Thailand Adjusts Excise Taxes on Local Liquor to Boost Tourism

webfact

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Chilean reds are drinkable. More a quaffing wine than anything decent but it's cheap and it's somewhat drinkable.

What does this have to do with lowering the tax rate on locally produced alcoholic beverages?

This is the move intended to trigger the Chinese group tours back again. Only problem is that the Chinese masses never heard about wine, just baijiu, so a bit misfired. 

3 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Oh yes....plonk is available at that price.....you use it for cooking right?

3 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Yes cooking and marinating!!

40 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This is wrong, this will not have any effect on tourism, a big zero. What might have an effect on tourism would be lowering the import wine tax on fine wines, and growing that part of the industry. Perhaps that would help to attract the wealthier tourists that Thailand keeps droning on and on about. Tourists who have very deep pockets are highly offended when they come here and try to order a bottle of wine that they pay $100 for at home, and it's $500 to $600, or it's just not available. And nobody knows anything about them because the wine industry is so severely oppressed due to the heinous taxation issues.

This administration needs to start getting some smarts, and exercising their brains rather than behaving like buffalo, and passing one policy after another which make no difference. 

Yes true and I would imagine also the local beer makers lobby ( grease ) the authorities to keep the import taxes (not excise) in place so they will sell more locally produced beer. Hopefully one day the powers that be will see the bigger picture and understand with sensible imported taxes the tourism revenue will increase to benefit all. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

I think that's debatable....

Do the authorities honestly think reducing the exercise on liquor will encourage more tourist to come to Thailand?  The only benefactors will be large retail stores, breweries and liquor  producers located in Thailand.

Those cheap red wines for sale 299b should really be about 180b based on the quality ! 

Therefore for a minimum decent sup should be around 280b  imvho

1 hour ago, Hakuna Matata said:

ThaiBev's boss will be happy

He doesn't have a boss, he is the boss, hence why they have actively tried to kill the craft beer industry which any fool could see would be a money maker for the country as a whole (see Vietnam and Singapore) and actually offer up some "soft power" to send around the world.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jack Hammer said:

Do the authorities honestly think reducing the exercise on liquor will encourage more tourist to come to Thailand?  The only benefactors will be large retail stores, breweries and liquor  producers located in Thailand.

And me.

4 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Let's get down to basics. How much will a case of Chang be now?

"now" is an interesting word in your sentence. I wonder when exactly now will be. How much reduction in price? Well TIT so probably go up.

• Like 1

".....stated that the new tax reduction would only benefit a certain group of people." In other words - "The Big Boys".

And what about the much vaunted proposed  50% cut in Import duties and Taxes on foreign wine and spirits - still under the rug I suppose? Where it will probably stay for a couple of years and they can bring it back out, wave it around for a while and then put it back again. Yeah, yeah, yeah!!!

5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Like all cheap wine after the 5th glass it tastes fantastic:burp:

Also I saw some "French" wines in Tesco - when you read the labels on the reverse of the bottle on two different alleged Vintners they both read the same with the same grammatical and spelling mistakes:spam1: well I can't find one for "sham".

Edited by Negita43

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I'm not sure about this. I seem to remember import duties and excise were involved. Stand to be corrected though.

On February 23rd, 2024, Mr. Ekniti Nitithanprapas, the Director General of the Excise Department, publicly announced the adjustment of excise taxes and duties structures on local liquor ................."

Nothing mentioned about imported wines and spirits - see my  post above the previous one for those!

And as if to clarify the point that imports were not included:- 

"However, Mr. Thanakorn Kuptajitti, the adviser to the Thai Alcohol Beverage Business Association, stated that the new tax reduction would only benefit a certain group of people."

Edited by sambum

2 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

In my understanding that refers to lao khao, Sang Som, Leo, Chang beer, and such.

They will never lower the duties on their cash cow, the imported wine.

Do you know what the tax is on these at the moment?

8 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Like all cheap wine after the 5th glass it tastes fantastic:burp:

Also I saw some "French" wines in Tesco - when you read the labels on the reverse of the bottle on two different alledged Vintners they both read the same with the same grammatical and spelling mistakes:spam1: well I can't find one for "sham".

Spelling mistakes? - "alledged"? ("alleged" surely! 😀)

7 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

Do you know what the tax is on these at the moment?

Must be quite hefty as they were talking about Import Duties and Taxes being reduced by 50% a couple of months ago, (and a couple of years ago, and......):-

"Sep 21, 2564 BE  A news report by the Bangkok Post said the Customs Department is looking to cut tariffs on imported alcoholic beverages by 50% over a five year ..."

However,further down the article:-" though nothing is yet official with the move, the news report mentioned."

Edited by sambum
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Less expensive alcohol must be about #433 on the list of reasons to choose a tourist destination.

Yeah its a funny one.... alcohol at really high prices is a true off to tourists aka Singapore  but lower priced alcohol  is not so much of a turn on

2 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

Covid 19 didn't cause these problems.. Thailand government shutting down borders and ordering many places closed was the cause! 

In line with just about every other country in the world!