Approx. Cost Knee MRI - or Ultrasound

Hi,

Injured my lateral collateral ligament and may need an MRI to see how bad it is.  Seems to be pretty much only the LCL that was damaged.

What's the range in prices?

Would an Ultrasound be a viable alternative?  The GP i saw wasn't sure.

Thank you  

Both ultrasound and MRI can be useful. Sometimes nothing more needed than physical examination and Xray.

What you need to do is see an ortho specializing in knees and see what tests he considers necessary.

As for cost of MRI, depends on where done. Stand alone imaging centers cost less than hospitals.

Where are you located?

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, retarius said:

I paid 20K at Bumrungrad. I heard of a friend getting it done for half that at Bangkok Hospital in Korat. Sorry know know about ultrasound vs MRI, but I think MRI is the gold standard.

Thanks for that

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Both ultrasound and MRI can be useful. Sometimes nothing more needed than physical examination and Xray.

What you need to do is see an ortho specializing in knees and see what tests he considers necessary.

As for cost of MRI, depends on where done. Stand alone imaging centers cost less than hospitals.

Where are you located?

In Trang.

Thanks for the help.

just google for MRI thailand..choose online booking and you can see all prices......they have 10 branches around thailand  ..

Unfortunately I see they raise their prices a lot.  A few weeks ago it was 7200 THB per knee, elbow or shoulder, now the price is 9000 THB

I used them two times, after the MRI Scan you get a CD with the pictures ,which you can bring to your Doc/hospital. Same day or latest the next day you get a medical report by email. Radiologist will contact you after three days in case you have some more questions.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get the MRI.  It will give you an omnidirectional view of what's wrong, a d you can view it as a video or as individual pics.  The ortho putting your knee back together will know exactly what's wrong and what needs to be done.

An ultrasound won't give you anything close to what an MRI will pick up.  And, depending on the angle, might even miss things.

Prachachuen Clinic in BKK does MRI for 9,000 on a specified area.  I had two done recently, one on the lower back and one on the ankle.  9,000 each. They have quite a few locations in BKK.

On 2/17/2024 at 5:28 PM, ouagadougou said:

In Trang.

Thanks for the help.

I realize it's a 2 1/2 hour drive each way but I recommend you go to Hat Yai and consult

Assoc Prof. Varah Yuenyongviwat. Be guided by him as to what tests (if any) are needed.

He can be seen at Prince of Songkhla University Hospital or at his private clinic

https://www.orthopsu.org/services

(go through the Special Clinic, he is there on Mondays)

https://varahclinic.com/profile/

open both of the above links in Chrome for translation

If MRI is recommended, and there is a long wait to do it at the hospital. you can get it at:

Hat Yai PC Imaging Center Co., Ltd. (located inside Hat Yai Hospital) 182 Rattakarn Road, Hat Yai Subdistrict, Hat Yai District, Songkhla 90110

Tel: 074-223-424-5
 Mobile: 088-227-5392

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alanrchase said:

15,000 baht for lower abdomen at a government hospital in Bangkok July last year.

The MRIThailand.com website quotes 14,000 for lower abdomen, slightly cheaper and locations around Thailand. 

Considering that is basically all they do, I would expect their testing to be of a high standard.

1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

The MRIThailand.com website quotes 14,000 for lower abdomen, slightly cheaper and locations around Thailand. 

Considering that is basically all they do, I would expect their testing to be of a high standard.

Does that include contrast? As the bill shows, if you require contrast it costs extra. Also I seem to recall Sheryl suggesting that if contrast is required it is best to use a hospital in case you have a bad reaction to the contrast medium.

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I realize it's a 2 1/2 hour drive each way but I recommend you go to Hat Yai and consult

Assoc Prof. Varah Yuenyongviwat. Be guided by him as to what tests (if any) are needed.

He can be seen at Prince of Songkhla University Hospital or at his private clinic

https://www.orthopsu.org/services

(go through the Special Clinic, he is there on Mondays)

https://varahclinic.com/profile/

open both of the above links in Chrome for translation

If MRI is recommended, and there is a long wait to do it at the hospital. you can get it at:

Hat Yai PC Imaging Center Co., Ltd. (located inside Hat Yai Hospital) 182 Rattakarn Road, Hat Yai Subdistrict, Hat Yai District, Songkhla 90110

Tel: 074-223-424-5
 Mobile: 088-227-5392

You cant get that kind of infomation on Google! 

We attended a government hospital in Khonkaen at the beginning of February where my wife was told that she needed an MRI brain scan. The doctor advised that she was eligible for free treatment at another government hospital but he suggested that the waiting time for a free scan might be excessive so we agreed to have it carried out at the hospital we were attending.

The cost is just over 20k baht and the appointment is in 6 weeks time.

I fell somewhat cheated to discover on here that we could get the scan done privately for 7,200 and they have appointment slots available in as little as a week.

The wife doesn't want to go to the private clinic and save over 10k as she is worried that the doctor will be offended.

Such is the mindset in rural Thailand.

16 hours ago, nahkit said:

We attended a government hospital in Khonkaen at the beginning of February where my wife was told that she needed an MRI brain scan. The doctor advised that she was eligible for free treatment at another government hospital but he suggested that the waiting time for a free scan might be excessive so we agreed to have it carried out at the hospital we were attending.

The cost is just over 20k baht and the appointment is in 6 weeks time.

I fell somewhat cheated to discover on here that we could get the scan done privately for 7,200 and they have appointment slots available in as little as a week.

Was this scan done with contrast? If so, (1) adds to the cost and (2) potentially dangerous to do outside of a hospital.

On 2/20/2024 at 12:42 PM, Sheryl said:

Was this scan done with contrast? If so, (1) adds to the cost and (2) potentially dangerous to do outside of a hospital.

The scan hasn't taken place yet and I did note your earlier post regarding the dangers of doing a scan with contrast outside of a hospital.