Almost denied on entry

8 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yes, it is very convenient to have the Elite visa but don't kid yourself for one minute - they still hate you, it's just that now they're currently not allowed to kick you out or deny entry.

Yeah well that counts for whatever visa here

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

This is a first for me.  I did everything by the book as far as I can tell.  I'll follow the rules but it would help to know what the rules are.  I've been in Thailand almost 5 months on a multi-entry visa.  Extended by 30 days once and did a border run to renew for another 60 days.  Then I went to Vietnam for several days.  During that time my multi-entry visa expired so I knew I could not use that again on re-entry.  However, I am going back to my home country within 30 days, so I knew that a waiver on arrival would suffice. 

Upon arrival they pulled me off to the side and kept asking me what I am doing here.  What do I do for work.  Do I have a girlfriend here.  How long am I staying.  They asked me how long I am staying several times.  I think what ultimately saved me is when I showed them my return ticket back to my home country within 30 days.  However, they didn't ask for it.  They didn't seem to want to give me a 30 day waiver no matter what.  I had to sell it to them that I was definitely going back home within 30 days this time, no more border runs or extensions.  I will not be here longer than 6 months total and this is the first 30-day waiver on arrival I have gotten in that time.  I was out of the country more than just a couple days so that can't be it either.  What was the problem exactly?  They never really said and I didn't want to ask.  Once I got my stamp I was out of there.  This new BS trying to get back in and all the other bureaucratic hassles for renewals piling up, like the TM30 requirement they are getting strict about, and now the tax thing, doesn't make me feel very welcome here anymore. 

Vietnam is talking about give out 90 day visa waivers on arrival for people from North America.  They don't seem to care how many times you do border runs to renew that, land or air, so if that happens then Vietnam will start to look a lot more appealing to me.  Philippines doesn't have any visa hassles either.  Also, no tax issues to worry about.

They don't think you are a tourist spending your savings but likely think you earn money while living in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's all about money like everything in Thailand. They simply want you to buy an Elite visa. The TAT is giving big brown envelopes to the Immigration officers at DMK and BKK. Easy way to generate millions of baht

Edited by tmax
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I sympathise with the OP. I would have thought a 30 day waiver wouldn't have raised questions as he was legitimately using the METV as it was suppose to be used. Yes maybe he could have done another run before the visa expired.

The reason I made a reply here is that I am currently in the queue for a METV my home country now. My plan is to make 3 different entries into Thailand over that 6 Month period with the last entry to be extended at a local immigration office. During that METV I will return to my home country and also visit Vietnam on another trip. Am I likely to encounter any problems?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1