A closer look at Wise and Revolut's key features, and where they excel

3 minutes ago, george said:

@SherylI topped up my Revolut account with a foreign VISA debit card, no problems, it was instant. I deposited a small amount to cover the DHL delivery fee to Thailand.

Are you saying it doesn't work to top up Revolut with a Thai debit card?

Correct. Would not accept my Kasikorn Bank debit card nor my (Cambodian) ABA debit card. Kasikorn card got error message "Card not supported" as soon as I entered the number, before even submitting it. ABA card got error message that cards from Cambodian banks  not accepted. 

My US debit card has unfortunately expired and new one not yet arrived so can't try with that. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Correct. Would not accept my Kasikorn Bank debit card nor my (Cambodian) ABA debit card. Kasikorn card got error message "Card not supported" as soon as I entered the number, before even submitting it. ABA card got error message that cards from Cambodian banks  not accepted. 

My US debit card has unfortunately expired and new one not yet arrived so can't try with that. 

I have no problem with a Kasikorn debit card. That's the only method I currently have to "Add Money" to my Revolut account and it worked yesterday. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw

11 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I have no problem with a Kasikorn debit card. That's the only method I currently have to "Add Money" to my Revolut account and it worked yesterday. 

I just topped up with a Kasikorn debit card. Instant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, george said:

I just topped up with a Kasikorn debit card. Instant.

Yes, always been instant for me since I added the card. The only difference I can notice between my account and Sheryl's is that I used a UK address with the Thai phone number. 

8 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Yes, always been instant for me since I added the card. The only difference I can notice between my account and Sheryl's is that I used a UK address with the Thai phone number. 

I used a US address with Thai phone number.

I do not think it has anything to with details of my account as the error message comes in the split second I enter the card number.  In fact before I even finish entering the number. The error message ("Sorry, this card isn't supported") kicks in when I get to the third sequence of 4 numbers.

It is a newly issued debit card.

I top up my Wise physical debit card in seconds using a UK bank debit card.  Most times I do NOT need 2FA as I do it regularly with the same card!

PS;  If 2FA response is required I have a UK SIM card in slot two of my phone and a Thai card in slot one for local!

PPs;  I find it cheaper to use the wise debit card than it is to use a UK Credit card as their is no Overseas or exchange rate fee!

Edited by scottiejohn
PS added.

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I used a US address with Thai phone number.

I do not think it has anything to with details of my account as the error message comes in the split second I enter the card number.  In fact before I even finish entering the number. The error message ("Sorry, this card isn't supported") kicks in when I get to the third sequence of 4 numbers.

It is a newly issued debit card.

Are you using a physical Kbank card?  (Kbank virtual card doesn't work).

Have you opened the new Kbank card for internet purchases?

If you use VPN you should disconnect it when using Revolut.

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

I top up my Wise physical debit card in seconds using a UK bank debit card.  Most times I do NOT need 2FA as I do it regularly with the same card!

My problem is with a Revolut card using a Thai bank debit card.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, george said:

Are you using a physical Kbank card?  (Kbank virtual card doesn't work).

If you use VPN you should disconnect it when using Revolut.

Physical card.

No VPN.

Revolut has some sort of issue with the debit card number, after entering the first 6-7 digits I get error message that the card is not supported.

No luck using Google Pay either (which seems to be Revolut's preferred method). Set up Google Pay solely for this purpose, get error message that there is "no acceptable payment method"  on my Google Pay account. But the account shows my visa card there and verified and bank says all is well.

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Physical card.

No VPN.

Revolut has some sort of issue with the debit card number, after entering the first 6-7 digits I get error message that the card is not supported.

Do you maybe have to activate the card before first use maybe online or at an ATM etc?

OOPS! our post just crossed each other!

Edited by scottiejohn

28 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Do you maybe have to activate the card before first use maybe online or at an ATM etc?

OOPS! our post just crossed each other!

The card is activated and I use it regularly, several times a week.  Definitely not an activation problem.

As mentioned the error message comes up before the full card number is even entered.

• Thanks 1

I think that Revolut thinks (wrongly)  it is a cedit card and not a debit card based on the number and makes that decision before the number is fully entered.

Revolut help & support are worse than useless o nthe matter.

Meanwhile after many hours online with the so-called "help" staff at Revolut I have found out why Google Pay -- which I wasted much time setting up solely for this purpose -- does not work.

It is because my Google Pay is linked to a credit card and Revolut does not accept credit cards. In other words, you can use Google Pay for Revolut only if Google Pay has linked to it a debit card that Revolut would have accepted directly. (Which is precisely what I do not have and why I then resorted to setting up Google Pay. ). Don't ask me then what is the point to using Google Pay, apparently none at all in this situation.

Does anyone know anything about the meaning of the 4 sets of numbers on a Kasikorn ATM card?

Because I can enter the 1st 4 digits no problem. It is when I get to the end of the second set of 4 digits (i.e. digit 8 of the 16 digit number) that the "unsupported card" message pops up and it becomes impossible to add the card. 

Just wondering since it seems others with same bank can use their debit cards. 

The 1st digit, presumably "4" in your case, indicates it is a Visa card.  The next 5-7 digits identify the issuing bank.  The last 8 identify your account.  So they see it's a Visa debit card from Kasikorn and stop you proceeding further.  However, why it works for others is a mystery.

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

The 1st digit, presumably "4" in your case, indicates it is a Visa card.  The next 5-7 digits identify the issuing bank.  The last 8 identify your account.  So they see it's a Visa debit card from Kasikorn and stop you proceeding further.  However, why it works for others is a mystery.

Isn't it so that you have to enable online payments for it?

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Isn't it so that you have to enable online payments for it?

Yes.  A Kasikorn debit card will not work online until it is registered with "verified by visa".  I had to do that with mine before it would work with my "Grab" account.

27 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Does anyone know anything about the meaning of the 4 sets of numbers on a Kasikorn ATM card?

Because I can enter the 1st 4 digits no problem. It is when I get to the end of the second set of 4 digits (i.e. digit 8 of the 16 digit number) that the "unsupported card" message pops up and it becomes impossible to add the card. 

Just wondering since it seems others with same bank can use their debit cards. 

See posts above - you say it is activated but is your card already enabled for online payments?

19 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

The 1st digit, presumably "4" in your case, indicates it is a Visa card.  The next 5-7 digits identify the issuing bank.  The last 8 identify your account.  So they see it's a Visa debit card from Kasikorn and stop you proceeding further.  However, why it works for others is a mystery

THE problem sets in after entering digits 5-7. Do you know if this includes identifying bank branch? Might that  be the issue?

5 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

See posts above - you say it is activated but is your card already enabled for online payments?

Yes and I use it all the time for online payements. 

6 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Yes.  A Kasikorn debit card will not work online until it is registered with "verified by visa".  I had to do that with mine before it would work with my "Grab" account.

I don't recall if I evenr went hrough an adfitional verifucation process but I use this card  online all the time. 

Also if the issue was specific to this exact card I would not expect to get the "unsupported" message before entering the whole number. 

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

First digit is 5 not 4

And it is definitely a debit card? I thought all Kasikorn debit cards were Visa, but they do have Mastercard Credit cards which would begin with a 5. 

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

First digit is 5 not 4.

But problem sets in after entering digits 5-7. Do uou know if yhis inckudes identifying bank branch? Might that  be the issue?

First digit my Kasikorn debit card is a 4

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

And it is definitely a debit card? I thought all Kasikorn debit cards were Visa, but they do have Mastercard Credit cards which would begin with a 5. 

Sorry I mispike. First digit is indeed 4.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, george said:

Ok from this the issue is with the issuer identification number and not with my specifc account .

And it is with the very last digit  of the IIN. 

Which would differ ftom those of you who report success with Kasikorn debit card due to different branch.

I am thinking that maybe Revolut has a limited list of IINs for Kasikorn that includes only some branches, not all.  And that entries are automatically  matched against said incomplete list.

Card should still work fine and if there was competent support available they ought to be able to override this system check and manually enter it for me.  But there is not. 

On 3/3/2024 at 6:04 PM, george said:

Was the transfer instantly?

Great exchange rate or not?

Just transferred 20k to my Bangkok Bank acct and paid attention to details this time. Transaction time 12.15pm today. GBP THB Spot rate 45.41, I got 45.28. Money received in BB 12.17pm Revolut fee 25B. Unlike another poster I do not pay any fees to BB (can't explain the difference)

Not advocating Revolut over Wise as I do no yet have a Wise acct just reporting my own experience. As an aside I have used Revolut to withdraw cash and pay for hotels in 8 or 9 countries in the last year without hassle

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Ok from this the issue is with the issuer identification number and not with my specifc account .

And it is with the very last digit  of the IIN. 

Which would differ ftom those of you who report success with Kasikorn debit card due to different branch.

I am thinking that maybe Revolut has a limited list of IINs for Kasikorn that includes only some branches, not all.  And that entries are automatically  matched against said incomplete list.

Card should still work fine and if there was competent support available they ought to be able to override this system check and manually enter it for me.  But there is not. 

Nobody except for yourself should know the card number. No support team in the world would enter it for you due to security policy. Maybe Revolut's list is incomplete. I can use my very old Kbank debit card without problem, it all depends on the first digits in the card number...