Almost denied on entry

15 hours ago, Hummin said:

North American huh, you do not know the bs an average European have to answer entering your country do you?

That’s cause everybody is out to get us … well, that is what we are told by some. Other’s of us would say if we have so many wishing us ill, what are we doing to piss far too many off?! As an American, I long ago lost the ability to criticize other countries before looking at what the US systems demand.

14 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

That BS questioning is not unique to Europeans.  I'm American and I get it too when I enter my own country.

I did note with a very good feeling, when the Passport control officer said, “Welcome Home”. Sadly, that one time stands out in my mind due to its rarely.

16 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Well you learn something new everyday. I thought North America was just Canada and USA and that Alaska bit 😉

Which continent did you think included the countries joining North and South and all the scattered Island nations in the region? 

I will admit I couldn't have drawn the boundary between the two continents.

Check out who's included in the continent of Oceania to really blow your mind .

12 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Which continent did you think included the countries joining North and South and all the scattered Island nations in the region? 

I will admit I couldn't have drawn the boundary between the two continents.

Why would I actually care lol. Don't even know why Canada is referred to as in North America. Must really piss them off

It's like referring to New Zealand as East Australia lol

Edited by Pattaya57

19 hours ago, shdmn said:

What you are talking about is people who do stuff that is not by the book.  Multiple border runs and just doing visa waivers several times over and over again.  I didn't do that.  Everything I did was completely by the book.

There is no such a book

49 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

That’s cause everybody is out to get us … well, that is what we are told by some. Other’s of us would say if we have so many wishing us ill, what are we doing to piss far too many off?! As an American, I long ago lost the ability to criticize other countries before looking at what the US systems demand.

And why is everybody out to get you guys? Thats a valid question. 

Could it it be double standards and double morality? 

You guys have the biggest economy, and far among those who is ignorant to other countries systems and regulations as well culture. 

1 hour ago, Wrwest said:

All I want to know is why Americans are so nice, quiet and respectful when at home, but need to be the loudest person in the bar when they're abroad...it's as common as the German's placing the towell on deck chair at 5 am to block the whole day?

One of my best mates is from Alaska but I'm embarrassed how loud he is in bars. When he brings his Thai wife he is so quiet and respectful like I'm sure he is at home. I told him I prefer that version so only bring your Thai wife from now on 😀

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, shdmn said:

I could do that, or just get a retirement visa since I am over 50.  That's not the point.  The point is that I followed the rules and was still made to feel unwelcome.  No guarantees that getting either of those other visas will solve that.  It makes me want to reconsider retiring here when there are other countries who seem to have much more welcoming visa rules for people like me.  There are limits to what I will put up with no matter how much I like it here.  The new tax rules are another thing that concern me.  It's not just this.

The problem is that too many people have followed the rules to the point that they're getting tired of people staying here abusing the rules.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When you refer to 'They'.....  [hate us]... are you stating to ALL Thai's hating ALL foreigners in Thailand, or are you stating ALL Immigration officers hate ALL foreigners ??

And, where did you get this attitude from ???.....   

I'm saying that immigration officers who act like this hate us, definitely not all of them, in fact most of them are pretty good and efficient at their jobs.

This attitude? I was born with it.

21 hours ago, wasabi said:

I agree that this is not new. My wife and I had the same experience on a METV about 5 years ago and after being treated like criminals when we tried to reenter on our legally issued Thai visas we questioned if we wanted to continue visiting Thailand. We decided we wouldn't let that experience stop us from all the other things we love about Thailand, so we got Thailand Elite visas and are now whisked through immigration hassle-free. Not cheap but membership has its privileges.

Now think about why they harass frequent visitors in the first place.

$$$

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I'm saying that immigration officers who act like this hate us, definitely not all of them, in fact most of them are pretty good and efficient at their jobs.

Fair enough if when referring to 'they' you are referring specifically to a minority of Immigration officers who may fester resentment... 

I'd agree that there are some Immigration officers who's attitudes towards Foreigners are tarnished, either through underlying prejudice or one which has developed through continued exposure to foreigners from an elevated position.

We can see it with Market Traders in places like Patong etc...  There is a lot of negative attitudes quite likely the consequences of generalised feelings of contempt when dealing with a lot of foreigners and then tarring all with the same negative brush - certainly such negative sentiment towards foreginers is far less common away from areas of 'crowded' tourist footfall. 

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

This attitude? I was born with it.

No one is born with an attitude...    I can understand how such an opinion described above can develop. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Hey OP,

They do this sometimes when they notice you are eligible for a retirement visa. They would prefer you switch to that instead of using tourist visas. I know it sounds weird, but yeah. It is what it is.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, shdmn said:

What was the problem exactly?

Simple, your entry history caused them to suspect you may in fact be working illegally.

I understand your anger, I've also been warned. I had a conversation with an I.O. at a later date, as to why this happens and he said, "we think maybe you work".

You know you weren't working - neither was I but we don't see the thousands they bar each year that are in fact, working, Immigration Officers do.

I was once offfered a job in Sukhumvit and when I asked about a Work Permit, I was told the job didn't include one.  On the way to the manager's office for my interview I must have passed at least 50 foreigners sat at desks - working.  I wonder how many of those had Work Permits.

6 hours ago, Dolf said:

I almost won lotto.

This.  ^^

Ever sit through a fifteen minute story where someone tells you they "almost got into a car accident" that day.  Turns out - they didn't.

So nothing happened.  

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, RandiRona said:

There are 3 countries in North America. USA, Canada and Mexico , which one you have gripe with?

Also as far as USA is concerned , it’s free entry if you decide to walk from Mexico Border.

Give it a try and when they put you on a plane to Mexico City   hasta la vista

20 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

That BS questioning is not unique to Europeans.  I'm American and I get it too when I enter my own country

I'm a Brit and I have to say on occasion my passport has not worked in the e-gates at  airports  and then I've experienced unwelcome questioning by border force officials. Began to wonder if I was on some watch list in the UK.

On 2/29/2024 at 8:22 PM, shdmn said:

I could do that, or just get a retirement visa since I am over 50.  That's not the point.  The point is that I followed the rules and was still made to feel unwelcome.  No guarantees that getting either of those other visas will solve that.  It makes me want to reconsider retiring here when there are other countries who seem to have much more welcoming visa rules for people like me.  There are limits to what I will put up with no matter how much I like it here.  The new tax rules are another thing that concern me.  It's not just this.

That's probably exactly why you had issues. You're over the age of 50 and really should be on a retirement visa. Leave the METV for the younger folks who aren't able to get a retirement visa due to age discrimination of the Thai government. Lots of younger folks could easily do a 800k in the bank while there are lots of old folks doing the dodgy dodgy agent & immigration bribes because they can't do a 800k in the bank qualification.

• Sad 1

On 2/29/2024 at 8:45 PM, AlexRich said:

I think these tighter restrictions have been around for a long time now, several years. The days when you could Visa hop are gone.

A load of BS. I know loads of Lao & Cambodian people doing visa runs every 30 days to stay here for many years already, and continue to do so without any hassles. Not once have they been questioned or had any issues whatsoever. There are a number of visa run companies who are doing them for those nationalities.

Edited by bbi1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/1/2024 at 12:42 PM, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Had this issue recently at BKK. Had previously entered on a tourist visa then went home for a month and came back on 30 day exemption. (Had previously had B visa and WP and loads of COVID extensions l) 

got pulled aside and asked a bunch of questions, showed them my onward ticket to China in 30 days and they were fine with it. Have avoided entering through BKK since then tho. 

Did you go to a male IO or female IO at BKK? Lots of people advise avoiding female IOs.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, raz0r21 said:

Hey OP,

They do this sometimes when they notice you are eligible for a retirement visa. They would prefer you switch to that instead of using tourist visas. I know it sounds weird, but yeah. It is what it is.

Doesn't sound weird at all. It makes perfect sense. Yes, clearly the OP should be on a retirement visa as that's the correct visa for over 50's who with to spend significant time in Thailand. METV should be saved for younger folks who aren't allowed to be on a retirement visa due to age discrimination.

Edited by bbi1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Did you go to a male IO or female IO at BKK? Lots of people advise avoiding female IOs.

Young Male guy at the desk and an older male who pulled me to the questioning area, and I was using fast track 

Edited by FridgeMagnet1

6 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Young Male guy at the desk and an older male who pulled me to the questioning area, and I was using fast track 

Once I got a number of questions by the female IO at the fast track, on a business class ticket. This after being out of the country for 3 years during the Covid period and just when Thailand was starting to open up, in October 2022. I was on a visa exempt entry as that time they were giving 45 days, instead of 30 days. After a few questions, I was stamped in.

Maybe the problems are if you use the Fast Track lane, more questions as it's completely empty with nobody using them so they're bored with time to chat and question people. The normal lanes they don't have any time to chat, as there are millions of people waiting to get stamped into the country, especially at this time of the year as there seems to be soooooo many foreigners here in Thailand.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Female IO on Thursday evening was very pleasant to me.

No issue at all, did not ask me to scan my finger prints either.... just smile at the camera, she stamped my passport and wrote in the valid until date and I was on my way.... Few minutes at most.