How to these sim cards work? Seems way cheaper option than normal post paid

I have used AIS & DTAC 1 years sims with zero problems.

I get OTP's and SMS messages from both domestic and international banks OK.

Edited by norbra
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Hi folks, Ive been wondering how to these SIMs work?

I think they are like valid for 1 year after activation, but anyone here use them and what are their adv and dis adv? (Dis adv might be with recieving OTP from banks maybe)

https://shopee.co.th/Sim-Cards-cat.11044951.11045114.11045604

Dis adv might be with recieving OTP from banks maybe

you nailed it, if you use your phone for bank/email/ etc. authentication then changing your number ever year will be a pain. depends on what you use your phone for. you know your requirements, so as they say here, up to you.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, noobexpat said:

I guess you have to change your number every year.

Too much drama to save 1000 baht a year for me.

Most phones have 2 sim slots, one you use for your main number the other can be used for these yearly data sim deals, so no drama

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most phones have 2 sim slots, one you use for your main number the other can be used for these yearly data sim deals, so no drama

Understandable ...but still too much for my interest

Maybe you use it instead of getting wifi too. 

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

What's a wifi too?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, norbra said:

What's a wifi too?

555 hopefully you are not taking the p*$$

Using a phone as a hotspot in your condo instead of getting wifi installed.

Seems to be popular for some.

But i probably have more pressing needs than the retired gents.

7 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

555 hopefully you are not taking the p*$$

Using a phone as a hotspot in your condo instead of getting wifi installed.

Seems to be popular for some.

But i probably have more pressing needs than the retired gents.

And what do you use for data away from home?

For data "on my prepaid sim for calls "would run at 699thb per month.

So why not have a 2000thb pa second sim for data.

I had fibre to the router for several years and had too many outages,so I ditched that method for a second data sim in each of my family members phones.

Problem solved we all have unlimited data wherever we go.

For home appliances I have a router with an NT 990thb pa unlimited sim.

Not very complicated for a retired gent with a wife who chews through 80gbs per month.

My total annual costs are still below fixed line fibre without it's limitations

1 hour ago, noobexpat said:

Yes, my DTAC 12 month SIM is a good backup if my 3BB fibre fails, or get a power cut.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, norbra said:

And what do you use for data away from home?

For data "on my prepaid sim for calls "would run at 699thb per month.

So why not have a 2000thb pa second sim for data.

I had fibre to the router for several years and had too many outages,so I ditched that method for a second data sim in each of my family members phones.

Problem solved we all have unlimited data wherever we go.

Not very complicated for a retired gent with a wife who chews through 80gbs per month.

My total annual costs are still below fixed line fibre without it's limitations

I have 200b/month AIS unlimited data sim + 3BB fibre in the condo.

My concerns are not cost but ensuring business continuity.

13 minutes ago, norbra said:

Please, some details like speed etc. Bht990 pa is better than Bht 749 per month with 3BB.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Please, some details like speed etc. Bht990 pa is better than Bht 749 per month with 3BB.

I am not in central Bangkok,the signal here is weak but can still stream movies.

Download best 35mbps, peak times 4 Mbps and have had one outage in 7 months NT Thunder unlimited sim.

The sim has some limitations,users say condo level 5 can be a hight limit,connecting to channel 40 could be an issue,I cannot use it in my Vivo phone because of this reason,but it works in my router and my Huawei phone.

Recommend you buy a 200thb version sim to ensure it performs in your home.

Screenshot_20240301_151243.jpg

Edited by norbra

34 minutes ago, norbra said:

I am not in central Bangkok,the signal here is weak but can still stream movies.

Download best 35mbps, peak times 4 Mbps and have had one outage in 7 months NT Thunder unlimited sim.

The sim has some limitations,users say condo level 5 can be a hight limit,connecting to channel 40 could be an issue,I cannot use it in my Vivo phone because of this reason,but it works in my router and my Huawei phone.

Thanks. I have a 12 month DTAC SIM in my phone simply for data, with a normal pre-paid AIS for when I make the rare 'phone calls'. The DTAC can be used as a hotspot, and my IPTV run off it perfectly.

I was forced to use a phone sim when i came here on holiday, a few years back.

Absolutely terrible. The drama trying to run my business. Had to leave the condo (weak speed/signal) and go to central festival where it was fine.

45 minutes ago, norbra said:

I like online gaming. This is insufficient.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, noobexpat said:

Do not think so.

When my true 1 year sim was about to expire, they automatically sent a text with a code to renew for another year.

Edited by freeworld

I bought the AIS sim from Lazada worked fine   after one year renewed at Telewhiz big c branch still using it .Shoppe and Lazada OK .Be aware lot of sim card scams on Facebook. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 10:12 AM, noobexpat said:

No, you don't have to change the SIM every year. You just renew the package if you want. Same number, same SIM.

27 minutes ago, bradiston said:

No, you don't have to change the SIM every year. You just renew the package if you want. Same number, same SIM.

I'm talking about these 1 year lazada/shopee purchased ones. 

Edited by noobexpat
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/1/2024 at 2:39 PM, norbra said:

wife who chews through 80gbs per month.

Wow! ??? Unlimited data essential! Does she even have time to look at you? Out of interest what's the speed? Does it drop if a daily, weekly or monthly data limit is hit?

Vote for AIS

I have AIS 'The One' SIM.  I have an add-on for 300bht per month for UNLIMITED data.  Nominally at 20mbps according to the deal however I routinely get TWICE that.

It's bloody brilliant.

Here's a speed test from just a few mins ago.. 50mbps.

Coverage is very good too.

Screenshot_20240303_013221_Speedtest.jpg

13 hours ago, noobexpat said:

I'm talking about these 1 year lazada/shopee purchased ones. 

And? Doesn't matter where you purchase them. They're just SIM cards offered for sale by a retail outlet. Download the app for your provider and take a look.

• Like 1

i have a 1 year ais net marathon sim, i renewed it in December and kept the same number, after it expired i topped up the account with enough money to cover another year and it renewed automatically. no monthly costs 

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

I have a one year unlimited data sim card from DTAC that I use in Thailand but can't use outside of Thailand.

Does anyone know if I can buy a one year unlimited data sim card that I can use outside of Thailand?

Not really,  i have bought them yearly for the past 5 years , i have a 2 sim phone and therefore keep my original Thai number that i have had for 23 year's. I was spending about 900 a month on phone calls before and 500 on mobile Internet.  These 12 month sims have saved me about 15,000 baht a year x 5 years so 75,000 in totol.

The ones i buy have free calls to all Thai networks as well as free Internet at maximum speed , i have always paid about 1000 to 1200 per year for them , but the price seems to have doubled recently.  I will check when mine expires in April , i always buy the True Move H one's. 

Edited by Brick Top
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Brick Top said:

Not really,  i have bought them yearly for the past 5 years , i have a 2 sim phone and therefore keep my original Thai number that i have had for 23 year's. I was spending about 900 a month on phone calls before and 500 on mobile Internet.  These 12 month sims have saved me about 15,000 baht a year x 5 years so 75,000 in totol.

The ones i buy have free calls to all Thai networks as well as free Internet at maximum speed , i have always paid about 1000 to 1200 per year for them , but the price seems to have doubled recently.  I will check when mine expires in April , i always buy the True Move H one's. 

Sure, you were spending a lot before though.

My AIS is 200b monthly top up via their app. It was initially a 6 month 'deal' in their shop, but as long as you top up it just keeps going. Unlimited data - maybe 10 to 15mbps??

Good for emergencies if my wifi is down. But saving 5,000b by swapping wifi for sim card is about 1 hours work per year! I'm not yet at peak frugal 😉 

I have a dual sim phone one is for calls and the number hasn't changed in years and years. The other sim is for data and i renew it once a year. no drama.

That said i can't remember the last time i made a call that wasnt to a call centre. Everyone I know uses Messenger, WhatsApp or Telegram  

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1