How Safe Are You - Living in Thailand?

4 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

In fact you didn't - your temperature chart for example, the one that you say shows temperatures are roughly the same - in fact shows a steady trend upwards. In measuring any statistics, its the trend that's usually of importance.

Furthermore, temperatures illustrating climate change are considered using a range from around 1750 to the present - the period during which industrialisation has caused the current damage. The change between then and now is around 1 degree and that has been enough to trigger Climate Change. What is being attempted now is to prevent the temperature rising any more than another 1.5 degrees - so far we are failing and world weather events illustrate that.

I haven't posted and statistics to back up my points because I didn't think there was anybody left who didn't take Climate Change seriously.  What would the point be in debating the subject further with you? Your points are invalid and have been proven so countless times by people who know far more about the matter than you or I. Debating the matter would be like raking up the Brexit debate again, whether you like it or not, its happened.

Climate Change is a fact and has been well proven over decades.  I don't need any convincing, I've both seen and studied the evidence and have no interest in debating the subject.  What you think is insignificant and I mean that in the nicest way. The world's governments have accepted the existence of Climate Change and are acting on it.  Some are not doing enough, others are doing better but we all need to do more. Thankfully the deniers case no longer has any validity and the argument has switched to how to tackle Climate Change, not whether it exists or not.

Only 1c increase over the past 300 years?

I can live with that!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Post some facts on Thailand with links. Otherwise it'd just words.

Where is the proof that nuclear war is going to happen soon?

There is no proof, you know that very well - how could there be? However, its clear to me - and the world's experts, that we are in very dangerous times and the potential for something stupid to spark a much bigger conflict is very real. 

I posted a link to the views of British experts on the subject, there are plenty more from others around the world.  I'm not going to enter into a circular debate with someone who would preach that black is white until the cows come home. All you would do is argue with any links I posted.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

In fact you didn't - your temperature chart for example, the one that you say shows temperatures are roughly the same - in fact shows a steady trend upwards. In measuring any statistics, its the trend that's usually of importance.

Furthermore, temperatures illustrating climate change are considered using a range from around 1750 to the present - the period during which industrialisation has caused the current damage. The change between then and now is around 1 degree and that has been enough to trigger Climate Change. What is being attempted now is to prevent the temperature rising any more than another 1.5 degrees - so far we are failing and world weather events illustrate that.

I haven't posted and statistics to back up my points because I didn't think there was anybody left who didn't take Climate Change seriously.  What would the point be in debating the subject further with you? Your points are invalid and have been proven so countless times by people who know far more about the matter than you or I. Debating the matter would be like raking up the Brexit debate again, whether you like it or not, its happened.

Climate Change is a fact and has been well proven over decades.  I don't need any convincing, I've both seen and studied the evidence and have no interest in debating the subject.  What you think is insignificant and I mean that in the nicest way. The world's governments have accepted the existence of Climate Change and are acting on it.  Some are not doing enough, others are doing better but we all need to do more. Thankfully the deniers case no longer has any validity and the argument has switched to how to tackle Climate Change, not whether it exists or not.

1. It shows a very mild movement up over a long period of time. Not much concern. 1940 was hotter than early 2000s :laugh:

2. The drought data proves you wrong as well. Worst one was 100,000 years ago.

So your alarmist views are not accurate.

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

There is no proof, you know that very well - how could there be? However, its clear to me - and the world's experts, that we are in very dangerous times and the potential for something stupid to spark a much bigger conflict is very real. 

I posted a link to the views of British experts on the subject, there are plenty more from others around the world.  I'm not going to enter into a circular debate with someone who would preach that black is white until the cows come home. All you would do is argue with any links I posted.

What's the purpose of your scare mongering then?

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

1. It shows a very mild movement up over a long period of time. Not much concern. 1940 was hotter than early 2000s :laugh:

2. The drought data proves you wrong as well. Worst one was 100,000 years ago.

So your alarmist views are not accurate.

1. A mild movement is all that's needed - events take place when they are triggered and they have been triggered. Water boils at 100 degrees, not at 99.

2. Its not my evidence you are trying to prove wrong, its that of the world's experts.

3. Again, they are not my views and neither are they alarmist. They are proven facts, driven by studies and data examined by the world's top brains who've spent decades investigating the matter.

As I said earlier, your views are invalid and of no consequence, by far the majority of the world's countries have accepted Climate change - the debate is over!

You seem to be claiming you know better than the world's best scientists. Perhaps you should go and talk at COP30 next year?

• Sad 1

Just now, MangoKorat said:

1. A mild movement is all that's needed - events take place when they are triggered and they have been triggered. Water boils at 100 degrees, not at 99.

2. Its not my evidence you are trying to prove wrong, its that of the world's experts.

3. Again, they are not my views and neither are they alarmist. They are proven facts, driven by studies and data examined by the world's top brains who've spent decades investigating the matter.

As I said earlier, your views are invalid and of no consequence, by far the majority of the world's countries have accepted Climate change - the debate is over!

You seem to be claiming you know better than the world's best scientists. Perhaps you should go and talk at COP30 next year?

I just proved you wrong on droughts and floods. I just showed Thailand has only had 0.5 degrees of warming in 80 years and none since 1996.

So your alarmist views have been proven wrong.

4 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

You seem to be claiming you know better than the world's best scientists.

How many climate experts can you name? Give me a list of 10 please. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Graph shows about 0.5 degrees of warming over 80 years but basically none since 1996.  

I can live with 0.5 degrees of warming over 80 years.

This will be my final reply to you.

You post as your evidence on Climate Change, a graph showing only 80 years and centering on Thailand?  Climate Change is global not Thailand centric.  You have selected that graph because you think it agrees with your position.

I suggest you look at the evidence from international organisations that cover the planet.

How about this one

GlobalTemp.png

'This graph shows the change in global surface temperature compared to the long-term average from 1951 to 1980. Earth’s average surface temperature in 2023 was the warmest on record since recordkeeping began in 1880 (source: NASA/GISS). NASA’s analysis generally matches independent analyses prepared by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and other research groups. Overall, Earth was about 2.45 degrees Fahrenheit (or about 1.36 degrees Celsius) warmer in 2023 than in the late 19th-century (1850-1900) preindustrial average. The 10 most recent years are the warmest on record.'

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Confused 1

At the end of the day there really is nothing 99.99999% of us can do anything about this.

The fate of the world really lies in the hands of less than half a dozen men.

I really only give things like this a glancing thought is when I hear either Putin, Xi, or the rotund one in NK, are "sick". Not sure what either of these guys would do knowing they were dying. Possibly even Trump, if say he were impeached again, or those photos go public. And no, not those ones, the other ones 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Only 46% of Americans believe climate change is man made

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2023/08/09/why-some-americans-do-not-see-urgency-on-climate-change/

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

This will be my final reply to you.

You post as your evidence on Climate Change, a graph showing only 80 years and centering on Thailand?  Climate Change is global not Thailand centric.  You have selected that graph because you think it agrees with your position.

I suggest you look at the evidence from international organisations that cover the planet.

How about this one:

GlobalTemp.png

Great I like 1 degrees warmer temps. Don't like the cold. Hope it goes up another 1 degrees over the next 50 years.

Just now, rct99q said:

Well 30% of Americans only believe what they hear via fringe news outlets. 30% believe in what they hear from main stream media, the rest are just uneducated.

He said the debate was over when 54% don't believe the alarmists and nor should they.

Just now, MangoKorat said:

Which part of 'I will not debate this with you further' do you not understand?

I never said that you did. It's up to you to stop debating after your loss.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dolf said:

How many climate experts can you name? Give me a list of 10 please. 

Beaker - from the muppets

Jan Carleson - institute of wacky knowledge

PeeWee Herman - rain forecast on lower seating

Barbara Van Sicken - hooker

Jorge Rodriguez - second baseman Mazatlan RedDogs

Pappies- my childhood dog good at predicting lightning

Churro Chino - weatherman from the chocolate factory

Brent Weinstein - world's leading authority on weather climate change from 1365 BC

Jesus  - enough said

Marsh Wigglesworth - Australian author of "F$ck it, It's Just Rain"

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, rct99q said:

Beaker - from the muppets

Jan Carleson - institute of wacky knowledge

PeeWee Herman - rain forecast on lower seating

Barbara Van Sicken - hooker

Jorge Rodriguez - second baseman Mazatlan RedDogs

Pappies- my childhood dog good at predicting lightning

Churro Chino - weatherman from the chocolate factory

Brent Weinstein - world's leading authority on weather climate change from 1365 BC

Jesus  - enough said

Marsh Wigglesworth - Australian author of "F$ck it, It's Just Rain"

How about Brian Cox, the guy would got Einstein's theory wrong :cheesy:  A student had to correct him. He's an alarmist.

2 minutes ago, Dolf said:

How about Brian Cox, the guy would got Einstein's theory wrong :cheesy:  A student had to correct him. He's an alarmist.

Let me get this straight, the guy from Succession misunderstood something Superdaves' dog was quoted as saying? And he has trouble telling time? 

A few too many Chang's this evening?

2 minutes ago, rct99q said:

Let me get this straight, the guy from Succession misunderstood something Superdaves' dog was quoted as saying? And he has trouble telling time? 

A few too many Chang's this evening?

Cut back on the drinking.

26 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Cut back on the drinking.

A lot of guys in pattaya drink all the time. I figure they are drinking their cares away. Once buzzed they have some cheap eats at the big d food court. Later on, it's time to hit the sack in the small fan room. Life in retirement is what they always thought it should be, but not what they dreamed it to be. No worries.

Edited by JimTripper

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

A lot of guys in pattaya drink all the time. I figure they are drinking their cares away. Once buzzed they have some cheap eats at the big d food court. Later on, it's time to hit the sack in the small fan room. Life in retirement is what they always thought it should be. No worries.

Does that sound like fun to you?

On 2/25/2024 at 3:28 PM, MangoKorat said:

I don't want to be a scraremonger but I think its fair to say that the world is far closer to all out war than its been since the Cuban Misile Crisis of 1962.  There's conflict in the Middle East, Syria, several in Africa and many people (including myself) don't think Putin's appetite will end with Ukraine.  Then there's the tension between the US and China - in particular in relation to Taiwan. There is also a general tension between Islamist factions, if not entire nations and the West in general.

I'm not a fan of nuclear weapons but I think its fair to say that the deterrent they have provided has almost certainly stopped major conflicts developing until now.  I'd like to think that deterrent still exists but we have several lunatic country leaders around the world at the moment.  Russia currently holds the world's largest stockpile of nucear warheads (6257) and is controlled by a madman with, in my opinion, designs on rebuilding the Soviet Union. There is also a distinct possibility that another, very unpredictable lunatic will take charge of the holder of the world's second biggest nuclear stockpile (5550), the USA later this year.

I believe Putin has major aspirations and has spent a lot of time trying to align himself with various nations including Iran, North Korea and China.  I'm not so sure however, that China would support Russia in any expansionist escapades he may embark upon. One thing I think is a distinct possibility is that if Putin takes Ukraine and then moves on to attack another country, in particular a NATO member, that would most likely be the spark that ignites a major world conflict.

Thailand likes to ride 'two horses' but if any major conflict kicks off, its geographical position will almost certainly dictate its allegiance - China is not the same 'helpless' country it was during WW2.

So, given that so many members here currently live in Thailand and have made major financial and marital committments in the country, how safe do you feel in Thailand at the moment?

You don't sound very well traveled or intelligent.

• Haha 1