Khon Kaen Buddhism director scammed of 1.19 million baht

webfact

image.jpeg

The director of the Office of Buddhism in Khon Kaen has fallen victim to a scam, resulting in a loss of over 1.19 million baht (US$32,973), leaving a mere 87 satang (US$0.024) in their bank account.

The director, who had unknowingly sent their phone number—which was not linked to any bank—to what appeared to be a legitimate airline’s line account, was nearly driven to despair by the incident.

On February 2, with plans to travel to Bangkok on February 5-6, the director searched for flight tickets on Google and came across a link to a well-known airline. After inquiring about the ticket prices but not purchasing them to find a cheaper alternative, the director was contacted by the airline via Line asking if they were interested in signing up for a membership.

Believing that supporting a Thai airline was beneficial and without any apparent risk, the director provided their English name and an office phone number, not linked to any banking application, to prevent potential fraud.

In the afternoon of the same day, a video call from the airline’s Line account led the director to confirm their membership by scanning their face, which they assumed was a standard security procedure of the airline. Unfortunately, this was the precursor to the fraudulent act.

by Samantha Rose

Photo courtesy of Sanook

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The director of the Office of Buddhism in Khon Kaen has fallen victim to a scam, resulting in a loss of over 1.19 million baht (US$32,973), leaving a mere 87 satang (US$0.024) in their bank account.

How do these idiots get a Directors job, and fall for scams, sounds like a double bluff to me, I'm guessing it was not his money he lost, but belonged to the Office of Buddhism. 

sorry but how can they know the bank account and syphon of money, to an account not linked with banking apps?   I have several millions in fixed account and even I cannot touch this money, only at the bank, with signatures and more paperwork...

On 2/14/2024 at 11:52 PM, john donson said:

sorry but how can they know the bank account and syphon of money, to an account not linked with banking apps?   I have several millions in fixed account and even I cannot touch this money, only at the bank, with signatures and more paperwork...

I know, right? There is something more to this story. There can't be any way to get money out of a bank with just a picture. How do they know what bank? Account number? It is absolutely frightening if that is all they need.

Phone apps are ok, just have a going-to-town phone, and a separate bank phone, which is only at home, on a wifi with a VPN, no sim card needed, when not in use it is off and in the safe.