Elderly Swiss cyclist killed in hit-and-run in Sattahip district

snoop1130

11 hours ago, advancebooking said:

you get up at 3am? why

what time do you go to bed each night? do you nap midday?

I get up at 3am, but time for bed about 4pm.

Me a night owl  hoot hoot. 🙂

11 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

You're making a weird faces when I'm asking if the photo was generated by AI. But Look at:

1. text at sign, what language is even that?

2. symbol at sign, what road sign is that?

3. what's with people faces

4. what with their siluet?

I don't think were are looking here at real photo of the accident scene.

2024-02-26_21-32.png.c6c7aaad69dce7e46d15a4e9e14706a9.png

Very strange image indeed I'm living on Sukhumvit road Najomtien and I don't see where this road could look like the image..... Anyway not a reason to flee the scene of an accident regardless who is responsible.  RIP to the victim

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Everyone here has those blacked out windscreens which make it virtually impossible to see cyclists and pedestrians at night. I refuse to drive my daughter's car after dark for precisely this reason and no matter what lectures I give her to get it changed, she refuses. Even during the day I feel like my vision's impaired, it feels like driving at dusk. 

I agree they are crazy. I rented a car once and driving i night i had to open all the windows to see where i was going. Imagine driving at night with 80% tint after going to the pub !!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

Ah, yes  blame the victim, without having been there, the bike was well lit  as per the photo... just what is it, that makes some of you so low, as to blame the victim... geez, and I though worms were lowlife.

I am not blaming the victim, I wrote MY point of view from being older than the cyclist.  😉

As for the worms, there is an Aussy connection with those, which you may not know about....😂

1 hour ago, Expat68 said:

Depends how many lights he had. I ride my bicycle with 1 light at the front, two at the back and I also wear a yellow fluorescent jacket

In your home country that may be OK, but here, on Thai roads............😵

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

riding a black pushbike at night in rainy conditions on a main rd in Pattaya ..... 

what could possibly go wrong     !   ....    :whistling:

Surely, if someone is driving up from the rear, as appears to be the case here, the color of the bike wouldn't play much of a role (you'd only see the rear wheel, seat stay and seat post). What would normally help would be having rear lights, although it did not appear to help in this case, if the latest image is the actual bike.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

Surely, if someone is driving up from the rear, as appears to be the case here, the color of the bike wouldn't play much of a role (you'd only see the rear wheel, seat stay and seat post). What would normally help would be having rear lights, although it did not appear to help in this case, if the latest image is the actual bike.

it wouldn't matter how bright the rear lights were ..... I'd never ride a bike here, and at night '  ....  10 x worse ..

it's just to dangerous ....   and in the rain '     crickey   !

39 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Speeding, unable to see, leaving the scene.  That'll be B500 fine and try to remember to pay a visit to Specsavers.

FEMALE DRIVER SURRENDERS AFTER FATALLY CRASHING INTO SWISS MAN

CHONBURI – According to police officers at the Na Jomtien Police Station in Chonburi Province, the driver of the car that struck the 73-year-old Swiss tourist’s bicycle has now surrendered.

On February 26, Mrs. Saranya, 49, of Huai Yai Subdistrict, Bang Lamung District, Chonburi Province, travelled to Na Jomtien to report to the police. She admitted that she had hit a foreigner’s bicycle.

She drove the car involved in the accident so that police officials could investigate it. It was a red Mazda, and the front window on the driver’s side was scratched by broken glass.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2024/02/26/female-driver-surrenders-after-fatally-crashing-into-swiss-man/?fbclid=IwAR1HaT6-V1FDNrov4HBtHIGQnA1w3OXDLx9iQd0xqUPvKReMCPmFgrkRz2A

crash-swiss1.jpeg

Swiss

So according to her he was riding in the right lane. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

it wouldn't matter how bright the rear lights were ..... I'd never ride a bike here, and at night '  ....  10 x worse ..

it's just to dangerous ....   and in the rain '     crickey   !

I try to avoid riding at night. When I go out on my long rides, I always try to get home by 6 p.m. at the latest.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems many foreigners try to live in a perfect world. Until one day they discover that the real world is far away from perfect.

Most Thai people wouldn't cross a street only because the light for pedestrians is green. They would pay attention even if there is a zebra crossing. Basically, no Thais use bicycles - the exception is the Lycra crowd. 

Many foreigners do all that. And then accidents happen. And then questions come up like: How could that happen?

My personal advice: Don't play the hero and have the sentence "he was right" on your gravestone.

100%.   It amazes me to see old expats riding their bikes in Thailand.  It is stupid that they ride their bikes in the west - grow up you fools - but to do it in Thailand just beggars belief.  As the wife says - 'up to him - his life'. 

If anyone dislikes my comments about their 'right to ride BS' then that is OK, but go stay in any western hospital for several weeks and you will see what happens when (not if) old men fall off (get knocked off) their bike -  they dont bounce like when they were kids (fools and idiots born every minute).  You only have to look at the youtube channels showing so many fat adult people doing stupid things that they did as kids - but it goes very wrong and is hilarious (or sad).  The kids in Thailand do not ride bikes as much as in west - and the adults do not (besides lycra fools) - they know.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GarryP said:

It appears she must have side swiped him as he was riding in the right right lane. Going by the statement the woman driver gave.

crash-swiss1.jpeg.f4aa0d12871f69f8e0d912c3914756ff.jpeg

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Fled the scene so should be bang to rights. 

Fortunately, witnesses saw the driver speeding and hitting the cyclist, negating his false testimony of events. 

Different cases

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

The 'Lycra crowd' as you call them, The ones I see, have lights day and night, wear hi-vis, and wear helmets. 

Did this guy have any lights, any Hi-Vis clothes or wear a helmet? 

I'm not Condoning the Drivers actions or trying to victim blame but, "Wear something Bright at night".

No those lycra idiots are racing against their strava app trying to better their last time, head down expecting all to move out the way.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

You average 33km every day?

I don't believe you. 

33km is not even an hour and change for a decent cyclist. 

my rides are 50 - 100km 5 days per week.  12k is no stretch if you have the free time.

pretty darn easy to call someone a liar from the sofa 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, NickyLouie said:

No those lycra idiots are racing against their strava app trying to better their last time, head down expecting all to move out the way.

and they are riding at night on sukhumvit road?

Edited by n00dle