I hear that in the U.K. re pensions claw backs.

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

PS;  Did you sue?

No I didn't - the investigation was triggered, I believe, by several large cash payments into my private account whilst I held business accounts.  I believe they suspected I was trying to hide what they thought were actually business transactions in my private account.  I wasn't, the transactions were legitimate and not taxable. As a result of the investigation I actually received a tax refund 😀.

8 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Of course they can gain legal access to a private banks account but ONLY after an individual  legal review if a private account!

As you said "having been subject to a tax investigation a few years back, I know that HMRC can look into your bank account

They must have had due cause!

IF NOT SUE THEM!

PS;  Did you sue?

As I posted a short while ago, it seems that HMRC can authorise investigations themselves.

The Youtube news article is incorrect  - residents of some countries (e.g. Switzerland) get the increase as per UK residents.

So how is passport control going to track that, considering the  last time I went to tUK I used the Chunnel and drove back across Europe to my destination, untrackable.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

However, let's say you are correct and a court order is required, how many times do you think a court would actually refuse access?  Its a given that however they choose to do it, your details will be revealed. 

My bank account shows no foreign transfers or payments, as I didn't want the police tracing me.

I don't want my UK bank to cancel my account either.

7 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

As I posted a short while ago, it seems that HMRC can authorise investigations themselves.

That is against the law. 

They must get a court order! 

I admit it is very easy but it MUST be on a case by case basis with some foundation!

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My bank account shows no foreign transfers or payments, as I didn't want the police tracing me.

I don't want my UK bank to cancel my account either.

Whether you make transfers or not, if you claim to be resident of the UK and they suspect you are abroad, they can request details of your Thai bank account through AEOI.  Your Thai bank should have advised HMRC that you hold a Thai account. Whether that only applies to accounts opened after Thailand joined the AEOI system or to all expat accounts, I know not.

Why would making foreign transfers cause your UK bank cancel your account?  I send transfers to my Kasikorn account through Wise every month to cover household running costs etc. and I've never had a problem with my UK accounts.  I suppose if the only transactions going through your UK bank are outbound to a foreign account, your UK bank may suspect that you are in fact living abroad.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

That is against the law. 

They must get a court order! 

I admit it is very easy but it MUST be on a case by case basis with some foundation!

The link I posted clearly stated that accounts can be accessed by an 'authorised HMRC officer'.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You are not required to sign any documents from DWP except to state you're still alive once you pension has started.

I'm pretty sure that pensioners are required to advise the DWP of any change in their personal circumstances that could affect their eligibility.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

The link I posted clearly stated that accounts can be accessed by an 'authorised HMRC officer'.

Only by court order!

That is the present law!

Please remember you are  getting stuck up with a draft bill, last discussed in December 2023 which in it's present form has no chance of getting thru the House of lords and has little or no chance of getting thru all it's stages before the General Election!

As I have said before "cool down" it ain't going to happen this year!

Edited by scottiejohn

4 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Only by court order!

That is the present law!

Please remember you are  getting stuck up with a draft bill, last discussed in December 1923 which in it's present form has no chance of getting thru the House of lords and has little or no chance of getting thru all it's stages before the General Election!

Well, if they last discussed it 100+ years ago ... it isn't going anywhere, in the coming decades.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm pretty sure that pensioners are required to advise the DWP of any change in their personal circumstances that could affect their eligibility.

You are correct!

I am not making any comment on the legality, or otherwise, regarding claiming pensions whilst in Thailand!

I am contesting some very strange views about the ability and legality of the UK authorities accessing and linking a private person's BANK/passport and pension details/accounts!

i.e. the LEGAL link between DWP/HMRC and a persons private bank account!

The proposed new law is I believe irrelevant as it is unlikely to happen before the forthcoming General Election!

37 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Whether that only applies to accounts opened after Thailand joined the AEOI system or to all expat accounts, I know not.

Thailand did not sign up until 9/12/22 so there can be no retrospective info passed to outside governments before that date!

How they handle that info now is not in my current sphere of expertise.

(it used to be b4 I retired)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perfectly legal for expat UK pensions to be claimed in Thailand.

Exactly.  Please read my post again!

where I said;

"I am not making any comment on the legality, or otherwise, regarding claiming pensions whilst in Thailand!"

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Only by court order!

That is the present law!

Please remember you are  getting stuck up with a draft bill, last discussed in December 2023 which in it's present form has no chance of getting thru the House of lords and has little or no chance of getting thru all it's stages before the General Election!

Have you read the link I provided? The ability for an 'authorised officer' of HMRC to issue a third party notice to a bank or other financial institution is already in place and nothing to do with the DWP matter currently going through parliament.  That bill however, will enhance the overall ability of both authorities to look into your bank accounts. 

If the HMRC noticed a potential issue over what look like pension payments going into a foreign account or amounts corresponding with payments in the UK, are you suggesting that they would not pass that information on to the DWP?

Signatory's to AEOI are already required to firstly supply details of a foreigner opening a bank account and if subsequently requested, supply further details regarding that account. No court order required to the best of my knowledge.

The third party notices and AEOI rules are extant and the bill going through parliament will simply serve to complete the circle.

Edited by MangoKorat

The DWP have repeated reported that only Universal Credit, Sickness/disability benefits, pension credits will be investigated, no matter if it spreads to  State pension, nothing will be done.

If I was DWP think Id send proof of life to every recipient even in UK,but the uplift letter every year does that in part.

Its 6 years that DWP has right to clawback, after that its written off

37 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Seems the timescale to fully bring in the proposed new rules will take 6 or 7 years to be introduced.

And the chances of being passed by this government are zero IMO!

Hint! a general election!

54 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

The ability for an 'authorised officer' of HMRC to issue a third party notice to a bank or other financial institution is already in place

Please provide a link to the statute which states that what you say is actually in law WITHOUT A COURT ORDER!

In the case of personal individual/joint accounts the UK at this time!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

Please provide a link to the statute which states that what you say is actually in law in the UK at this time!

My goodness, you are a laugh a minute aren't you?  Chill pill man (or woman, or whatever) .