50-Year Prison Sentence for Corruption: Official Embezzles 400k Baht from Prisoner Aid Shop

webfact

5 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Now the authorities are getting the idea, it's called a "Deterrent" if only they would see this (Deterrent) in other types of sentencing instead of the soft slap on the wrist.

The thing with the slap-on-the-wrist and a 500Bt fine crowd is there are soooooooooooooo many of them. If they all got what they really deserve, which is 3,6,12,18 months behind bars, the Thai prisons would be so overcrowded it would be ridiculous, they'd be stacked up to the ceilings. I'm sure the judges are aware of this. There are just too many miscreants for the Thai system to effectively deal with.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I agree, but they could increase the fines substantially, please don't say but they can't afford to pay, as this fine is also supposed to be a deterrent & not just a fine.  

2 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

I agree, but they could increase the fines substantially, please don't say but they can't afford to pay, as this fine is also supposed to be a deterrent & not just a fine.  

How is it a deterrent if they can't or won't pay?

Jail time sticks.

1 hour ago, still kicking said:

So Thaksin embezzled billions of bath walks free?

Did he ?  ... NO

Was that the charge, or 'abuse of power', as there is a difference.  And he was originally sentence to 8 years.   That sentence commuted, which is available to and criminal sentence, if lucky enough to have done.

Embezzlement & fraud is a different crime, and carries a different sentence.  And I believe a minimum of 2 yrs for each incident, so if committing fraud, 25 times, then a 50 yr sentence would be correct, whether served concurrent or not would be a major issue.

Obviously he didn't spread the brown envelopes around enough......or maybe not at all! Maybe the higher ups were pissed off they didn't get it before he did, that would piss some people off! 

I've heard of people getting less for murder, rape of children, etc, he just embezzled money........hmmmmm.

On 2/21/2024 at 3:02 AM, KhunLA said:

Did he ?  ... NO

Was that the charge, or 'abuse of power', as there is a difference.  And he was originally sentence to 8 years.   That sentence commuted, which is available to and criminal sentence, if lucky enough to have done.

Embezzlement & fraud is a different crime, and carries a different sentence.  And I believe a minimum of 2 yrs for each incident, so if committing fraud, 25 times, then a 50 yr sentence would be correct, whether served concurrent or not would be a major issue.

I actually didn't use the term "embezzlement", since that has a specific legal meaning. I said "stealing". That is a term I would use for paying a senior government official for approving the purchase of hardware at inflated prices, since government funds are public funds. I would also use it for paying an even more senior government official to approve a monopolistic concession, so that he could again overcharge for mobile phones and telecommunications services, all paid for by the Thai people. That is in addition to taking government funds for the awarding of state contracts, of which I had personal experience. Nor do I recall any evidence of his having paid tax on any of that. The abuse of power charges were, rather like Al Capone, all they could get him for as no-one would be a witness to any of the other stuff.