Elderly Swiss cyclist killed in hit-and-run in Sattahip district

snoop1130

10 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I just went through the exercise of reflecting on my accidents.  100% were caused by things in front.

I agree with you.....   

.... of all the trucks and cars that have mowed down and taken out cyclists, its 100% because the cyclist was in front of them... 

Edited by richard_smith237

55 minutes ago, transam said:

Sorry, but I think you are making excuses because you ride a bike...🤔

Plus, there is no way you are checking your mirrors all the time, most folk use them when they are going to do something.

In my HGV driving test (53 years back) I had to look in both mirrors every 15 seconds, who does that......🤭

Why would I make excuses? It is something I do. Not sure if it is 15 seconds on the dot but I glance in my mirror very frequently. It is something I do in my car, on my motorbike and on my bicycle when on a tarmac or concrete roads. My wife has even asked me about it, thinking that I checked the rear mirror too frequently. I do not do it when I am on a red earth road riding through a rubber plantation in the middle of nowhere though. If I were cycling in a group and not the one at the back, perhaps I wouldn't do it then either, but I mostly cycle alone.  

Edited by GarryP

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I see far more Thai idiots without lights on motorcycles at night!

Well so would everyone on a motorbike  to bicycle ratio.

2 hours ago, NickyLouie said:

Any chafing ?

Thats rather a strange interest in the specifics of someoene else's sporting wellbeing?

You didn't consider the wellbeing of the Ops joints, muscles, any RSI from cycling, exposure to sun..... etc...  Noooooo....  you wanted to know if his butt-crack and nut-sac haven't caused friction.... 

I suspect the only chaffing suffered by those riding any distances is the insufferable mental chaffing of reading halfwitted comments !!! :giggle:

7 hours ago, n00dle said:

33km is not even an hour and change for a decent cyclist. 

my rides are 50 - 100km 5 days per week.  12k is no stretch if you have the free time.

pretty darn easy to call someone a liar from the sofa 

I agree 100%

I do 30km + but slower - 1.5 - 2 hours. At least 5 days a week.

3 hours ago, atpeace said:

I did myself and think it was OCD.  How many cycling accidents are caused by what is behind vs in front ?  I just went through the exercise of reflecting on my accidents.  100% were caused by things in front.

Shirley, we've seen plenty of threads with video of motorcycle riders hit from behind, either while riding or sitting at a red light.  Also multiple threads with scooter riders mown down by truck-n-trailers taking a left turn too tight, trailer wheels in the emergency lane.

I keep a constant watch behind.  Out here in ruralville, pickups with hay bales sticking out half a meter to each side, flatbeds with oversize earthmoving equipment, scooter/sidecar riders in the emergency lane...............and half of them encroaching on my lane, not paying attention, or reading their facebooks.  Numerous times I've had to move into the gutter, or completely into the ditch, to avoid getting sideswiped. 

Things in front I'm not as concerned about.  I can see those coming with more warning time.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

That's not unusual in the countryside.

I, when I am on an exercise period, get up around 3.30am and just after 4am I am on the local lake doing 5 laps which is equivalent to five miles around.(I measured it)

At that time there are plenty of older, and some younger, people who work the morning markets out exercising.

According to sleep expert on Diary of a CEO youtuber... you will die 15 yrs early getting up at that hour. Akin to shift worker....

12 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

According to sleep expert on Diary of a CEO youtuber... you will die 15 yrs early getting up at that hour. Akin to shift worker....

I'm gonna bet that isn't what was said.

Just because of what statistical and probabilistic conclusions usually state.

Something like "on average, those who rise at 3:00am have an expectation of a decrease in lifespan of 15 years".

So probably nobody said "Scouse123 will die 15 years early".

It is a different thing being said.

12 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Nowt!   Are you saying that you do 30kph CONTINUOUSLY for 3.5 hours?

I wouldn't doubt it at all that he does.  I do.  Now, I might take a break after an hour or so for a few minutes but while I'm on the bike I'm riding usually between 29-33kph with the "sweet spot" at right around 30-31kph.  That's on flat ground with no wind.  

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I recall riding from central Bangkok to Wat Khlong Toey Nok Pier and taking a small boat across to Bang Kachao.... 

I made that ride many times back in the 90's.  A great area to ride.  The Bangkok side not so much.  

6 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Well done then!  Whereabouts do you cycle safely for that long of a distance?  Do youavoid main highways and roads?

Pretty much anywhere out of Pattaya, often towards, Wat Wan, Silverlake, Ban Chang, Sattahip. Main roads are safer than you think. Here's an example last week

Screenshot_2024-02-28-05-49-28-993_com.strava~2.jpg

Screenshot_2024-02-28-05-49-38-879_com.strava~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, cdemundo said:

I'm gonna bet that isn't what was said.

Just because of what statistical and probabilistic conclusions usually state.

Something like "on average, those who rise at 3:00am have an expectation of a decrease in lifespan of 15 years".

So probably nobody said "Scouse123 will die 15 years early".

It is a different thing being said.

Before you speculate, why dont you go to that channel and watch it and then comment. 

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

Before you speculate, why dont you go to that channel and watch it and then comment. 

Don't need to. I'm not speculating.

If you had completed your education, you would know that those are the only kind of statements that can be made based on statistics.

A group of men rising at 3:00 am might have a change in its average life expectancy; the average life expectancy for the selected group might decrease by 15 years. Nothing can be said about individuals in that group as their life expectancies will differ depending on other factors.

One problem with having a conversation here is that there are differing levels of education among members and some are "too smart too learn".

If you google "life expectancy of early risers" you will get a number of articles discussing this subject.

They all tend to indicate that early risers live longer.

That was not my issue, my issue was with interpreting statistics.

"Morning People May Live Longer Than Night Owls"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/12/well/mind/morning-people-may-live-longer-than-night-owls.html

This article discusses some of the health issues involved.

Edited by cdemundo
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2024 at 2:24 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Did the victim not contribute in any way to the accident?  What is it with some of you who immediately blame the hit and run driver for causing the accident?...Jesus, I thought worms were lowlifes.

AS you are a troll, I will not humour you with any other comment, on this story...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/27/2024 at 11:07 AM, quake said:
On 2/27/2024 at 9:41 AM, brianthainess said:

Do you wear any Hi-Vis, and have lights flashing, and a helmet ?? 

Yes, every time I go Soi 6.

Glitter Man?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:
On 2/27/2024 at 1:24 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Did the victim not contribute in any way to the accident?  What is it with some of you who immediately blame the hit and run driver for causing the accident?...Jesus, I thought worms were lowlifes.

AS you are a troll, I will not humour you with any other comment, on this story...

I'm not looking for you to humour me, (why on earth would I expect the impossible?) but a rational response to a genuine question would be interesting.

On 2/27/2024 at 12:44 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Of course i have lights i use when dark, no point day time, in good light if they can't see a big farang they won't see a tiny light

Just talking shop here...

I would suggest reconsidering using a daytime flashing tail and head light. Flashing lights do more than just increase visibility. They communicate your concern for safety, and a flashing light semiologically signals the need for caution. Check out the Cateye Viz450 tail light which has a daytime hyper flash mode that really increases visibility. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvzvlDmEvTM

For night time riding, you have to be careful about overdoing it with the tail lights. My two Cateye Viz450 tail lights are great and I highly recommend them, but I've noticed that if I use the hyper flash or even with both tail lights on regular flash mode sometimes the driver approaching from behind will actually speed up to get past me because the flashing tail lights are visually annoying them. 

I've also been toying with the idea of buying some wearable tail lights to create a night-time skeleton man effect. The idea being to pique the approaching-from-behind driver's visual interest and curiosity so that they slow down to check you out when passing.

The other take away from the second incident mentioned in the article is that it's very important to carry some ID with you when you're out exercising. That's something I've been lax about, but have started doing after reading this article.

Edited by Gecko123

12 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

For night time riding, you have to be careful about overdoing it with the tail lights. My two Cateye Viz450 taillights are great and I highly recommend them , but I've noticed that if I use the hyper flash or even with both on regular flash setting sometimes the driver approaching from behind will actually speed up to get past me because the flashing tail lights are visually annoying them. 

I recommend avoiding night time riding altogether, perhaps the rider that died was out drinking heading home at 11pm

12 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

The other take away from the second incident mentioned in the article is that it's very important to carry some ID with you when you're out exercising. That's something I've been lax about, but have started doing after reading this article.

You need more than ID you need emergency contact details and insurance details, no use if they are in the condo or on the phone

On 2/27/2024 at 12:01 AM, transam said:

Sorry, but I think you are making excuses because you ride a bike...🤔

Plus, there is no way you are checking your mirrors all the time, most folk use them when they are going to do something.

In my HGV driving test (53 years back) I had to look in both mirrors every 15 seconds, who does that......🤭

Riding my 1200cc MC I check mirrors constantly, every 15 sec? probably more often. Driving my cars I'm always checking the mirrors as well. I don't like having the fast moving cars surprise me.

If you're driving without constantly checking mirrors, you're probably dawdling along in the slow lane only, probably on cruise control, whistling away.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Riding my 1200cc MC I check mirrors constantly, every 15 sec? probably more often. Driving my cars I'm always checking the mirrors as well. I don't like having the fast moving cars surprise me.

If you're driving without constantly checking mirrors, you're probably dawdling along in the slow lane only, probably on cruise control, whistling away.

Indeed...........😉

• Haha 1

On 2/29/2024 at 10:38 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm not looking for you to humour me, (why on earth would I expect the impossible?) but a rational response to a genuine question would be interesting.

As Monty python would say "I fart in your general direction" and that's all you deserve, now go report back to your masters. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 8:15 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems many foreigners try to live in a perfect world. Until one day they discover that the real world is far away from perfect.

Most Thai people wouldn't cross a street only because the light for pedestrians is green. They would pay attention even if there is a zebra crossing. Basically, no Thais use bicycles - the exception is the Lycra crowd. 

Many foreigners do all that. And then accidents happen. And then questions come up like: How could that happen?

My personal advice: Don't play the hero and have the sentence "he was right" on your gravestone.

Nonsense, most Thai families have push bikes. The fancy "cycles" these days seem to encourage reckless riding with riders in black clothing and black bikes, and some without working lights. Thai roads are dangerous at any time of day or night.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1