Trump soundly defeats Nikki Haley in South Carolina Republican primary

Social Media

Just now, ozimoron said:

You're assuming that her voters are disaffected dems and not largely comprised of republicans who don't like trump. I can't see it.

"Her" voters will disappear during the general election, unless she runs third party. If so, "her" voters will be Democrats and independents who think Biden is too old.

At best, "her" Republican voters will stay home in November, but most will fall in line and vote for Trump.

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

"Her" voters will disappear during the general election, unless she runs third party. If so, "her" voters will be Democrats and independents who think Biden is too old.

At best, "her" Republican voters will stay home in November, but most will fall in line and vote for Trump.

I think the number of voters who truly believe that Biden is too old but Trump isn't must number in the single digits. I read that she's about to launch a major ad campaign so she's not going anywhere. Haley can obviously read the tea leaves in the bottom of the cup of Trump's legal woes. And his lack of money to combat her ad onslaught. If her voters do stay home, Biden wins because he turned out a record number of voters in 2020 and they didn't do it out of love for Biden.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I don't think she has any delusions that he would pick a non white woman as a running mate, especially one who has caused him all this angst. The question is does she hate Trump more than her party loyalty?

He did pick her for his UN secretary post, But that was before they had a history.

You have to understand something about these people, they are completely transactional.. He needs to do something about the woman vote, and the minorities vote. She ticks both of these boxes, and she has the additional value of name  recognition, and administration experience. But I could be wrong. 

I hope he wins the nomination and Haley is his running mate. 

I often say how I wish Trump would be the Republican candidate. Why?

We have to look what happened in the 2020 election. 

trump lost the popular vote by what? 7-8 million votes? and that was when he got a significant percentage of the independent vote, and some of the woman vote. 

Fast forward 4 years later. We already know who trump was, and it was not a pretty sight .

He is polling much lower with the woman vote and the independant vore, in addition he will get a lower percentage of the republican vote as many who voted for him in 2020 have said they would never vote for him and ruther vote for Biden rather than see trump become president again. Case and point Liz Chaney. Romney etc.

For the above reasons I believe Biden will wipe the floor with trump. But if the supreme court disqualifies trump then maybe the republicans will get a viable candidate. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

He did pick her for his UN secretary post, But that was before they had a history.

You have to understand something about these people, they are completely transactional.. He needs to do something about the woman vote, and the minorities vote. She ticks both of these boxes, and she has the additional value of name  recognition, and administration experience. But I could be wrong. 

I hope he wins the nomination and Haley is his running mate. 

I often say how I wish Trump would be the Republican candidate. Why?

We have to look what happened in the 2020 election. 

trump lost the popular vote by what? 7-8 million votes? and that was when he got a significant percentage of the independent vote, and some of the woman vote. 

Fast forward 4 years later. We already know who trump was, and it was not a pretty sight .

He is lolling much lower with the woman vote and the independant vore, in addition he will get a lower percentage of the republican vote as many who voted for him in 2020 have said they would never vote for him and ruther vote for Biden rather than see trump become president again. Case and point Liz Chaney. Romney etc.

For the above reasons I believe Biden will wipe the floor with trump. But if the supreme court disqualifies trump then maybe the republicans will get a viable candidate.

You do make a compelling argument here. It is true that Trump does need her money and perhaps he can pretend to be a moderate but I don't think anyone will buy that line. Not that I think Haley is particularly moderate. I think her anti Russia feelings and Trump's obeisance to Putin would be a deal breaker for her as well in the VP pick.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Nikki Haley is keeping quiet about her stance on abortion. Unlike bigmouth Trump, who is crowing over the SC vacating Roe vs Wade, and claiming responsibility.

Trump has to claw back about 7 million votes, when he has several self-awarded handicaps. The female vote will swing against him. The unions have realized he does not represent them. The military knows he wants to downsize them. He has spent truckloads of campaign funds on his legal bills.

As they say in Australia, a drover's dog could win against Trump.

The polls say he gets 312 and he beat Biden in 10 out of the last 11 polls. Biden looks gone. 

https://www.racetothewh.com/president/polls

Edited by Dolf
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Well I think that Trump taking power again means the official end of American democracy and total victory for authoritarianism globally, and I'm not panicking at all.

Yes I expect it to be Trump vs. Biden.

I also expect Trump to be a convicted felon by then.

Trump can win even as a convicted felon of course, but it way too early to prepare for his coronation. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dolf said:

The election is at the end of the year and exit polls are often wrong. The choice is 82-86yo or Trump with less wars, less border chaos. Easy decision.

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

The opposite. Voters want Trump. He's winning nearly all of them. 

So polls are wrong except when you like the result.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just now, stevenl said:

So polls are wrong except when you like the result.

Why do you think 1 poll is more accurate then 11? 

Anti Trump bias? Must be.

Pollsters look at the weight of polls and Trump won 10 out of the last 11. That's a trashing for Biden.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Pollsters look at the weight of polls and Trump won 10 out of the last 11. That's a trashing for Biden.

Not repeating.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're not paying attention. She has disqualified herself for that. It's impossible. 

Perhaps I am not paying Attention  .So how has she disqualified herself?

11 minutes ago, Dolf said:

The polls say he gets 312 and he beat Biden in 10 out of the last 11 polls. Biden looks gone. 

The day I start believing opinion polls is the day I surrender my brain cells.

If Biden is doing so poorly, why is Trump wishing the economy would crash?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

The day I start believing opinion polls is the day I surrender my brain cells.

If Biden is doing so poorly, why is Trump wishing the economy would crash?

Why don't you believe 10 opinion polls? The other guys cherry pick 1 and believe that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dolf said:

what has been your experience with the predictive value of early polls?

5 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Why don't you believe 10 opinion polls? The other guys cherry pick 1 and believe that.

My personal opinion is that election polls don't have much predictive value until after Labor Day.

So if you believe February polls, you are making a rookie mistake.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dolf said:

I don't believe them because this is February, and the election is in November. By then, either Trump or Biden could have had a stroke. IMO the event is far more likely with Trump, given his dietary preferences, and his stress levels.

OTOH, I do put some store in exit polls.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I don't think she has any delusions that he would pick a non white woman as a running mate, especially one who has caused him all this angst. The question is does she hate Trump more than her party loyalty?

She is pro war, him anti war. She hates him. Why would Trump pick her? But you never know in politics. They might kiss and make up.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Perhaps I am not paying Attention  .So how has she disqualified herself?

Four reasons 

She's setting the table for 2028 or hoping Trump's health burns out before the convention. Running as VP and losing ruins 2028 for her.

This

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/19/nikki-haley-vice-president-off-the-table-2024-00136626

She's crossed the Rubicon in the severity of her attacks on Trump.

Trump has explicitly said she's off the list of possibles.

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

There's 2 chances that Trump will agree to debate Biden or Haley. None and Buckley's.

Trump wants to debate Biden. Biden doesn't. Biden is scared.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't believe them because this is February, and the election is in November. By then, either Trump or Biden could have had a stroke. IMO the event is far more likely with Trump, given his dietary preferences, and his stress levels.

OTOH, I do put some store in exit polls.

Come June the chiefs behind the scenes will be worried if no turn around.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

There's 2 chances that Trump will agree to debate Biden or Haley. None and Buckley's.

Trump has no reason to debate Haley, but Trump will clean the stage with biden. Biden doesn't stand a chance.

Who's Buckley?

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1