Elderly Swiss cyclist killed in hit-and-run in Sattahip district

snoop1130

9 hours ago, advancebooking said:

you get up at 3am? why

what time do you go to bed each night? do you nap midday?

That's not unusual in the countryside.

I, when I am on an exercise period, get up around 3.30am and just after 4am I am on the local lake doing 5 laps which is equivalent to five miles around.(I measured it)

At that time there are plenty of older, and some younger, people who work the morning markets out exercising.

• Like 2

RIP to the man who has passed away, it's sad to see and hear of people passing in such away whilst enjoying retirement.

People really need to get a grip and understand how dangerous the roads are here and European or Western road rules and sense just does not apply.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teutonian said:

Yes

The bicycle is also in good condition and does not appear to have been hit by a car, all of which pic are false apart from the dead Swiss man.

Where would AseanNow be if it weren't for The Thaiger copying news stories from the Bangkok Post !

Love that we get our Pattaya news from a Phuket based media site that copies it's stories from a Bangkok news site !

Riding bikes at night here is like playing Russian Roulette. Even without the drunk/untrained drivers on their cell phones, you still have crappy, poorly maintained roads with numerous hazards.

It's bad enough in the daylight when you can see what is happening ! I go for my morning walk just before sunrise when it's light enough to see but I can be back before the sun is glaring in my eyes.
And it's light enough I can see any new hazards along the way to go with the old ones that have been there forever. Like rebar sticking up through the concrete. Bent manhole covers almost falling into the drains. Garbage tossed on the side of the road. Construction material (including left over sand and concrete slowly being washed down the roads). Low hanging wires that you hope aren't electrical.

And of course, the drivers who, even at 6 am, are not paying attention to anything but the phone in front of their nose. I always walk "against the traffic" so I can see the motorcycles and cars heading at me or coming from side roads.

So many times I've had to dart off the side of road into a shop "parking" area or behind a power pole to avoid getting scraped by a car/scooter that isn't paying attention or someone coming from a little side-soi that zooms to the main road and starts turning into it before having to stop because there's oncoming traffic. 

At night though ? It's probably way safer to be on a scooter than walking - or biking - on the side of those same roads !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, transam said:

R.I.P. chap..

But riding a black pushbike at night, in town does seem a bit recless at that age, or any age, for that matter.......... 🤔

Depends how many lights he had. I ride my bicycle with 1 light at the front, two at the back and I also wear a yellow fluorescent jacket

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's fine most of the time, i do about 12k km a year

It's always fine until it's not.

It's quite possible for one person to ride, or drive, on Thailand's roads for decades without incident, but that doesn't mean those roads are safe statistically.

It just means you won the lottery on what are proven to be among the most dangerous traffic conditions on the planet. 

The strict rules and at times over policing, in our home countries can be irksome, but Thailand's alternative of virtually nil policing of road rules and drunk driving until after an accident, means you need luck to survive the carnage. 

Riding a bicycle "on Sukhumvit Road, in the Sattahip district of Chon Buri, late on Sunday night" is pushing your luck.

20 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Where would AseanNow be if it weren't for The Thaiger copying news stories from the Bangkok Post !

Love that we get our Pattaya news from a Phuket based media site that copies it's stories from a Bangkok news site !

Riding bikes at night here is like playing Russian Roulette. Even without the drunk/untrained drivers on their cell phones, you still have crappy, poorly maintained roads with numerous hazards.

It's bad enough in the daylight when you can see what is happening ! I go for my morning walk just before sunrise when it's light enough to see but I can be back before the sun is glaring in my eyes.
And it's light enough I can see any new hazards along the way to go with the old ones that have been there forever. Like rebar sticking up through the concrete. Bent manhole covers almost falling into the drains. Garbage tossed on the side of the road. Construction material (including left over sand and concrete slowly being washed down the roads). Low hanging wires that you hope aren't electrical.

And of course, the drivers who, even at 6 am, are not paying attention to anything but the phone in front of their nose. I always walk "against the traffic" so I can see the motorcycles and cars heading at me or coming from side roads.

So many times I've had to dart off the side of road into a shop "parking" area or behind a power pole to avoid getting scraped by a car/scooter that isn't paying attention or someone coming from a little side-soi that zooms to the main road and starts turning into it before having to stop because there's oncoming traffic. 

At night though ? It's probably way safer to be on a scooter than walking - or biking - on the side of those same roads !

Where I live at 23-00, there is virtually no one on the roads at this time

• Agree 1

We do not know if he had bicycle lights and if it would have saved him, yet I see quite a few farang idiots without any around Jomtien at night. 

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The driver of the pickup truck, identified as Samreang Unan, confessed to colliding with the cyclist, later identified as Win Scherrenberg, alleging the cyclist had suddenly changed lanes.

In other words, 'pissed up pick up driver, playing on his phone, ploughs into the back of the cyclist.'

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

You're making a weird faces when I'm asking if the photo was generated by AI. But Look at:

1. text at sign, what language is even that?

2. symbol at sign, what road sign is that?

3. what's with people faces

4. what with their siluet?

I don't think were are looking here at real photo of the accident scene.

2024-02-26_21-32.png.c6c7aaad69dce7e46d15a4e9e14706a9.png

Also did it rain last night?

2 minutes ago, actonion said:

Riding a bicycle at any time of day or night is a deathwish in Thailand

So is driving a car/motorcycle intoxicated and getting a motorbike taxi home

Edited by Expat68
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Ah, yes  blame the victim, without having been there, the bike was well lit  as per the photo... just what is it, that makes some of you so low, as to blame the victim... geez, and I though worms were lowlife.

With respect to the victim. Riding a bike at night on a very busy road during the rain here is suicide. Heck, it's dangerous at any time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1