How Safe Are You - Living in Thailand?

Just now, Stevemercer said:

Thailand won't be attacked in the event of a world war. However, it will be dominated by China and may become increasingly subservient. Sooner or late China will come after any foreigners living in Thailand, particularly those nationalities seen as enemies. China would expect Thai authorities to round up such individuals and hand them over for 'safe keeping'. Thailand will oblige and may even 'nationalise' any assets for the benefit of the nation (read those in charge).

Precisely!

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand does ally itself with China, if a major conflict were to break out Thailand is not particularly useful to anyone. It's not particularly strategic

Not so sure I agree with the non strategic aspect.  I'm no mariner but looking at a world map, the Gulf of Thailand/Chao Phraya estuary would seem like an excellent place to locate a naval fleet. Bangkok and Laem Chabang ports would be useful and the whole lot appears to be easily defendable from 3 sides.

China has been very busy in recent years 'helping' countries in Asia to build new road and rail networks. Interestingly, 2 major projects, currently under construction, lead directly from China down through Laos to Bangkok.

• Like 1

It is the US and the Biden gang who have been fueling hostility, sanctions and pushing the world to war. The US arms dealers must be grateful.

Even a fool would be aware and understand the usual tricks the US is playing with Europe and the world.

As long as Thailand and Asia keep their distances with sleepy Joe's cronies, all will be fine here.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

You're taking us into an entirely different area but the real reason that more crops are being grown than there were 50 years ago is because demand has increased.  That demand has resulted in the use of fertilizers and pesticides that are contributing to the destruction of the eco-system.  Climate change and destruction of the eco system are entirely man made phenomena.

You don't have to be be Einstein to understand that you can't take out, more than you put in - not without consequences. Nor do you have to be a scientist to realise that the smoke and fumes we have bellowed out into the atmosphere, particularly since 1750 has not been a good thing.

And humans are the most intelligent species?

NASA images show more green land now than before. Maybe man isnt the devil but the media is always negative.

https://www.nasa.gov/technology/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth-study-finds/

3 minutes ago, Dolf said:

NASA images show more green land now than before. Maybe man isnt the devil but the media is always negative.

https://www.nasa.gov/technology/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth-study-finds/

From the above article:

"While rising carbon dioxide concentrations in the air can be beneficial for plants, it is also the chief culprit of climate change. The gas, which traps heat in Earth’s atmosphere, has been increasing since the industrial age due to the burning of oil, gas, coal and wood for energy and is continuing to reach concentrations not seen in at least 500,000 years. The impacts of climate change include global warming, rising sea levels, melting glaciers and sea ice as well as more severe weather events."

If you don't think the above climate change impacts are affecting global food production, you are sadly mistaken. Extreme weather events are becoming daily occurrences. You would have to have your head in the sand not to recognize this. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

From the above article:

"While rising carbon dioxide concentrations in the air can be beneficial for plants, it is also the chief culprit of climate change. The gas, which traps heat in Earth’s atmosphere, has been increasing since the industrial age due to the burning of oil, gas, coal and wood for energy and is continuing to reach concentrations not seen in at least 500,000 years. The impacts of climate change include global warming, rising sea levels, melting glaciers and sea ice as well as more severe weather events."

If you don't think the above climate change impacts are affecting global food production, you are sadly mistaken. Extreme weather events are becoming daily occurrences. You would have to have your head in the sand not to recognize this. 

Crop production is up not down.

https://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituation/csdb/en

After 30 years of negative climate this climate that we have new records of green land and more crops.

Edited by Dolf

33 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Not so sure I agree with the non strategic aspect.  I'm no mariner but looking at a world map, the Gulf of Thailand/Chao Phraya estuary would seem like an excellent place to locate a naval fleet. Bangkok and Laem Chabang ports would be useful and the whole lot appears to be easily defendable from 3 sides.

China has been very busy in recent years 'helping' countries in Asia to build new road and rail networks. Interestingly, 2 major projects, currently under construction, lead directly from China down through Laos to Bangkok.

How about the deep port facility the Chinoise are building in Sihanoukville. And why are the Yanks all of a sudden interested in raising the sunken RTN ship that sank?

Road and belt is bait...

36 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Doesn't China import lots of good from Thailand? Makes sense to have a rail system that is faster and more reliable. 1.4bn Chinese.

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

From the above article:

10 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

From the above article:

The population has doubled therefore more need for food and carbon dioxide makes plants and therefore food products grow more.

I haven't noticed in recent years that the heat has increased in Thailand and if it increased I would move further north.

Your fear is unjustified and absurd, human beings have always suffered atmospheric changes caused by our friend and enemy the sun, and our human activities have a very limited impact compared to the masses of energy at play on planet earth.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2024 at 8:01 PM, MangoKorat said:

Climate change has already ruined the world - the question is, how much can we salvage - if any?

Think I'm wrong?  Fires, Floods, Droughts mean anything to you?

Did they not have fires, floods and droughts 200 years ago?

Worst recorded drought was 100,000 years ago

"By extracting sediment cores from Lake Malawi, one of the largest and deepest lakes on Earth, scientists determined in 2007 that sub-Saharan Africa experienced a series of mega-droughts from 135,000 to 90,000 years ago. Rainfall was so scarce, in fact, that the lake’s water level dropped some 2,000 feet,"

https://www.history.com/news/7-withering-droughts

Only 1 out of the top 7 occured recently.

Edited by Dolf

if you survive the Songkran road demolition derby then you can worry about your nuclear winter 
but one thing at a time please.

plus there's more than enough Ruskies here on their 90 day preparation for doomsday plan not to mention the Chinese

to hunt you down and hell they gotta replace the insect diet with something a bit more substantial..

you gotta love the realism on this forum.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, BE88 said:

The population has doubled therefore more need for food and carbon dioxide makes plants and therefore food products grow more.

I haven't noticed in recent years that the heat has increased in Thailand and if it increased I would move further north.

Your fear is unjustified and absurd, human beings have always suffered atmospheric changes caused by our friend and enemy the sun, and our human activities have a very limited impact compared to the masses of energy at play on planet earth.

You're spouting ideological nonsense that flies in the face of 99% of scientific studies. Haven't noticed any increase in heat in Thailand? Huh? Did you notice there wasn't a cool season this year, Peter Cottontail? As far as your "just move North" strategy for dealing with climate change, join the club. What do you think is driving mass migration northward from Central and South America?

How could you possibly make such blasé comments about climate change? Wild fires in Greece, flash flooding in Vermont, Mexico City on the verge of running out of water, ground water aquifers all over the world being pumped dry, rivers around the world (Mississippi, Loire, Rhine, Po, Yangtze, etc.) either becoming unnavigable and insufficient to meet agricultural needs, snow line levels rising in mountainous regions, glaciers receding, wild fires in Canada, Spain, Portugal, France, record droughts, the Mediterranean Sea and oceans around the world heating up to record levels, signs that the Atlantic current system is starting to break down, wildfires in the Russian tundra, atmospheric rivers pounding California with never before seen torrential rains, wildfires in Chile, no snow in European ski resorts, rising sea levels eroding beaches and cliffs. None of this resonates with you?

There isn't a farmer in Thailand who would agree with your observation that the climate hasn't changed in Thailand in the last 20 years. You must be living under a rock and never read newspapers.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gecko123 said:

You're spouting ideological nonsense that flies in the face of 99% of scientific studies. Haven't noticed any increase in heat in Thailand? Huh? Did you notice there wasn't a cool season this year, Peter Cottontail? As far as your "just move North" strategy for dealing with climate change, join the club. What do you think is driving mass migration northward from Central and South America?

How could you possibly make such blasé comments about climate change? Wild fires in Greece, flash flooding in Vermont, Mexico City on the verge of running out of water, ground water aquifers all over the world being pumped dry, rivers around the world (Mississippi, Loire, Rhine, Po, Yangtze, etc.) either becoming unnavigable and insufficient to meet agricultural needs, snow line levels rising in mountainous regions, glaciers receding, wild fires in Canada, Spain, Portugal, France, record droughts, the Mediterranean Sea and oceans around the world heating up to record levels, signs that the Atlantic current system is starting to break down, wildfires in the Russian tundra, atmospheric rivers pounding California with never before seen torrential rains, wildfires in Chile, no snow in European ski resorts. None of this resonates with you?

There isn't a farmer in Thailand who would agree with your observation that the climate hasn't changed in Thailand in the last 20 years. You must be living under a rock and never read newspapers.

Post the temperatures for Thailand from the last 20 years. Then people might believe you.

I do not understand your claims that Thailand is "riding two horses" in criminal index (incidence) .The official figures from Thailand is very good thanks to excellent Royal Thai Police Authorities.

Source:
Safety index score in Bangkok in Thailand from 2015 to 2022
and here is thecrime index in Europe "paradise" 
Source:
https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=Crime_statistics
I am foreigner from Greece/Athens and I never feel unsafe in Thailand furthermore many of my friends from E.U Countries feel very safe and comfortable in Thailand thanks again to Royal Thai Police Department.
Dont forget to tell a great thanks appreciation to Royal Thai Police Department in times where Police Authorities across the world are in daily social media "firing range" because policemakers failed to implement their tasks. In other hand I worried about of juvenile criminal activities 
Police officers do not have the legal right to arrest jouveniles when they are commiting crimes according to the Law. A couple of weeks ago I had a incidence with a little boy 16-17 years old when I sat outside of coffee store and he came to seek fire for his cigarettes from my friend (although I have quit smoking since 20 years ago).My friends lighter wasnt lit and the little guy started to shout us.
I wake up from my chair and told him "please leave us alone and go to find another lighter for your cigarettes because we just arrived from a cemetery and we are in bad mood".
The 16-17 years old guy started to shout me "I will f....you etc" and waitress woman from the shop came out and shout him to go away.
I told him "please go peacefully in your job because we just arrived from a cemetery and we are in bad mood" furthermore "another time you will f....me" okay?
The waitress woman from the coffee shop came out and shout him to get out of here I will call policemen and I correct her you probably mean "the guys with black uniforms who first start to beat and after....... half hour ask you what do you want"......Two guys who were sitting next to us to the next table wake up and told me congratulation for my patience and the guys were graduated from Harvard University besides of that they were both surpiced when I showed them my Identification Card and my work.......
When you see smoke from cigarette on street you call Fire Department to put it out?
Thailand is a safe destination for many people across the world and the only thing you should do if you want to improve your safety is :
1.Dont visit "red zone" districts where crimes occured
2.Υοu must inqire Thai Ministry of Justice or Thai Ministry for Internal Affairs to change the current law of juvenile crimes beacuse Police Officers do not have the legal right to touch juveniles when they are commiting crimes activities but only Juvenile Prosecutor has the legal right to order an arrest fot minors or juveniles commiting crimes with guns or samurai knives......

Edited by Paris333
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Did they not have fires, floods and droughts 200 years ago?

Worst recorded drought was 100,000 years ago

"By extracting sediment cores from Lake Malawi, one of the largest and deepest lakes on Earth, scientists determined in 2007 that sub-Saharan Africa experienced a series of mega-droughts from 135,000 to 90,000 years ago. Rainfall was so scarce, in fact, that the lake’s water level dropped some 2,000 feet,"

https://www.history.com/news/7-withering-droughts

Only 1 out of the top 7 occured recently.

Ahh so you're a climate change denier? All the world's top scientists are wrong? Fair enough, discussion over.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think we are very safe here, safer than in most other nations around the world. Think about it, though Thailand does ally itself with China, if a major conflict were to break out Thailand is not particularly useful to anyone. It's not particularly strategic and it doesn't have enough minerals or other resources to attract the attention of nations with bad intentions.

Granted if things were to get really crazy then the biggest cities in Thailand are probably the last places that you want to be. But, in general, I think we're very safe here. Especially in smaller towns and rural areas. 

Not if people start running low on money and supplies. You would be a primary target for theft, scams and the associated risks that come with it. I would not want to be in a "rural area" in that situation. Look at Venezuela and the scene there due to inflation. No way would you want to be an outsider there. War tends to cut off supply routes and the availability of goods and people start getting nasty.

Edited by JimTripper

5 minutes ago, Paris333 said:

I do not understand your claims that Thailand is "riding two horses" in criminal index (incidence) .The official figures from Thailand is very good thanks to excellent Royal Thai Police Authorities.

Source:
Safety index score in Bangkok in Thailand from 2015 to 2022
and here is thecrime index in Europe "paradise" 
Source:
https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=Crime_statistics
I am foreigner from Greece/Athens and I never feel unsafe in Thailand furthermore many of my friends from E.U Countries feel very safe and comfortable in Thailand thanks again to Royal Thai Police Department.
Dont forget to tell a great thanks appreciation to Royal Thai Police Department in times where Police Authorities across the world are in daily social "firing range" because policemakers failed to implement their tasks. In other hand I worried about of juvenile criminal activities because 
Police officers do not have the right to arrest jouveniles when they are commiting crimes according to the Law. A couple of weeks ago I had a incidence with a little boy 16-17 years old when I sat outside of coffee store and he came to seek fire for his cigarettes from my friend (although I have quit smoking since 20 years ago).My friends lighter wasnt lit and the little guy started to shout us.
I wake up from my chair and told him "please leave us alone and go to find another lighter for your cigarettes because we just arrived from a cemetery and we are in bad mood".
The 16-17 years old guy started to shout me "I will f....you etc" and waitress woman from the shop came out and shout him to go away.
I told him "please go peacefully in your job because we just arrived from a cemetery and we are in bad mood" furthermore "another time you will f....me" okay?
The waitress woman from the coffee shop came out and shout him to get out of here I will call policemen and I correct her you probably mean "the guys with black uniforms who first start to beat and after....... half hour ask you what do you want"......Two guys who were sitting next to us to the next table wake up and told me congratulation for my patience and the guys were graduated from Harvard University besides of that they were both surpiced when I showed them my Identification Card and my work.......
When you see smoke from cigarette on street you call Fire Department to put it out?
Thailand is a safe destination for many people across the world and the only thing you should do if you want to improve your safety is :
1.Dont visit "red zone" districts where crimes occured
2.Υοu must inqire Thai Ministry of Justice or Thai Ministry for Inernal Affairs to change the current law of juvenile crimes beacuse Police Officers do not have the legal right to touch juveniles when they are commiting crimes activities but only Juvenile Prosecutor has the legal right to order an arrest fot minors or juveniles commiting crimes with guns or samurai knives......

Arai na?

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

Ahh so you're a climate change denier? All the world's top scientists are wrong? Fair enough, discussion over.

I just posted the facts proving you wrong. I'm neither an alarmist or a denier. I just look at facts without emotions.

I see you are an alarmist with no facts.

12 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

How could you possibly make such blasé comments about climate change? Wild fires in Greece, flash flooding in Vermont, Mexico City on the verge of running out of water, ground water aquifers all over the world being pumped dry, rivers around the world (Mississippi, Loire, Rhine, Po, Yangtze, etc.) either becoming unnavigable and insufficient to meet agricultural needs, snow line levels rising in mountainous regions, glaciers receding, wild fires in Canada, Spain, Portugal, France, record droughts, the Mediterranean Sea and oceans around the world heating up to record levels, signs that the Atlantic current system is starting to break down, wildfires in the Russian tundra, atmospheric rivers pounding California with never before seen torrential rains, wildfires in Chile, no snow in European ski resorts, rising sea levels eroding beaches and cliffs. None of this resonates with you?

Wahoo, terror fills me reading all your BS. Evidently reading my answer is impossible for you to understand

Edited by BE88
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dolf said:

I just posted the facts proving you wrong. I'm neither an alarmist or a denier. I just look at facts without emotions.

I see you are an alarmist with no facts.

There is no alarmist intention in any of my posts - however, they are being taken that way by many, mainly focusing on 'nuclear winters' etc. That has little to do with the original question which was asking how safe expats feel in Thailand given that the world is in a dangerous state and Thailand will almost certainly align with China in any potential conflict - I doubt they'd be allowed to do anything other than that.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

There is no alarmist intention in any of my posts - however, they are being taken that way by many, mainly focusing on 'nuclear winters' etc. That has little to do with the original question which was asking how safe expats feel in Thailand given that the world is in a dangerous state and Thailand will almost certainly align with China in any potential conflict - I doubt they'd be allowed to do anything other than that.

Post some facts on Thailand with links. Otherwise it'd just words.

Where is the proof that nuclear war is going to happen soon?

5 minutes ago, Dolf said:

I just posted the facts proving you wrong.

In fact you didn't - your temperature chart for example, the one that you say shows temperatures are roughly the same - in fact shows a steady trend upwards. In measuring any statistics, its the trend that's usually of importance.

Furthermore, temperatures illustrating climate change are considered using a range from around 1750 to the present - the period during which industrialisation has caused the current damage. The change between then and now is around 1 degree and that has been enough to trigger Climate Change. What is being attempted now is to prevent the temperature rising any more than another 1.5 degrees - so far we are failing and world weather events illustrate that.

I haven't posted and statistics to back up my points because I didn't think there was anybody left who didn't take Climate Change seriously.  What would the point be in debating the subject further with you? Your points are invalid and have been proven so countless times by people who know far more about the matter than you or I. Debating the matter would be like raking up the Brexit debate again, whether you like it or not, its happened.

Climate Change is a fact and has been well proven over decades.  I don't need any convincing, I've both seen and studied the evidence and have no interest in debating the subject.  What you think is insignificant and I mean that in the nicest way. The world's governments have accepted the existence of Climate Change and are acting on it.  Some are not doing enough, others are doing better but we all need to do more. Thankfully the deniers case no longer has any validity and the argument has switched to how to tackle Climate Change, not whether it exists or not.