Thailand Adjusts Excise Taxes on Local Liquor to Boost Tourism

webfact

Just now, Korat Kiwi said:

Didn't notice an increase in Sang Som... still 295 at local Lotussss for the 700 size bottle. 

Mrs bought the small one at 7/11 it went up to 155 from 139 and a bit less in Big C

I would wish, that less tourists come, because foreigner and the inported wines etc. will be discriminated again.

Even thought, they said the tax of wine will be lowered.

Well, foreigners should do same dual pricing with Thais

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, keithkarmann said:

Children in charge.

Alas not. Children have yet to learn corruption. They are the product of the privileged. Empty headed fools who are very good at filling their own pockets.

Edited by dinsdale

39 minutes ago, proton said:

Mrs bought the small one at 7/11 it went up to 155 from 139 and a bit less in Big C

I saw a bottle of Capt Morgan at 7- 11 a few weeks back.  Only 399 but then it looked insipid as heck. 

Decided to give it a miss.  Watered down bitch piss I think. Love to get my hands on some decent dark Rum. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, manta said:

This will not reflect on the sale price, it’ll only go to profit the business owners…

Agree. Save Bt75 a bottle in tax, bring down the price Bt5, hey presto extra Bt70 profit per bottle minus the kickback.

The only alcohol I drink is a dash of Kahlua that I add to a milk shake. I was appalled by the Thai price, but quickly realised there were locally made coffee liqueurs that were crazily cheap, which I think taste just as good. Looks like they might be even cheaper now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

The only alcohol I drink is a dash of Kahlua that I add to a milk shake. I was appalled by the Thai price, but quickly realised there were locally made coffee liqueurs that were crazily cheap, which I think taste just as good. Looks like they might be even cheaper now.

Thai coffee liqueurs. Name? Picture? I would be very interested to give it a go.

29 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Thai coffee liqueurs. Name? Picture? I would be very interested to give it a go.

Actually, taking a closer look at the label, I realise I’ve just told a lie - it says “Product of France”, unlikely as that seems, given the price. Brand is “Chairman’s B52”. Apologies I don’t have the computer skills to post a picture of the label. Don’t remember the exact price, might have been around 500 baht? for 70cl.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Actually, taking a closer look at the label, I realise I’ve just told a lie - it says “Product of France”, unlikely as that seems, given the price. Brand is “Chairman’s B52”. Apologies I don’t have the computer skills to post a picture of the label. Don’t remember the exact price, might have been around 500 baht? for 70cl.

B52 COFFEE LIQUEUR

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Also the label says "Imported" which may be a bit of a giveaway, but imported from where? If it is from France it does seem cheap! I* seem to remember paying about 1700 baht for a full bottle of Kahlua a while ago!

Edited by sambum

Label on mine’s a bit different - it does say “Chairman’s B52”, to give it a bit of exclusivity, and it’s missing the “Imported”, just “‘Product of France” in much smaller text at the bottom. Yes, I think the Kahlua I saw would have been around 1700 baht, one of the few things here more expensive than in Australia (chocolate’s the other one).

1 minute ago, CygnusX1 said:

Label on mine’s a bit different - it does say “Chairman’s B52”, to give it a bit of exclusivity, and it’s missing the “Imported”, just “‘Product of France” in much smaller text at the bottom. Yes, I think the Kahlua I saw would have been around 1700 baht, one of the few things here more expensive than in Australia (chocolate’s the other one).

????? Do you mean more expensive in Australia?

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

????? Do you mean more expensive in Australia?

No, 1700 baht’s roughly $A74, and if that was for a full litre, it’s more expensive than in Australia. Dan Murphy’s has a member’s special 70cl for $35, equals $50 for a litre, normal price $44, equals $63 for a litre.

Anyway, as the B52’s imported, it won’t be benefiting from the tax reduction.

19 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

In my understanding that refers to lao khao, Sang Som, Leo, Chang beer, and such.

They will never lower the duties on their cash cow, the imported wine.

This seems to be normal in Thailand, tax heavily on all imports, yet little tax on people and goods in country.

13 hours ago, dinsdale said:

4 teaspoons of instant coffee dissolved in a little hot water. Add one tin of evaporated milk, one tin of condensed milk and half a bottle of Sangsom. Mix well. Job done, one litre of industrial strength coffee liquer ( like Baileys) Serve ice cold. Try it

• Love It 1

12 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

4 teaspoons of instant coffee dissolved in a little hot water. Add one tin of evaporated milk, one tin of condensed milk and half a bottle of Sangsom. Mix well. Job done, one litre of industrial strength coffee liquer ( like Baileys) Serve ice cold. Try it

Yeh!!!!!!! I'll give that a go. Cheers. 4 teaspoons of coffee and alcohol. Feel good heart palpitations.:burp:

On 2/26/2024 at 5:22 AM, flyingtlger said:

I think that's debatable....

So, they refuse to overturn the 12am to 11am and 2pm to 5 pm ban due to HEALTH reasons but cut tax duty making it cheaper so as to encourage Thais and tourists to drink more...????????.

• Agree 1