A closer look at Wise and Revolut's key features, and where they excel

I only stay in any one country for a few months at a time (visa permitting) and have had a Revolut account for years. Until recently they applied a mark up on THB as an illiquid currency. That does not seem to be the case now. As a Brit I convert GBP to THB in the app at very close to the spot rate and send it to my Bangkok Bank account. Think I paid 30B or so for the last tranfer.

Cash withdrawals in other countries is also free (up to a certain monthly limit) at the same exchange rate. Local bank fees obviously may apply.

Over the years I have had my card skimmed twice. Fraudulent purchases were refunded quickly and a new card sent to my hotel (Vietnam and Indonesia) within 5 days.

Many friends use Wise and I will open an account and get a card as back up when I go home in the summer

• Thanks 1

So if I spend say 3 months in Thailand from Australia how I can I use and benefit from Revolut. Can I put money in it and then use it to pay for things in Thailand in thai baht I assume. Is the advantage that the transfer rate is better - I have an Australian card with no fees for foreign transactions and the Mastercard transfer rate which is good so not sure why I would use this. Can I access cash at ATM's. Don't need help with savings plans or travel insurance etc. Free credit card travel insurance for three month trips. Not sure how I would use it. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

Had a good experience with Wise sending to Thailand.  I have a Wise Hello World debit card and they note you can take funds out by ATM with low fees or no fees if less than $700 per month in 2 transactions from Australia  - has someone had experience if the Thai ATM's  charge a large fee. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

This thread doesn't seem to mention anywhere that opening a Revolut account needs an address outside Thailand as Thailand is not listed under the eligible countries during sign up process as it does for Wise?  I am not sure how important the overseas address is - do they mail stuff there? Is it needed to get a Revolut card or do they mail to Thailand?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

You say one of WISE's strengths is fast speeds, often within a few days. I think that should be, often within a few seconds.

Thanks for highlighting that Wise strength (will add it in the OP). Does anyone know if Revolut is that fast as well.

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

You say one of WISE's strengths is fast speeds, often within a few days. I think that should be, often within a few seconds.

The only time that is not the case with Wise (it does arrive very quickly) is if you send it on a Friday afternoon.  I found that out when they advised the transfer would complete on Monday. I decided rates might go down over the weekend (had been going up) so I held it as it was (could have cancelled the transfer). Money arrived Monday morning at the rate committed to on Friday, and the exchange rate had gone down over the weekend (a rare win). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

The only time that is not the case with Wise (it does arrive very quickly) is if you send it on a Friday afternoon.  I found that out when they advised the transfer would complete on Monday. I decided rates might go down over the weekend (had been going up) so I held it as it was (could have cancelled the transfer). Money arrived Monday morning at the rate committed to on Friday, and the exchange rate had gone down over the weekend (a rare win). 

Correct! Revolut does the same.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

The only time that is not the case with Wise (it does arrive very quickly) is if you send it on a Friday afternoon.

Hmm...I sent some AUD to my Thai bank account last night, still waiting for the funds.

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

Wise usually takes a few days for me. I rarely have a transfer get to Thailand on the same day. It depends where you transfer from, the time of the transfer, and the amount.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Then I would suggest it is probabley your Thai bank slowing things down. Which one?

That's beside the point. Fact is that delays happen at any time for any number of reasons other than the simplistic one you mentioned before.

8 minutes ago, Unify said:

Wise usually takes a few days for me. I rarely have a transfer get to Thailand on the same day. It depends where you transfer from, the time of the transfer, and the amount.

And it depends on the Reason for the transfer. Usually it is immediate, within an hour, but if you need the transfer to show as from a Foreign bank for Immigration purposes, the with Wise, click the appropriate reason and it should arrive at 14.02 the following day, if a Bangkok bank, shows as FTT.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Unify said:

As well as the method you use to transfer the money to Wise.

If you use the cheapest option, which is transfer from your bank account. it depends on your local bank.

I know my local bank takes up to 48 hours, and longer during weekends, to execute a money transfer

Edited by BenStark
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

That's beside the point. Fact is that delays happen at any time for any number of reasons other than the simplistic one you mentioned before.

That is exactly the point.  Every single tranfer I have done for years using Wise to the Bangkok Bank has happened within an hour or two - often within a few minutes.  What Thai bank matters. 

5 minutes ago, BenStark said:

As well as the method you use to transfer the money to Wise.

If you use the cheapest option, which is transfer from your bank account. it depends on your local bank.

I know my local bank takes up to 48 hours, and longer during weekends, to execute a money transfer

Seems you are maybe talking about something that is different to the Wise bank/exchange service in Australia, and perhaps others are also talking about something different.

In Australia Wise has a banking licence - they are a bank in Aust. I transfer money to my Wise account when the rates are good and I am ready to transfer it to Thailand - that is instantaneous in Australia. Then if/when I am happy with the THB rates I transfer whatever amount in the Wise account to the BKK bank account. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Seems you are maybe talking about something that is different to the Wise bank/exchange service in Australia, and perhaps others are also talking about something different.

In Australia Wise has a banking licence - they are a bank in Aust. I transfer money to my Wise account when the rates are good and I am ready to transfer it to Thailand - that is instantaneous in Australia. Then if/when I am happy with the THB rates I transfer whatever amount in the Wise account to the BKK bank account. 

I was talking about the time it takes to get your money from your personal account to the Wise account.

Wise has a license in every country it operates, as it does in my home country.

If I select bank transfer, it takes 48 hours, and longer in the weekends, for the money from my bank to reach the Wise account in my homecountry.

After that it may taken another 24 hours to reach my account in Thailand.

If I select credit or debit card transfer, the whole process takes less than a minute

• Sad 1

If you have a Wise account, like me, it is a good one.

Amounts to send below ±€1000,- arrive in a few seconds/ minutes.

Above this amount can indeed take a few days.

As far as I know it's because they are checking for money laundering.

One issue I have: I had a debtcard and a virtual debt card. They are both blocked because someone tried to take advantage of my cards. Without success.

Because of this matter I have a new problem:

They blocked both cards, but because I left my home country and having not any longer an address, only in Thailand, Wise doesn't send me a new card or not even a virtual card.

Also bec. of living in Thailand I cannot use Revolut!!

Other options?  i have no idea

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I was talking about the time it takes to get your money from your personal account to the Wise account.

Wise has a license in every country it operates, as it does in my home country.

If I select bank transfer, it takes 48 hours, and longer in the weekends, for the money from my bank to reach the Wise account in my homecountry.

After that it may taken another 24 hours to reach my account in Thailand.

If I select credit or debit card transfer, the whole process takes less than a minute

Can you transfer money in your bank account into your Wise account and leave it there for days/weeks - and how long does that take.  In Australia I can and it is very quick - every time - rules of banking in Australia.

What happens to you does not mean it always happens to others, or what others are saying is wrong. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Same here from UK bank debit card to wise to BKK is over in minutes using the general monthly living expenses!

Some times all three alerts from my UK bank telling me card has been used, wise telling me that money money has been sent and BKK telling me money has arrived are all sounding off at the same time.  

I can only remember one occasion and the last few years when it has taken longer than 10 minutes to arrive!

PS;  I am talking about transfers of less than 1,000 GBPs

Edited by scottiejohn
PS; added
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Powder said:

If you have a Wise account, like me, it is a good one.

Amounts to send below ±€1000,- arrive in a few seconds/ minutes.

Above this amount can indeed take a few days.

As far as I know it's because they are checking for money laundering.

One issue I have: I had a debtcard and a virtual debt card. They are both blocked because someone tried to take advantage of my cards. Without success.

Because of this matter I have a new problem:

They blocked both cards, but because I left my home country and having not any longer an address, only in Thailand, Wise doesn't send me a new card or not even a virtual card.

Also bec. of living in Thailand I cannot use Revolut!!

Other options?  i have no idea

Relative or Friend back home?  Use their address?

1 minute ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Can you transfer money in your bank account into your Wise account and leave it there for days/weeks - and how long does that take.  In Australia I can and it is very quick - every time - rules of banking in Australia.

What happens to you does not mean it always happens to others, or what others are saying is wrong. 

Which part of, the time it takes to transfer your money from your bank to your Wise account depends on your local bank, is it that you don't understand?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1