Almost denied on entry

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You were entering visa exempt after metv expired. Problematic 

Yes, I suspect that was it.  I didn't want to go to Vietnam near Tet & Chinese New Year so delayed by a week, which mean't I would come back after my multi-entry expired.  I knew I would be here less than 30 days when re-entering with a legit return ticket as proof, so that is how I planned it.  I will plan more carefully next time to make sure I don't do that again. 

I am still concerned that it would have been a problem even if my multi-entry did not expire.  They didn't specifically say that a waiver was the problem.  They just didn't seem to like that I was mostly in Thailand for 5 months, besides the 2 weeks in Vietnam.  The issue of using a multi-entry in combination with a waiver never even came up. The agent spoke decent English, so communication was not a problem.

Edited by shdmn

10 hours ago, Hummin said:

North American huh, you do not know the bs an average European have to answer entering your country do you?

There are 3 countries in North America. USA, Canada and Mexico , which one you have gripe with?

Also as far as USA is concerned , it’s free entry if you decide to walk from Mexico Border.

• Love It 1

Another dodo saying he followed all the rules and did nothing wrong but conveniently ignores the rule that says the IO can do whatever they want, the decision is 100% up to them. Like most countries.

So many whining children pretending to be adults.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, shdmn said:

My appearance or smell was absolutely positively not it, but thanks for the laugh. As you can see from my picture below, I am a distinguished older gentleman of impeccable taste and charm.

Leonardo-DiCaprio-as-Calvin-Candy-in-Django-Unchained.png

Yes, I thoughts so. 🤔

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. 

the problem?

OP fits the pattern of visa runners

We can argue that the criteria for denial should be made clear, but the immigration officers has exercised their discretion and allowed him in

8 hours ago, South said:

33+ years here, never, not once ever had a problem.

Well, just try to fly in at Don Muang, and you'll go through 3 levels of hierarchy before they let you in..

It is a subtle mix on incompetence and xenophobia...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yes, it is very convenient to have the Elite visa but don't kid yourself for one minute - they still hate you

.....just a little less now. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

My appearance or smell was absolutely positively not it, but thanks for the laugh. As you can see from my picture below, I am a distinguished older gentleman of impeccable taste and charm.

Leonardo-DiCaprio-as-Calvin-Candy-in-Django-Unchained.png

Maybe Immigration saw the film...and recognized you for the violent bigot you are.

Edited by tjintx
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

Your point?  I have been coming here for 20+ years, not once ever having a problem....until now.  My plan until this happened was to use Thailand as a base and travel around Asia for 6 months of the year.  The 6 month multi-entry is supposed to be designed precisely for that exact purpose.

There you go, hoist by your own petard. The immigration chap saw 20+ years of 'perpetual tourist' on his computer and decided to pish in your cornflakes. Why?

Because he can and with your Thai immigration history, it was bound to happen sooner than later.

• Agree 1

Had this issue recently at BKK. Had previously entered on a tourist visa then went home for a month and came back on 30 day exemption. (Had previously had B visa and WP and loads of COVID extensions l) 

got pulled aside and asked a bunch of questions, showed them my onward ticket to China in 30 days and they were fine with it. Have avoided entering through BKK since then tho. 

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

typical looking guy, full of tattoos, missing teeth, hair in disarray, smell like a gunja plant, barefoot and dressed in torn clothing?

Stop, my stomach hurts from laughing so hard 🤣

• Sad 1

Waivers are not automatically given. You were unwise to assume that they were. Personally, from 1962 onwards, I have never ever had any problem with the Thai immigration authority. Given the apparent depth of your anger over this you are right to be considering other countries in which to reside. A word of warning though, if you didn't already know it, immigration authorities are awkward to deal with almost everywhere.

• Agree 2

OP - what was your time spent in Thailand over the last few years ?  that's usually what gets you over to a desk for an interview, it isn't based on what happens during one year/12 months.  i know from experience as i had to enter with tourist visa's for 5 years, waiting until i turned 50 to get the Non O and then one year extensions.  i had two interviews at Suvarnabhumi during those 5 yrs, was let in both times.  both interviews were conducted after i entered visa exempt, i knew the risk and, like you, i had a ticket out to my home country (USA) within the 30 days. they told me i had to enter with a tourist visa on the first interview but i rolled the dice a few times with visa exempt.  they got me on one of those and i had the second interview.  i was staying 6-8 months of the year in Thailand during those years (2013 to 2017).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

That BS questioning is not unique to Europeans.  I'm American and I get it too when I enter my own country.

Get global entry. I walk up to machine and put in passport and finger prints get my piece of paper with my pic taken on it hand it to a guy about 5 meters away and collect my bags. Have done it more than a dozen times. I've gotten a " welcome home " from the guy in Boston a few times but not in NYC 😂

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, shdmn said:

Yes, I suspect that was it.  I didn't want to go to Vietnam near Tet & Chinese New Year so delayed by a week, which mean't I would come back after my multi-entry expired.  I knew I would be here less than 30 days when re-entering with a legit return ticket as proof, so that is how I planned it.  I will plan more carefully next time to make sure I don't do that again. 

I am still concerned that it would have been a problem even if my multi-entry did not expire.  They didn't specifically say that a waiver was the problem.  They just didn't seem to like that I was mostly in Thailand for 5 months, besides the 2 weeks in Vietnam.  The issue of using a multi-entry in combination with a waiver never even came up. The agent spoke decent English, so communication was not a problem.

It would not have been a problem. You should have entered just before METV expired. Super easy then to use the full 60 days AND even extend that 30 days. Also as mentioned why on earth the first time they asked you why were you here so long you should have politely said for more traveling while SHOWING them the copy of your return home in less than 30 days. They should NOT have asked YOU that.  I bet you have a stubborn streak in you. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, RandiRona said:

There are 3 countries in North America. USA, Canada and Mexico , which one you have gripe with?

Also as far as USA is concerned , it’s free entry if you decide to walk from Mexico Border.

Oh, my bad, Mexico is reckoned as North America 🌎 Somehow I always thought is was South

18 hours ago, wasabi said:

I agree that this is not new. My wife and I had the same experience on a METV about 5 years ago and after being treated like criminals when we tried to reenter on our legally issued Thai visas we questioned if we wanted to continue visiting Thailand. We decided we wouldn't let that experience stop us from all the other things we love about Thailand, so we got Thailand Elite visas and are now whisked through immigration hassle-free. Not cheap but membership has its privileges.

As is true around the world, “money talks, nobody walks”. Too bad if you don’t have the money …

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, RandiRona said:

When did Mexico become North America?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2