How Safe Are You - Living in Thailand?

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Its becoming more dangerous with all the foreigners arriving with mental health issues. Very dangerous now. 

Should test all foreigners before awarding long term visas. 

Who is going to get you tested?

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, JGon said:

Geographically Thailand is in a good position. Geo-politically... assuming all out Nuclear war... It is my belief that besides China being bomb to hell... I believe the following countries around the region would also get bombs (At least in their Capital Cities, if not many more).. obviously Japan/Australia/India, but also Taiwan, North korea, South Korea, Vietnam, Philippines, Singapore... Obviously most of Europe, Rusia, a lot of the Middle East/Iran, and last but not least North America (US, Canada, Mexico). At this time I don't think Bangkok would get hit... unless over the coming years the government starts siding with one side or the other.

Anyway... in a few hours billions would die... armageddon... so what about us here. At first you might be "ok" but in the following days or weeks... If a nuclear winter is triggered most of us will die of famine over months. Remote Islands near the equator might be our best bet if that happens. Depending on the season... Wet season would keep most of the fallout away since the winds come from the southwest. Dry season we are screwed... because the winds come from Vietnam/China, so all the radiation will contaminate everything here. Eventually scores of survivors escaping radiation and colder temperatures from the Nuclear fall out will move into what was Thailand and probably keep moving south.

I say what was Thailand because I believe in a scenario like that anarchy will rule, everyman for himself... basically it will be hell on Earth for the vast majority of the population. 

It is more likely to use smaller tactical dirty bombs than full on nuclear weapons, but mistakes is also likely to happen. 

Which reminds us to live today, and make plans for the worst. We are based both in Europe and Thailand, so we have choices if we have to make a decision. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

That is exactly what I'm considering - sad though, I've spent 8 years getting my house the way I want it.

House in Thailand? Foreigners can't buy land unless over a certain amount.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Who is going to get you tested?

No need to be nasty. 

Aggressive, hostile comments are all too common for those with mental health issues. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

No need ... 60+ bald ex mechanic :laugh:

Screenshot_20240225_173150_Opera.jpg

Ha ha and you might see I quote my age differently in other topics - seeing as you've been away so long doing your research. If you look far enough back, you will find posts where I state I'm in my forties - although that may be under a previous member name. There was a very good reason for me stating my age and baldness in that thread - it was aimed at making a point, that should be clear. As it happens I am not bald and will tell you truthfully that I'm not 60.

Why are you so obsessed with my age - which by the way, I refuse to reveal?

I can't remember my previous username but with a little work, I can probably find it if you wish to do any further research.  I promise you though, it will not reveal my true age.

Let's say I'm 80, will that make you happy?

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

No need to be nasty. 

Aggressive, hostile comments are all too common for those with mental health issues. 

I was not being nasty but if that is how you take life then I am sorry if I omitted the sarcastic/(not so funny to you) laughing emoji!

:sad:

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Hokeus said:

This is such a pathetic conversation, even just the notion of it and all the fearful, wining reactions of many (but not all) who are worrying only about their own superficial personal interests. 

Meanwhile, there are so many bigger and more important issues facing the world right now. But this attitude here doesn't surprise me. Most of the foreigners who live in Thailand have run away from the developed world in fear of one thing or another, either something material, spiritual, legal, financial, or otherwise. Thus, they are hiding and hoping that their newfound hangout will keep them safe from having to ever deal with reality again. Many are actually just bottom feeders. 

So everyone needs to grow a pair and stop only worrying about their own tiny little microcosm of life that they have now, tucked away in a developing country that is facing so many of its own challenges politically, financially and environmentally and doesn't have the luxury to worry about the well being of all the outsiders who now reside here. 

Thus, stop just worrying about yourselves and what you would do in a doomsday scenario that may never come. Instead, think about how maybe you can do something today to help make the world a better place for the people, animals, and environment around you who are all desperately trying to survive just like you.

If you feel insulted by any of this then I am sorry, but if you do then maybe you need to take closer at yourself to see what can be improved. Rant over. 

wow what a crock of <deleted> that could've been condensed into just one paragraph.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

And neither have the people I reply to ... we're all broken records.

Just because they repeat it, doesn't make it true.   Another 100 years, and both sides of the argument will probably be stating the same thing.  Same as the last 100 years, when the doom & gloom climate alarmist predicted we'd be in a dire climate state already/now, or worse, already dead & gone due to climate.

Still waiting ... :coffee1:

Same with nukes ... remember the bomb drills & fear prompting some to have bomb shelters :cheesy:

Pure entertainment brought to you by MSM, and the profiting puppeteers.  How many times are y'all going to fall for the same BS ... WAKE UP

Have you ever considered that you might be a victim of propaganda fuelled by companies with a vested interest and huge amounts of money?

Most doctors smoke Camel.

44 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I feel safe in Thailand.

I don't think the safety in Thailand will change much in the foreseeable future.

Putin is not mad. He knows what he is doing. And it seems he gets away with almost anything.

I am most concerned about the USA, their military industrial complex, and their millions of christian fanatics.

Many of them are looking forward to the rapture, they want war in the middle east, the bigger, the better.

Many Evangelicals See Israel-Hamas War as Part of a Prophecy - Bloomberg

It's rather curious that they don't see the Russia Ukraine war as part of a prophecy. Or any other war. I wonder why? Not.

22 minutes ago, Hokeus said:

If you feel insulted by any of this then I am sorry, but if you do then maybe you need to take closer at yourself to see what can be improved. Rant over. 

Not insulted at all - I just feel a little sorry for you.  Sorry that you don't seem to be able to read correctly, I don't actually live in Thailand right now. I'm not refering to any doomsday scenario - I'm simply asking how safe expats in Thailand feel right now given the REAL global situation.  A situation which a great many of the world's military experts think is a very real threat.

I also care very much about current world problems - as would be clear if you read my posts in other sections.  However, yes, I care about my future plans and what risks I might face. I wouldn't cross the road if I knew a bus was coming, maybe you'd just take your chances?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am most concerned about the USA, their military industrial complex, and their millions of christian fanatics

I have to say that the USA's future concerns me too - especially if Trump gets in.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I have to say that the USA's future concerns me too - especially if Trump gets in.

Why? Trump did well last time. Trump will stop the wars that Biden can't.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

House in Thailand? Foreigners can't buy land unless over a certain amount.

I've 'owned' my house in Thailand for almost 10 years and I'm quite happy with the way I 'own' it.  How I do that is my business but its all done by a lawyer and I'm not going to enter into any arguments about that.  A foreigner cannot own land but they can protect their assets quite legally.  The amount to which they can protect their assets can vary according to what area their property is situated but a good degree of protection is possible in all locations. A foreigner cannot own land but they can own the house it sits on outright without any legal shenanigans. I am however, happy that I 'own' both the house and the land.

I am however, considering selling it at the moment, mainly because of local changes that don't suit me but also because world events + the actions of the Thai governement lead me to feel less safe than I was 10 years ago.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I've 'owned' my house in Thailand for almost 10 years and I'm quite happy with the way I 'own' it.  How I do that is my business but its all done by a lawyer and I'm not going to enter into any arguments about that.  A foreigner cannot own land but they can protect their assets quite legally.  The amount to which they can protect their assets can vary according to what area their property is situated but a good degree of protection is possible in all locations. A foreigner cannot own land but they can own the house it sits on outright without any legal shenanigans. I am however, happy that I 'own' both the house and the land.

I am however, considering selling it at the moment, mainly because of local changes that don't suit me but also because world events + the actions of the Thai governement lead me to feel less safe than I was 10 years ago.

Hard to sell a house when you don't own the land.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Why? Trump did well last time. Trump will stop the wars that Biden can't.

How can he stop the wars biden cant stop? Only thing Trump can, is to stirr up things and leave the responsibility to clean up to others. Trump will be a stepp back, since he have a beef with everyone and everything 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

How can he stop the wars biden cant stop? Only thing Trump can, is to stirr up things and leave the responsibility to clean up to others. Trump will be a stepp back, since he have a beef with everyone and everything 

So you want an 84yo to stop wars and manage the border? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dolf said:

So you want an 84yo to stop wars and manage the border? 

Both choices is delusional, shouldnt be necessary to state, but Biden is surrounded with a experienced team he will lead, and if not capable they will lead him. 

As an Europeen, it is in my interest to keep Trump out of the office, and shouldnt be difficult to understand for americans either. Realistic and safer for allies, even there is camels to swallow being an allies with the emperor who is on declaining profile, and the future is looking challenging. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hummin said:

Both choices is delusional, shouldnt be necessary to state, but Biden is surrounded with a experienced team he will lead, and if not capable they will lead him. 

As an Europeen, it is in my interest to keep Trump out of the office, and shouldnt be difficult to understand for americans either. Realistic and safer for allies, even there is camels to swallow being an allies with the emperor who is on declaining profile, and the future is looking challenging. 

The war will go for years under Biden. Ukraine smashed. Only Trump can negotiate a deal. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1