Thailand’s fiery plight: 400+ hotspots spark concern

snoop1130

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

No You look at the map, the mountain range between Thailand and Cambodia only a small amount drifting over that and NONE on KC. or Koh Mac

received_1798992600544491.thumb.jpeg.7c81170d3948a03bc29272426d033f7c.jpeg.ebc0f53f02d545edeba06ed9dc685a79.jpeg

Right. That's a fire map. Not a wind map. But yes. Small hills totally block the wind.:cheesy:

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

The police could actually make post burning arrests too. 

Yes but only if someone tells  'em to.

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Also, close down, or at least heavily fine, all sugar mills that accept burnt cane. If they stop accepting burnt cane, the farmers will stop burning. However, local authorities need to help out with supplying cane harvesters, as locals can't afford such machinery. 

Sugar cane refineries already pay more for the un-burnt raw cane. This Is attractive enough to encourage machine harvesting.

The harvesters are owned by the factory who charge the farmers for harvesting. Transport lorries are privately owned and paid for by the farmer.

So from this, the farmer has to pay for everything including fertilser and weed killer and, as if that wasn't enough, the farmer also pays for ploughing and planting every third year.

Advice from the sugar cane refinery to the farmer is that they should burn the residue left after harvesting to kill off fungus on the fields.

Note there would be no fungus if crop rotation was employed, but then the farmer would be out of pocket and the sugar refinery would probably point to a clause in their contract about supplying cane annually.

Sugar cane growers can make more money than rice growers but the market is limited to sugar refineries whereas a rice grower can sell his rice to whomever he likes

I grow rice and some I sell to a rice mill but most I mill myself and sell locally.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Absolute Twaddle I live here and have done for many years, that is broken cloud not smoke or smog.

IMG_20240220_100101.thumb.jpg.21ca5b51fe5393df1b8255ec1a08344b.jpg

Photo from my place Today.

IMG_20240220_095226.thumb.jpg.8f762fd0d0686adbf2b555999f0cbb92.jpg

And WHERE is my place?

On 2/20/2024 at 7:40 AM, Muhendis said:

The police don't see it as their job.

True; like lots of other offences: black windscreens; seatbelts on pickups; helmets; and of course not ONE prosecution against any of Pattaya taxi-drivers for failure to use meters.  At least in Bangkok some are wrist-slapped.