I hear that in the U.K. re pensions claw backs.

There was an article mentioned in many places recently, perhaps even on here too, that focussed on the point in a bill currently going through Parliament which gives the government the right to snoop on bank accounts as described in the OP.

I'll have a look for it but if you can use Google you should be able to find it for yourself.

6 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

A DWP spokesman said: “This is not a surveillance power, and it does not allow DWP to access bank accounts or see how claimants or pensioners are spending their money.

“Despite State Pension overpayments due to fraud currently sitting at 0.0 per cent, it is important to ensure that if fraud and error does arise in the future we have the tools to address it.”

Well thank 4..k for that.

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

That new law, which has been passed, is to do with the Tax man (not DWP) and undeclared side income above 1,000 Pounds and nothing to do with passports etc!

Read the Telegraph article above, they specifically mention overpayments for frozen pensions.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Border Force passport control, of course they know that you have left the UK and for how long.

DWP know your pension payments history it is very easy to tie that to a Border Force file and identify suspicious payments and do a run to produce a file of potential suspects. You then get a letter to your UK address saying you have been potentially identified as receiving overpayments. You have 28 days to explain your situation and sign a statement under threat of prosecution. If they don't accept your reasons, or you don't reply, then they automatically stop the uplift as a minimum. If they are feeling vindictive they can do historical analysis and demand overpayment back possibly by withholding future payments.

I used to do batch processing data runs on big computer systems  - this is a relatively easy small project to execute with a very high return on investment. To poo poo this is either naivety or wishful thinking.

If so then why does it never seem to take place, the only people nabbed from what I have seen is when people report cases, not when this tech whizz you describe nets people. If this were the case thousands would be getting letters.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, proton said:

If so then why does it never seem to take place, the only people nabbed from what I have seen is when people report cases, not when this tech whizz you describe nets people. If this were the case thousands would be getting letters.

Because it is being worked on and hasn't been implemented yet. But it will be because it is a very simple and cheap project to execute against a constituency that has no representation back home in any meaningful sense. The issue as to where it is fair or just is a completely different argument.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

UK state pension is not "sanctionable" was only reading an extensive article over this the other day

Inotherwards overpaid monies (on any benefit) cannot be recovered via ongoing state pension payments

I also have heard that several times. But I have also heard that payments can be suspended, until fines are fully paid, in fact, one of the links posted earlier says the same thing.. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

More of the usual BS,

They didn't record past exits/entries .... So knowing if you left may happen today, but it didn't happen yesterday.

They also don't know where you went, so again even if they know you left, they don't know if you're entitled to the uplift or not.

There have never been any prosecutions of anyone getting pension uplifts while living in a no uplift country. You are not required to sign any documents from DWP except to state you're still alive once you pension has started.

Finally, their own published rules state they are not allowed to reduce or stop pension payments unless they think you are dead.

Ok you get the letter, and then you are required to submit proof that you are living in the country entitled to the uplift. Bank statements, residency permits or whatever. Failure to do so within a time frame is taken to be indicative that you are in a country where frozen pensions apply. That said, it looks like it will take quite a time to implement.

https://www.joe.co.uk/news/government-confirms-dates-it-will-start-monitoring-bank-accounts-423419

It means the country’s top 15 banks, who deal with the vast majority of DWP payments, are going to implement systems that automatically track claimants’ accounts to see if there has been any change of circumstance, such as large cash deposits.

The DWP has confirmed that they will begin testing the system from 2025, with a wider roll-out from 2027, and the aim of full implementation by 2031.

“The policy has been designed in collaboration with operational colleagues, whereby a period of ‘test and learn’ will begin in 2025 with a limited number of banks and building societies,” the DWP said.

“The purpose of this approach is to get the data sharing agreement between DWP and third-party data holders right, before implementing the policy on a larger scale. After the focused test and learn, the policy will begin gradual roll-out (from 2027/28), with it reaching full scale by 2030/31.”

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chivas said:

UK state pension is not "sanctionable" was only reading an extensive article over this the other day

Inotherwards overpaid monies (on any benefit) cannot be recovered via ongoing state pension payments

With my chum, they worked out when he left the country, his pension went down to that date, then they pursued the over payment, his Mrs. told me it was 5000 quid.....:saai:

• Haha 2

Just now, BritManToo said:

Government workers are the laziest and most inefficient people in the world, even if they could do what you suggested, it's too much effort for them to bother.

😂....I can't believe you wrote that......................😂

• Confused 1