inside the place. Since that time, whoever is responsible checking, is causing this mess.

I never had issues with my paperwork, when dealing with the actual officers, who do these non-o extensions. The lady is really nice even, that i used to have.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Not a issue for me or the OP, or any of the others I heard having this issue since recent in CM. We all live with our children.

Actually believe the requirement would be for a foreign child to live with a Thai parent - but also believe it is misread by many of us and probably immigration at times.  What seems to be a requirement is the 400k (like with marriage).

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually believe the requirement would be for a foreign child to live with a Thai parent - but also believe it is misread by many of us and probably immigration at times.  What seems to be a requirement is the 400k (like with marriage).

Well I actually also live with the mother, the thai parent.. And i have the money...  She and my son are even always present on extensions.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Well I actually also live with the mother, the thai parent.. And i have the money...  She and my son are even always present on extensions.

Did you keep the 400k in bank all year or have 40k per month income proof?  They make no mention of only two months for parent extensions as is allowed for spouse extensions.  

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Did you keep the 400k in bank all year or have 40k per month income proof?  They make no mention of only two months for parent extensions as is allowed for spouse extensions.  

They do not ask about money at CM for 60 day extensions, but I have the money proof yeah, as that is also needed in Hanoi nowadays, to even get a non-o. account shows over 1.2M annually and 400K current balance. In hanoi consulate i get the red carpet treatment, its just CM.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

They do not ask about money at CM for 60 day extensions, but I have the money proof yeah, as that is also needed in Hanoi nowadays, to even get a non-o.

60 day is limited to one time per visa entry so expect they could consider a second entry try the same visa?  Are you using multi entry non O visa entry?  That 60 day is most often used to visit spouse so maybe they trying to get you and mother married?  

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

60 day is limited to one time per visa entry so expect they could consider a second entry try the same visa?  Are you using multi entry non O visa entry?  That 60 day is most often used to visit spouse so maybe they trying to get you and mother married?  

No I always use single entry, for child visa is not possible to get multi entry everywhere. So I really do everything by the book, it also works everywhere, and used to always work in CM, until I came back after covid ended. Yes, the best solution is indeed to still marry her, but for what, some people making up other rules in CM only? Is kind of weird, like i have to go on my knees to get a 60 day extension for my own Thai child while Russians get 90 days.

But as I mentioned, I post too much, I also realized that most of the international schools offer a visa with it, maybe that is a good option for other people too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, wisemonkey said:

I was declined again due to the house registration being in udon thani and not in Chiang Mai.

Surely you have to be in the same province the Thai house is registered to fix that and then get an extension?

REQUIREMENTS AND DOCUMENTATIONS WHEN APPLYING FOR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN CASE OF STAYING WITH THAI CHILDREN REQUIREMENTS

1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-O) (The photo cannot be older than 6 months.) 2) Having any proof of relationship.

3) Having evidences of nationality of Thai children.

4) Children, adopted children, or stepchildren being considered for guardianship must meet the following criteria: Must be unmarried, Must reside within the same household and under 20 years of age, except in cases of illness, disability or the inability to support themselves and must remain under the care and protection of either the father or mother.

5) Having evidences of definite financial the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than 40,000 Baht per month, or must have no less than 400,000 Baht in a bank account in Thailand or have a combination of an average annual income and a deposit totaling at least 400,000 baht to cover expenses for 1 year.