Thousands Protest Outside Thai Privy Council Chairman's Home

Mid

The demonstrators also arrived with wire cutters and gloves able to withstand barbed wire. They were prepared.

Thaksin's playing at least 2 games.

1. The PTV protestors, provoking and hoping for a violent reaction from the authorities, ie a second coup which they can relay globally, notice the banners demanding democracy in English for international consumption.

2 Play the political game, ie TRT part 2. This game is more expensive but will become the only option if the referendum is passed and the election campaigning gets under full swing.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This game is more expensive but will become the only option if the referendum is passed and the election campaigning gets under full swing.

just a point of clarity ,

latest is that the election will proceed regardless of the referendum results ,

the early scare tactic of tyeing the election to a successful referendum is no more .

they have no business coming to bangkok to cause trouble protesting and destroying public property. better to let the educated people incharge do what their jobs are to do: govern and rule the land. pity. my thai chinese wife said it best "back to your province."

Edited by SiamSquare123

If you would take a moment to look past this event you will see that this is a very personal attack on Prem. Prem is not the issue here as I see it but more of a revenge attack. If there is anti-government, anti junta protests, why go after a person who transcends several governments including Thaksin’s and for the most part is unchanged. Think what was going on just a year ago at this time when it became clear Thaksin was going after prem because he stood in his way. Prem is not the key to changing the country even that the TRT / PTV / Thaksin group would make you want to think. That lies with the Junta, and the PM at the moment.

Note the size of the rock in post #32, that had to be brought in as you would not find a rock that big just laying around in Bangkok. Even at an excavation site there is mostly if not all dirt and mud. This was clearly well planned and scripted in advanced.

As reported TRT members were seen paying people and in my mind this spells Thaksin. It is the only plan of action Thaksin has left, he has played all his cards as far as I can see. He is the only person that can benefit from this and can still fund it. The other lesser players PTV TRT have similar agendas because soon or later the will be at the top of the list of the bad boy hunters.

John K wrote: "It is the only plan of action Thaksin has left, he has played all his cards as far as I can see"

John - I think that is far from the reality. Thaksin has bought Man City. There he will wine and dine the 'Great & the Good and the Bad".

He now says that he prefers to live in China. China casts an envious eye on Thai food production. Who knows what deals he has done if they promise him help back to power? He has powerful friends there.

He is pulling the strings from afar. He still has huge support in the North and Northeast of Thailand.

Thaksin has a few Aces up his sleeve yet ! :o

Edited by Hermano Lobo

If you would take a moment to look past this event you will see that this is a very personal attack on Prem. Prem is not the issue here as I see it but more of a revenge attack. If there is anti-government, anti junta protests, why go after a person who transcends several governments including Thaksin’s and for the most part is unchanged. Think what was going on just a year ago at this time when it became clear Thaksin was going after prem because he stood in his way. Prem is not the key to changing the country even that the TRT / PTV / Thaksin group would make you want to think. That lies with the Junta, and the PM at the moment.

Note the size of the rock in post #32, that had to be brought in as you would not find a rock that big just laying around in Bangkok. Even at an excavation site there is mostly if not all dirt and mud. This was clearly well planned and scripted in advanced.

As reported TRT members were seen paying people and in my mind this spells Thaksin. It is the only plan of action Thaksin has left, he has played all his cards as far as I can see. He is the only person that can benefit from this and can still fund it. The other lesser players PTV TRT have similar agendas because soon or later the will be at the top of the list of the bad boy hunters.

John K wrote: "It is the only plan of action Thaksin has left, he has played all his cards as far as I can see"

John - I think that is far from the reality. Thaksin has bought Man City. There he will wine and dine the 'Great & the Good and the Bad".

He now says that he prefers to live in China. China casts an envious eye on Thai food production. Who knows what deals he has done if they promise him help back to power? He has powerful friends there.

He is pulling the strings from afar. He still has huge support in the North and Northeast of Thailand.

I fear you are right. I wonder how long before they send out a hitman?

Rich

Totally in opposition to reality as reality shows itself. But okay, let's fantasize a bit longer about Thaksin - what might those aces be, then?

Edited by Cyberstar

I can agree with you to some extent. Perhaps I should have said last card “in Thailand.” This is all getting to be a game, and as pointed out signs in English.

This put Thaksin in a clear point of conflict. If they can make the connection it was Thaksin, I have serious doubts the UK would keep him around if we think about the Singapore issue. If Thailand wants to push the issue and threaten political stability between the two countries over one man, I think the UK will send Thaksin on his way football team or not.

I can agree with you to some extent. Perhaps I should have said last card "in Thailand." This is all getting to be a game, and as pointed out signs in English.

This put Thaksin in a clear point of conflict. If they can make the connection it was Thaksin, I have serious doubts the UK would keep him around if we think about the Singapore issue. If Thailand wants to push the issue and threaten political stability between the two countries over one man, I think the UK will send Thaksin on his way football team or not.

None of this activity can serve T only one served by this kind of action are the ones that need an evel head in the news to protect us from. They come up with witness to pay and doc's to prove it it almost as fast as it happens what a joke. T don't care anymore and the junta needs conflict to prove its right.

I can agree with you to some extent. Perhaps I should have said last card "in Thailand." This is all getting to be a game, and as pointed out signs in English.

None of this activity can serve T only one served by this kind of action are the ones that need an evel head in the news to protect us from. They come up with witness to pay and doc's to prove it it almost as fast as it happens what a joke. T don't care anymore and the junta needs conflict to prove its right.

I disagree with you about the conflict. The junta has been doing it’s best to avoid using it’s muscle as it plays into Thaksin’s hands. This attack was scripted to play out just the way it did. Read posts 60 and 61. The fact that they brought things for the attack does not suggest it was spontaneous. The PTV / TRT / Thaksin group was not having any success hanging out at SL so they had to go and look for trouble. This is the exact same tactic Thaksin used a year ago when he decided to go beat on old men and young children.

PTV demonstrators affirm that protests will continue

Sanam Luang demonstrators affirm that they will continue political protests until their demands are met.

PTV demonstration leaders said that they will continue to conduct scattered political rallies in Sanam Luang and other areas throughout Bangkok. A meeting will be conducted in order to determine an exact date for the PTV's rally within the next 1-2 days. Meanwhile demonstration members, including PTV leader Mr. Nuttawut Saikeu (ณัฐวุฒิ ใสเกื้อ), who have been charged with assault and battery of police officers last affirm that they are ready to turn themselves in to authorities should a warrant be issued for their arrest.

PTV demonstrators added that they will be traveling to file charges against police officers at the Crime Suppression Division headquarters for injuring members of their demonstration group. Demonstration members denied that they practise human shield tactics, while affirming that they are ready to counter any crowd control technique implemented by authorities.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 July 2007

The demonstrators also arrived with wire cutters and gloves able to withstand barbed wire. They were prepared.

Thaksin's playing at least 2 games.

1. The PTV protestors, provoking and hoping for a violent reaction from the authorities, ie a second coup which they can relay globally, notice the banners demanding democracy in English for international consumption.

2 Play the political game, ie TRT part 2. This game is more expensive but will become the only option if the referendum is passed and the election campaigning gets under full swing.

A nice and accurate summation and one that most ordinary Thai people seem to agree with.

Interesting the drift back to the acestral homeland of China. We should also not forget the nice FTA that Mr. Thaksin delivered up for the Chinese and which has created such problems for Thai farmers. Will he get payback? Interesting thought although I dont personally see China directly dabbling in Thailand's affairs. It may just be that he feels more at home there with both his roots, asian culture and the controlled media. The British media have not been so nice to him and his.

Given the choice between Thailand and Thaksin there's no choice for Chinese.

Chinese have already shown how they would treat him. He could privately meet whoever he wants but any politically imapporpirate activities will be out of question.

Startfor have another of their analysis up where they conclude:

Instead, the protest was a poorly thought-out attempt by Thaksin devotees to create trouble for the regime and a last-ditch effort to express their political grudges

To access this you need to go to: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=...;ncl=1118447592

and scroll down to the link unless you want to take out a Stratfor subscription.

I think when the arrests come later this week you can expect some press conferences with so much spin and twists it wont even resemble reality. Down side it plays into Thaksin’s hands.

I wonder how much of this was caught on the new CCTV they have been installing. Certainly a few new priority places in Bangkok have been identified like near Prem’s house for one.

they have no business coming to bangkok to cause trouble protesting and destroying public property. better to let the educated people incharge do what their jobs are to do: govern and rule the land. pity. my thai chinese wife said it best "back to your province."

I don't think I could have summarised the position better myself.

I think when the arrests come later this week you can expect some press conferences with so much spin and twists it wont even resemble reality. Down side it plays into Thaksin’s hands.

I wonder how much of this was caught on the new CCTV they have been installing. Certainly a few new priority places in Bangkok have been identified like near Prem’s house for one.

This is certainly something the authorites have to play carefully. With all the media pics and videos the sympathy is certainly with the police now and the PTV demonstrators are in a bad light. Some of the pictures and video footage will lead to slam dunk prosecutions of rioters, but that does not include all or some of the leaders. I am not sure what they have on the leader of the maniacal white dove group. However, it seems the authorities do have video footage of the apparently quite vitriolic and confrontational speeches being given. The conundrum is that by airing excerpts they could paint these leaders in a bad light but they would at the same time give the message a greater exposure than the miniscule one it has now. Another thing they will have to think out clearly is that while most Thai people expect and probably support the arrest of the leaders now, how it is done will be critical. The pro-Thaksin demonstrators clearly want a public arrest of all leaders at Sanam Luang in front of TV cameras and preferably with a tad of police violence. Obviously the authorities do not want this scenario but also cannot at this point probably not arrest people as this would make them look not only weak but also allowing very unpopular mob rule to continue. Although right now the authorites have the upper hand in the war of perceptions it will still take careful steps for them to retain it.

From the Post: http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/24Jul2007_news10.php

Violent clashes show split among protesters

200 policemen and 30 civilians injured

NAOWARAT SUKSAMRAN

Violent clashes on Sunday night between anti-coup protesters and police exposed the split of opinions in the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) and could hamper its future moves.

Choopong Theethuan, one of its leaders, said the Sunday clashes, which left some 200 police and 30 civilians injured, was affecting reconciliation efforts and the atmosphere of democracy in the country.

and

A UDD source confirmed there was a difference of opinion as the UDD leaders were mapping out their rally plans.

The source said most of the members believed violence could draw attention from the media and the world community, as they wanted to show the world that the interim government under the Council for National Security (CNS) was dictatorial and used violence against political demonstrations by civilians.

The minority, on the contrary, sought to inform the public of the need to fight the military dictatorship, the source said.

They believed the rally leaders were not capable of controlling protesters in a systematic way, the source added.

Hopefully any minority peace minded rally goers or groups still remaining will decide to distance themselves from this tarnished political front now, which unsurprisingly to most, has been exposed for wanting violence.

Foreign Affairs Ministry affirms international communities not concerned over Thailand’s political protests

The deputy spokesman of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs reports that foreign governments are not concerned over Thailand’s political situation and hope that general elections will take place soon.

Deputy Spokesman of Foreign Affairs Piriya Khempon (พิริยะ เข็มพล) says foreign governments have yet requested the Thai government to explain the issues of political protests and the Southern insurgency. However, he says the ministry customarily assigned Thai embassies abroad to provide information about Thailand’s situation to foreign countries. Foreign governments are now reported to be closely monitoring events leading up to general elections in Thailand.

Asked whether political demonstrations will affect foreign investments in Thailand, the deputy spokesman says the ministry believes that it is not likely to happen as there are more important factors contributing to investment decisions including the government’s economic policy and measures to tackle the sharp appreciation of the baht.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 July 2007

The deputy spokesman of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs reports that foreign governments are not concerned over Thailand’s political situation

the deputy spokesman would do well to keep his mouth shut , if he exists at all .

now if you can find a quote from the PM saying the same ........................................

Nice pic of Jakob the Liar

30042150-01.jpg

Jakrapob Penkair

The Nation

Arrest looms for leaders

Senior politicians accused over clashes which left 200 injured outside Prem's home; Sonthi vows to halt rallies

Eight leaders of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) could be arrested today for inciting violence after anti-coup demonstrators clashed with police outside the Bangkok residence of Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda on Sunday, a spokesman for the Council for National Security (CNS) said yesterday.

The CNS members concluded after a meeting that the police would today ask the Criminal Court to issue arrest warrants against the eight DAAD leaders for tarnishing the country's image, both politically and economically, Sansern Kaewkamnerd said.

The DAAD leaders mentioned include Weng Tojirakarn, Veera Musigapong, Natthawut Sai-kua, Jatuporn Promphan and Jakrapob Penkair.

The CNS asked acting national police chief Gen Seripisut Temiyavej to impose tough measures on the demonstrators to prevent a new round of violence like Sunday's, Sansern said.

"They have the right to stage a peaceful rally but we will not allow them to move [from Sanam Luang] to cause trouble," he said. The anti-coup protesters threw a barrage of rocks, chairs and debris into the compound of Prem's home on Sunday night.

During the clash, police arrested and detained six protesters including Nopparut Worachitwuttikul, leader of the White Dove Group. They were charged with causing violence, using force and refusing to abide by police orders.

Despite the CNS's tough stand, the daily anti-junta rally at Sanam Luang would continue, while small groups would campaign in the provinces, DAAD member Weng Tochirakarn said.

Meanwhile, CNS chief General Sonthi Boonyaratglin vowed to halt the anti-coup rallies. He said he would no longer tolerate those who caused trouble for the country. "I have met a number of people today. They asked why I allowed such an incident to happen," Sonthi said.

"Prem has dedicated his life to the country, so society should honour this good person," he added.

The CNS had tried to compromise with the rally leaders but they did not cooperate, Sonthi said. It was time to take legal steps to control the situation, he added. The CNS had learnt that the anti-coup protestors would march to Prem's home, but it did not expect they would launch such an attack, Sonthi said.

Sonthi said he went to Prem's home yesterday morning to "apologise for failing to take good care of him".

"He [Prem] said he did not expect that the protesters would have done much harm to him because he had been working for the country for years. Most of all, he loves the country and is very loyal to the monarchy," Sonthi said.

The Army was monitoring the anti-CNS movements in the Northeast, but there were no signs of any significant threats so far, he added.

Pol Maj Gen Adisorn Nonsee said the police were gathering evidence with which to charge the anti-coup protest leaders.

The police had pictures and video clips that showed the leaders instigating violence as the crowd tried to break down barricades in front of Prem's home, he said.

Some 200 police officers were injured during the clash and were receiving treatment at hospitals, Adisorn said. The most serious case was a crime suppression officer who suffered a broken leg after protesters drove a car into him.

Noppadon Pattama, legal adviser and de facto spokesman for deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, said Thaksin was not involved with the protest and regretted that such violence had occurred.

Anti-CNS academic Somchai Preechasilpasakul warned the DAAD leaders that Sunday's violence would ruin the legitimacy of the movement, which could lead to people switching to support the junta-backed draft charter.

- The Nation

This is certainly something the authorites have to play carefully. With all the media pics and videos the sympathy is certainly with the police now and the PTV demonstrators are in a bad light. Some of the pictures and video footage will lead to slam dunk prosecutions of rioters, but that does not include all or some of the leaders. I am not sure what they have on the leader of the maniacal white dove group. However, it seems the authorities do have video footage of the apparently quite vitriolic and confrontational speeches being given. The conundrum is that by airing excerpts they could paint these leaders in a bad light but they would at the same time give the message a greater exposure than the miniscule one it has now. Another thing they will have to think out clearly is that while most Thai people expect and probably support the arrest of the leaders now, how it is done will be critical. The pro-Thaksin demonstrators clearly want a public arrest of all leaders at Sanam Luang in front of TV cameras and preferably with a tad of police violence. Obviously the authorities do not want this scenario but also cannot at this point probably not arrest people as this would make them look not only weak but also allowing very unpopular mob rule to continue. Although right now the authorites have the upper hand in the war of perceptions it will still take careful steps for them to retain it.

I am always amazed how some posters apparently know what "most Thai people" feel.My own view is that the pro-democracy protestors were taking a fairly high risk approach.Those Thais I have talked to however have indicated a preference for the authorities to take a low key and conciliatory approach.That would also be the smart thing to do especially as there is some evidence of police provocation.

Has Hammered given up even going through the motions of an even handed approach? Remember all this is the direct consequence of an illegal coup overthrowing an elected government.Save the expresions of outrage until Thailand has a properly functioning democracy again.

My own view is that the pro-democracy protestors were taking a fairly high risk approach.Those Thais I have talked to however have indicated a preference for the authorities to take a low key and conciliatory approach.That would also be the smart thing to do especially as there is some evidence of police provocation.

the obvious suspects fell for the trap , to the detriment of all ,

anything pro-democracy / anti junta is easily tainted as pro t

perhaps it's because the anti-junta's (like Weng) have aligned themselves with the self-serving, rock-throwing TRT'ers pro-Thaksinistas (like Jakob in his now-familiar facial expression)...

qaCScLO.jpg

Weng Tojirakarn, far left, Natthawut Saikua, second right, and Jaran Ditthapichai, right, listen as fellow Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) leader Jakrapob Penkair speaks at a press briefing yesterday to condemn the police suppression of the group’s anti-coup protest on Sunday night.

The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

"They have the right to stage a peaceful rally but we will not allow them to move [from Sanam Luang] to cause trouble," he said. The anti-coup protesters threw a barrage of rocks, chairs and debris into the compound of Prem's home on Sunday night.......

The CNS had tried to compromise with the rally leaders but they did not cooperate, Sonthi said. It was time to take legal steps to control the situation, he added. The CNS had learnt that the anti-coup protestors would march to Prem's home, but it did not expect they would launch such an attack, Sonthi said.

Sonthi said he went to Prem's home yesterday morning to "apologise for failing to take good care of him".

"He [Prem] said he did not expect that the protesters would have done much harm to him because he had been working for the country for years. Most of all, he loves the country and is very loyal to the monarchy," Sonthi said.

- The Nation

Just a reminder here, this is an 87 year old man whose house they attacked. There is no doubt violence was aimed at him, personally.

My own view is that the pro-democracy protestors were taking a fairly high risk approach.Those Thais I have talked to however have indicated a preference for the authorities to take a low key and conciliatory approach.That would also be the smart thing to do especially as there is some evidence of police provocation.

the obvious suspects fell for the trap , to the detriment of all ,

anything pro-democracy / anti junta is easily tainted as pro t

In this case the PTV demonstrators are mostly pro-T. Not much else to say.