Judge orders Trump and companies to pay nearly $355 million in civil fraud trial

Social Media

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2024 at 6:50 PM, Lacessit said:

Perhaps the most striking part of the opinion piece is the assertion Judge Engoron did everything possible in his verdict to negate any grounds for appeal.

Well so much for that.

The Appeals Court 25 March 2024 not only reduced the bond required to $175 million due in 10 days, but they summarily threw out Judge Engoron's ruling "barring defendant Donald J. Trump and the corporate defendants from applying for loans from New York financial institutions for three years;'

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well so much for that.

The Appeals Court 25 March 2024 not only reduced the bond required to $175 million due in 10 days, but they summarily threw out Judge Engoron's ruling "barring defendant Donald J. Trump and the corporate defendants from applying for loans from New York financial institutions for three years;'

My opinion is that Appeals Courts will almost always do something, or else their business dries up. That's why an appeal almost always provides some relief from the original verdict.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

My opinion is that Appeals Courts will almost always do something, or else their business dries up. That's why an appeal almost always provides some relief from the original verdict.

So in your opinion, just bizness as usual. This was the headline from the NY Times:

Trump’s Bond in Civil Fraud Case Is Reduced to $175 Million

The former president was racing to secure a half-billion-dollar bond, but an appeals court lowered the amount. The surprise decision may help him stave off financial disaster.

47 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

So in your opinion, just bizness as usual. This was the headline from the NY Times:

Trump’s Bond in Civil Fraud Case Is Reduced to $175 Million

The former president was racing to secure a half-billion-dollar bond, but an appeals court lowered the amount. The surprise decision may help him stave off financial disaster.

I didn't expect the Court of Appeals to reduce Trump's bond, I expected Trump to post the full bond.

But, I do expect the Court of Appeals to reduce the verdict amount.

10 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I didn't expect the Court of Appeals to reduce Trump's bond, I expected Trump to post the full bond.

But, I do expect the Court of Appeals to reduce the verdict amount.

Great. That is your opinion. Here is another (already posted in the $175 million topic)

March 25, 2024

It is unclear whether these same five judges will also hear Mr. Trump’s appeal, but David B. Saxe, a former judge on the appeals court that ruled on Monday, said that the court’s decision to short-circuit Ms. James’s collection efforts suggests that some of the judges were uncomfortable with Justice Engoron’s ruling.

“My view is that the court indicates it has difficulty with the breadth of the lower court’s decision,” said Mr. Saxe, who retired in 2017 after 36 years on the bench, 19 of them on the appeals court.

“They had other options available to them, and they issued a broad-based stay,” he continued, which he said suggests “that there is a view that they’re going to need to take a hard look at the lower court’s decision.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/25/nyregion/trump-bond-reduced.html

Note: the words 'ruling' and 'breadth of the lower court’s decision', not 'amount'.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1