Elderly Swiss cyclist killed in hit-and-run in Sattahip district

snoop1130

59 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I used to cycle to work abroad and in Thailand. Not much difference. Defensive riding is essential, with fluorescent arm bands at night. Thais won't hit someone on purpose but they have to see you first. 

Do they................:whistling:

"She drove home first, out of fear and shock, and then called the police and offered to surrender the next morning."

Grrrr.  Never mind about the poor fella she mowed down and his significantly worse fear and shock who never even made it home, just worry about yourself.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

It's always fine until it's not.

It's quite possible for one person to ride, or drive, on Thailand's roads for decades without incident, but that doesn't mean those roads are safe statistically.

It just means you won the lottery on what are proven to be among the most dangerous traffic conditions on the planet. 

The strict rules and at times over policing, in our home countries can be irksome, but Thailand's alternative of virtually nil policing of road rules and drunk driving until after an accident, means you need luck to survive the carnage. 

Riding a bicycle "on Sukhumvit Road, in the Sattahip district of Chon Buri, late on Sunday night" is pushing your luck.

walking feels more dangerous 

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Around 3.5 x 30kph

what exercise do you do?

Nowt!   Are you saying that you do 30kph CONTINUOUSLY for 3.5 hours?

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Do you wear any Hi-Vis, and have lights flashing, and a helmet ?? 

Of course a helmet, not high vis, defensive riding so position yourself so you are seen plus more importantly ride in a group, hard not to see 6-20 riders

• Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Of course a helmet, not high vis, defensive riding so position yourself so you are seen plus more importantly ride in a group, hard not to see 6-20 riders

Depends on how many pints a pick-up drivers had, has he ever had his eyes tested, has the obligatory black film on the screen, these are actual facts a cyclist must take onboard here in LOS.

P.S. You do not see many Thai blokes wearing glasses, another fact...........:whistling:

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Depends on how many pints a pick-up drivers had, has he ever had his eyes tested, has the obligatory black film on the screen, these are actual facts a cyclist must take onboard here in LOS.

P.S. You do not see many Thai blokes wearing glasses, another fact...........:whistling:

i know the risks, we are all looking out for dangerous drivers, like i say i find walking more dangerous, no protection at all

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i know the risks, we are all looking out for dangerous drivers, like i say i find walking more dangerous, no protection at all

Dangerous drivers 'behind' you are rarely spotted, especially on a bicycle......😋

• Like 1

14 hours ago, neverere said:

No Thai's use bicycles? Are you sure about that. I see many daily, not a stitch of Lycra to be seen.

I agree. There are about 50 bicycles parked outside the Huai Khwang MRT station every day. There is a special security area for them near the station entrance.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

You average 33km every day?

I don't believe you. 

12,000 KM is nothing.  When touring, I cycle 100-150 KM/day at 20-25 kmh.  My longest tour lasted one year, 4 bags and trailer, included the entire perimeter of Australia (excluding NT).  Add in rides to Alice Springs and Tasmania, that's over 40,000 KM.

33 KM on an unladen road bike takes about an hour, an easy daily training ride.

Edit:  Misteakenly used the coastline of WESTERN Australia as the perimeter of Australia.  60k, not 20K.  Oops!

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

So no flashing lights, or high vis. I often see groups cycling up and down on KC hills, with many blind bends, which makes them visible but sometimes 1 or 2 have no flashing rear light, wobbling around trying to make the steep inclines, very dangerous indeed. 

The light are so cheap to buy and recharge via phone charger. 70b from Lazada for both.

OnTrack-Combo-of-Rechargeable-LED-Cycle-Light-and-Cycle-Tail-Light-Cycle-Light-LED-for-Bicycle-Pack-of-2-Lights-1.thumb.jpg.afda8987a322bf9e2067a20d6de61928.jpg

Whoever rides a bicycle in urban areas in Thailand is playing Russian roulette. Day or night (which is even worse). I do not even touch my car at night. Of course this does not excuse any reckless driving of locals. But it seems to be the norm. The bigger and heavier the vehicle is, the more rights they claim. Lack of education and training and disrespect of others. RIP, old man. Pity you very much. Hope the killer driver gets caught and brought to justice.

Edited by MikeUdon

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So no flashing lights, or high vis. I often see groups cycling up and down on KC hills, with many blind bends, which makes them visible but sometimes 1 or 2 have no flashing rear light, wobbling around trying to make the steep inclines, very dangerous indeed. 

The light are so cheap to buy and recharge via phone charger. 70b from Lazada for both.

OnTrack-Combo-of-Rechargeable-LED-Cycle-Light-and-Cycle-Tail-Light-Cycle-Light-LED-for-Bicycle-Pack-of-2-Lights-1.thumb.jpg.afda8987a322bf9e2067a20d6de61928.jpg

Of course i have lights i use when dark, no point day time, in good light if they can't see a big farang they won't see a tiny light

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Of course i have lights i use when dark, no point day time, in good light if they can't see a big farang they won't see a tiny light

Your life, if you want to risk it, little effort needed to turn them on and last for days. those lights when flashing are very visible, and there is a very good point in using them in the day, you are a moving. guess no mirror either.

2 hours ago, NickyLouie said:

No those lycra idiots are racing against their strava app trying to better their last time, head down expecting all to move out the way.

In the meantime I also see these lycra guys every early morning in our village in the countryside here in Udon Thani. I guess that all of them are government officials who follow the example of you-know-who. Will see if they wear yellow lycra suits on Mondays now 🙂 

5 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

First you say 12,000k a year, now you say you do 20,000km. 

50,000km next? 

As explained earlier....  For someone who is into cycling, these are not extreme distances. 

Theses only seem extreme distances to fat slobs who sit at beer bars all day long.

I've never cycled that much in one go, the max I've done is when I went through a phase of doing two laps of the Sky-Lane 4x per week (which is specifically 9776 kms - but likely less as there were days I missed - so from a personal perspective 6-7000 kms as someone who's not that into it, is very very doable).

I know plenty of folk who do and these distances and much more.

I would cover about 20-30 kms a week just through playing football - the distances covered with cycling are just far far more vast. 

When I was younger and competitively swimming - I would cover about 900 km a year in training.

Thus: I'd suggest anyone levying the accusation of 'Liar' post a photo of themselves - and we'll see exactly why such distances would seem impossible to them... 

33 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Your life, if you want to risk it, little effort needed to turn them on and last for days. those lights when flashing are very visible, and there is a very good point in using them in the day, you are a moving. guess no mirror either.

You have lots of experience cycling in Pattaya area? how much do you do?

The reason i ask is on this forum people like giving advice with no or little experience, i notice it mostly with cycling and motorbike threads or even nutrition threads, fat people giving advice 555

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

just what is it, that makes some of you so low, as to blame the victim... geez, and I though worms were lowlife.

Did the victim not contribute in any way to the accident?  What is it with some of you who immediately blame the hit and run driver for causing the accident?...Jesus, I thought worms were lowlifes.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

33km is not even an hour and change for a decent cyclist. 

my rides are 50 - 100km 5 days per week.  12k is no stretch if you have the free time.

pretty darn easy to call someone a liar from the sofa 

33 km every day is pretty normal, I used to do about 20 km, I average about 20 km per hour