Investigation: The antisemitism that Oct. 7 unleashed in Canada

Social Media

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

The world has changed a lot since 2016.

So you can provide evidence that the majority of anti-semitic posts in the UK originate from people associated with left wing causes?

33 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

So you can provide evidence that the majority of anti-semitic posts in the UK originate from people associated with left wing causes?

I've always associated anti-Jew, anti-Muslim/Arab, xenophobia, racism, etc, with right-wing groups, not left-wing. But that may be because I see myself as being extremely left-wing. And, I'm from the USA, not the UK. 

35 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Just browsing around and came up with this. Certainly it is known how the left leans.

Of course it's not the kind of "evidence" you are seeking. Here's the link, hope it's ok to post it:

https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/68854/html/

Part 3: Left-Wing Antisemitism is not new

3.1 Antisemitic anti-Zionism is found most often on the far left of the political spectrum. There has always been a distinct tradition of left-wing antisemitism (see Steve Cohen 1984, Johnson 2015b).

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Its pretty much evident in most reports if you look, just ask Jeremy Corbyn, he should know...............or............

The far left refuses to recognize Jews as a legitimate ethnic group, and for Jews to think of themselves as such is “racist.” I wrote, “Exactly why Jewish solidarity is racist, but not solidarity among other groups, is never clearly explained, but it seems to have something to do with the fact that Jews aren’t a legitimate ethnic group to begin with,” and that the far left believes that Jews have a duty to ultimately “assimilate or disappear.” Braumold writes:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/05/10/when-antiracists-are-the-racists-left-wing-anti-semitism-in-britain/

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

"But"? You invoked 2016, not me. I proved that was wrong.

No I didn't.

RuamRudy linked to an article from 2016 and I pointed out that it's not really relevant to the discussion. 

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

What is new? anti semitism alway been and will be in the world in that or this capacity and locations,

Jews are the scapegoat of every bitter and lost person who have to hate and blame someone,

today it's about Gaza, tomorrow it will be about some other reasons, so nothing much new here...

It hasn't always been in the world.

It only emerged in Pharaonic Egypt, gave birth to the Exodus, but then vanished until it appeared again in Medieval Europe.

Whatever misfortune befell them between those periods was the result of their rebellion against Imperial rule in the Ancient/Classical world.......they suffered as did other rebellious subject peoples/tribes.

Jews in Pharaonic Egypt and Jews in Medieval Europe both flourished, and then became outcast, for more or less the same intertwined reasons that other ethnocentric minority groups have......for as long as Jews have.

A few years ago the UN had the Rohingya as the most persecuted people in the world.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

Antisemitism, islamophobia, racism......all rely on one simple trait......can you identify a group or individual as not belonging to your "gang"

Football fans, politicians, countries.....are no different......bagism is the only answer, but totally impractical.

Edited by Will B Good

48 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its pretty much evident in most reports if you look, just ask Jeremy Corbyn, he should know...............or............

The far left refuses to recognize Jews as a legitimate ethnic group, and for Jews to think of themselves as such is “racist.” I wrote, “Exactly why Jewish solidarity is racist, but not solidarity among other groups, is never clearly explained, but it seems to have something to do with the fact that Jews aren’t a legitimate ethnic group to begin with,” and that the far left believes that Jews have a duty to ultimately “assimilate or disappear.” Braumold writes:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/05/10/when-antiracists-are-the-racists-left-wing-anti-semitism-in-britain/

The post that I responded too stated that anti-semitism was a left-wing disease. However I provided documented evidence which showed that, only a handful of years ago, 90% of anti-semitic posts in the UK were from people with hard right affiliations. Now I am very willing to accept that there has been a rise in anti-semitism from factions of the left but it would be dangerous and naïve to assume that the hard right has had some Damascene conversion. 

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Antisemitism, islamophobia, racism......all rely on one simple trait......can you identify a group or individual as not belonging to your "gang"

Football fans, politicians, countries.....are no different......bagism is the only answer, but totally impractical.

Can't say I like any groups that have imaginary friends.

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

The post that I responded too stated that anti-semitism was a left-wing disease. However I provided documented evidence which showed that, only a handful of years ago, 90% of anti-semitic posts in the UK were from people with hard right affiliations. Now I am very willing to accept that there has been a rise in anti-semitism from factions of the left but it would be dangerous and naïve to assume that the hard right has had some Damascene conversion. 

They still are unless the far right think "Jews will not replace us" came from antifa impersonating white supremacists.

Furthermore, the favourite whipping boy of the far right is George Soros who funds every conspiracy. Their claim is as false as the man in the moon.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

You mean like the Labour Party?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-54731222

image.png.ca5771ee39567c4ba62e0f3ba96d703e.png

https://news.sky.com/story/diane-abbott-accused-of-hateful-antisemitism-after-suggesting-jews-do-not-face-racism-12864141

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

How about we acknowledge the bulk of the cases instead of finding a few cases to cherry pick?  The Murdoch press is known for stirring racial animus. Not a good source.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

No I didn't.

RuamRudy linked to an article from 2016 and I pointed out that it's not really relevant to the discussion. 

It wasn't an article, it was research undertaken by the World Jewish Congress, who's aim is to act as "the diplomatic arm of the Jewish people". I posted this to respond to your ludicrous suggestion that anti-semitism was solely a left-wing phenomena. 

As I replied to BKK Brian, there is most probably an increase in the level of anti-semitism originating from hard left organisations, but those 90% of hard right bigots in 2016 haven't gone away; they haven't stopped recruiting; they haven't stopped their hatred. The BNP, EDL, UKIP still exists, and where the far right has a home, as is shown time and again, racists are welcome. 

9 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists and used by cowards to manipulate morons" [Christopher Hitchins]

Your posts and name is very similar to WB Smart?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

No, I mean like empirical data which proves that 90% of anti-semitic posters on social media are affiliated with left wing causes.

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists and used by cowards to manipulate morons" [Christopher Hitchins]

Your posts and name is very similar to WB Smart?

WB Smart......is that a member's name on here?

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

How about we acknowledge the bulk of the cases instead of finding a few cases to cherry pick?  The Murdoch press is known for stirring racial animus. Not a good source.

If you don't want cherry picked examples, why not read the fulll report? You might learn something.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/default/files/investigation-into-antisemitism-in-the-labour-party.pdf

21 hours ago, JCauto said:

You're telling me that Canadian Jews led a one-sided assault on Gaza killing thousands of Palestinians? This is incredible! How did they get there and get on the front lines?

Huh? Did you misread that badly?

Canadian Muslims didn't commit the atrocities of Oct 09 either.

What is your point exactly?

17 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Does that give them an excuse for the surge in antisemitic incidents in Canada? Did these Canadian Jews have anything at all to do with any alleged incidents in Gaza?

What the article purposefully failed to mention is there has been an equal rise in Islamophobia in Canada and anti Muslim attacks.

People on both sides are behaving badly in Canada. Canadian Muslims and Jews should not be the targets of anyone's anger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

....the thread is about Canada....please stay on topic.

Just providing more examples of left wing/Liberal governments failing to address anti-semitism and often engaging in it themselves. It's a pattern amongst left wing governments and by looking at that pattern we can see reasons for why this is happening in Canada. 

But yes, let's focus more directly on Trudeau's own party's failure to act swiftly after October 7. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-trudeaus-antisemitism-envoy-faces-criticism-for-silence-on-rising/

image.png.d5156ce451478e7a070f0152a0d90110.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

hear hear. in today's world of advanced technology and scientific knowledge people still continue with it all. amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, mikebike said:

What the article purposefully failed to mention is there has been an equal rise in Islamophobia in Canada and anti Muslim attacks.

People on both sides are behaving badly in Canada. Canadian Muslims and Jews should not be the targets of anyone's anger.

Not sure what that has to do with my post but looking at the source this was an investigative piece from a reporter, perhaps his next one will be on Muslims, who knows. 

8 minutes ago, stoner said:
50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

hear hear. in today's world of advanced technology and scientific knowledge people still continue with it all. amazing.

I define "religion" as a "belief system based on faith." So, I also define science (and physics, math, etc.) as a religion. Science and these other systems are based on our faith in logic, reason, cause-and-effect, the passage of time, etc., which are all just products of our human intellect. None of these exist in reality - not even in Canada! (to stay on Topic), :stoner:

Edited by WDSmart

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

It hasn't always been in the world.

It only emerged in Pharaonic Egypt, gave birth to the Exodus, but then vanished until it appeared again in Medieval Europe.

Whatever misfortune befell them between those periods was the result of their rebellion against Imperial rule in the Ancient/Classical world.......they suffered as did other rebellious subject peoples/tribes.

Jews in Pharaonic Egypt and Jews in Medieval Europe both flourished, and then became outcast, for more or less the same intertwined reasons that other ethnocentric minority groups have......for as long as Jews have.

A few years ago the UN had the Rohingya as the most persecuted people in the world.

You seems to overlook the occupations of the holy land by the Romans, Greeks, Persian, 

Assyrians and the the Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar who exiled the Jews to Babylon

for about 70 years, and the wars the Jewish people had to fight all those occupying forces..

Hardly a period in the Jewish people history that no one wanted to either rule over them

exile or destroy them, and nothing changed since then...

Edited by ezzra

5 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

I define "religion" as a "belief system based on faith." So, I also define science (and physics, math, etc.) as a religion. Science and these other systems are based on our faith in logic, reason, cause-and-effect, the passage of time, etc., which are all just products of our human intellect. None of these exist in reality - not even in Canada! (to stay on Topic), :stoner:

not much faith in 1 plus 1 i'm afraid. just fact. now a man walking on water....cause and effect alright. 

• Thumbs Up 1