Colonoscopy

On 3/3/2024 at 11:27 AM, Dolf said:

I view doctors like mechanics. If it ain't broken don't fix it. 

You don't know if it's broken until you check.

Edited by bradiston
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2024 at 10:57 AM, georgegeorgia said:

The doctor has recommended me to go for a colonoscopy

No reason just a check as I get old.

I'm thinking of waiting until I get to Thailand/Philippines in June 

But my questions to you are , is a colonoscopy needed if Yoh have no symptoms of bowel disorders?

Im scared to get this done as they have to put you to sleep apparently and they may talk about me and make jokes etc 

They should video the whole procedure and provide with you a copy on DVD along with the report. SOP. Literally!

On 3/3/2024 at 11:07 AM, retarius said:

I'm 70 and have had doctors regularly urging me to get a colonoscopy done since I was 50. It is recommended by the AMA that you get one done every 5 years after age 50. A mate of mine got one done and was told he had polyps (which is very common indeed) and the surgeon recommended that he have a section of bowel removed, have a temporary stoma bag, and then after 3 months have his bowel reattached to his anus. He had to have a blood drive as US hospitals were short of blood at the time.

Now the guy didn't even have cancerous lesions. I am sure the chances of dying from a birth field post surgical infection are far higher than dying of a potential cancer. 

I have not had a colonoscopy, nor will I have one, and if I die for bowel cancer then so be it, you have too die of something don't you? 

If you die of bowel cancer, it won't be the only cause.

It is recommnded if you are 50+ years old,  to prevent colon cancer, so doctors will recommend to have it done.   

I had it done at Bumrungrad Hospital, Easy procedure,  a few hours,  they will give you some  kind of laxative at the hospital to help empty the bowels,  you go home the same day.  Procedure bit uncomfortable but I think worth it, as can prevent you getting cancer.

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Your post reminds me of Einstein's observation on the universe and human stupidity.

I know people who see doctors a lot. Always some problem. Not I said the fly. 

16 minutes ago, bondjames007 said:

It is recommnded if you are 50+ years old,  to prevent colon cancer, so doctors will recommend to have it done.   

I had it done at Bumrungrad Hospital, Easy procedure,  a few hours,  they will give you some  kind of laxative at the hospital to help empty the bowels,  you go home the same day.  Procedure bit uncomfortable but I think worth it, as can prevent you getting cancer.

It can't prevent it, but definitely give early warning. And you were conscious the whole time?

Edited by bradiston

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

I know people who see doctors a lot. Always some problem. Not I said the fly. 

I knew people who died because they avoided doctors. Up to you.

57 minutes ago, F Groenen said:

Ask for CEA test with your blood work. This is an indicator of bowel cancer. Not included in the standard blood tests.

CEA is not considered reliable enough for top down public health screening for bowel cancer.

It might be worth doing but it should interpreted in context. Two Doctors who treat me have cautioned me that it should be regarded as nothing more than a warning that something is amiss.  I was however sent for a CT scan when my CEA went up again after surgery and chemo.

Edited by mokwit

11 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Can those who have had a colonoscopy in Thauiland give region, hospital and price so others can have useful info if they decide to have one?

PH

Trad Bangkok Hospital. Maybe 6 or 7 years ago. About 8k THB IIRC. Stayed in overnight, which wasn't included, and in most cases, probably not necessary but at doctor's discretion, and state of wallet. Useful if you have inpatient cover. Was given a DVD of the whole procedure, as was out cold. Later found a copy on .... No, only kidding. Wouldn't surprise me though.

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2024 at 11:07 AM, retarius said:

I'm 70 and have had doctors regularly urging me to get a colonoscopy done since I was 50. It is recommended by the AMA that you get one done every 5 years after age 50. A mate of mine got one done and was told he had polyps (which is very common indeed) and the surgeon recommended that he have a section of bowel removed, have a temporary stoma bag, and then after 3 months have his bowel reattached to his anus. He had to have a blood drive as US hospitals were short of blood at the time.

Now the guy didn't even have cancerous lesions. I am sure the chances of dying from a birth field post surgical infection are far higher than dying of a potential cancer. 

I have not had a colonoscopy, nor will I have one, and if I die for bowel cancer then so be it, you have too die of something don't you? 

the silent..no pain growing polyps can get to a T4 stage where they grow through your intestinal wall into your abdominal cavity, blocking your bowel movement. I realize you are in denial, however modern medicine encourages us all to make use of the testing and procedures available. I would urge everyone to get checked.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bradiston said:

It can't prevent it, but definitely give early warning. And you were conscious the whole time?

Yes,  and awake all the time,  there is a screen,  so you can watch the procedure. Most uncomfortable for me, was the preparation,  the laxatives wasn't working,  so they gave me an enema.

1 minute ago, tandor said:

the silent..no pain growing polyps can get to a T4 stage where they grow through your intestinal wall into your abdominal cavity, blocking your bowel movement. I realize you are in denial, however modern medicine encourages us all to make use of the testing and procedures available. I would urge everyone to get checked.

It baffles me why some posters on this thread will insure their cars and houses, but won't insure themselves.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, bondjames007 said:

Yes,  and awake all the time,  there is a screen,  so you can watch the procedure. Most uncomfortable for me, was the preparation,  the laxatives wasn't working,  so they gave me an enema.

I'm a day before procedure and this Moviprep stuff is not working!!

Did they give you this enema on the day of surgery?

Posted (edited)

My colonoscopy is tommrrw, no solids today and drinking this disgusting Moviprep stuff which doesn't seem to be working

So I'm 24 hours without food 

All this for what is probably 5 minutes with a camera up my 🍑, unbelievable 

Edited by georgegeorgia

I had blood in my stool and a screening was suggested. I had it done in Udonthani and eventually they confirmed that I had cancer of the Colon. By the way they DO NOT PUT YOU TO SLEEP for an MRI. 

3 minutes ago, itsallmine68 said:

I had blood in my stool and a screening was suggested. I had it done in Udonthani and eventually they confirmed that I had cancer of the Colon. By the way they DO NOT PUT YOU TO SLEEP for an MRI. 

And how is the treatment?

7 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

My colonoscopy is tommrrw, no solids today and drinking this disgusting Moviprep stuff which doesn't seem to be working

Don't worry, rest assured the Moviprep will be working soon enough.

24 hours out of your life for reassurance  or detection IMO is worth the time.

The earlier a cancer or polyp is detected, the better one's survival chances become.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Agree 1

On 3/3/2024 at 2:09 PM, zhounan said:

It depends on your age or on your symptoms.

I am 33, and just done a colonoscopy two months ago because I was having rectal pain. All the process was perfect, just like the nurses and doctors. The price was around 8.000 baht.

(Don't worry, nobody will makes jokes of you)

Where did you have this procedure done for 8000b  if  I  may ask,?  I  have had 2 quotes from Pattaya private hospitals   at 18,000b and 32,000b both for same procedure

13 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm a day before procedure and this Moviprep stuff is not working!!

Did they give you this enema on the day of surgery?

Yes,  they start with you taking medicine (Laxatives),  you wait for a while, for laxtives to work,  bowels must be completely empty before the procedure.  If laxatives don't work,  they will give you an enema same day.  

I think they recommend everyone have it done when you turn 50 regardless of condition. I had it done in Thailand 9 months ago, painless procedure. 

• Like 1

I relate my experience really only to bring a smile to you. I had two Colonoscopies over the years in the USA. The last one they found some polyps and cauterized but ... OK, there I am on my side, drugged but awake. So, the Doctor hands me his end of the tube and says, "here take a look"! Closest I have gotten to putting my head up my own ...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2024 at 11:27 AM, Dolf said:

I view doctors like mechanics. If it ain't broken don't fix it. 

That's what my friend said. He had Diverticulosis and it almost killed him. A colonoscopy would have discovered it and saved well over a million baht.

4 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

I relate my experience really only to bring a smile to you. I had two Colonoscopies over the years in the USA. The last one they found some polyps and cauterized but ... OK, there I am on my side, drugged but awake. So, the Doctor hands me his end of the tube and says, "here take a look"! Closest I have gotten to putting my head up my own ...

Both times I had it done they put me under. Thankfully! 😆

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2024 at 4:57 PM, georgegeorgia said:

The doctor has recommended me to go for a colonoscopy

No reason just a check as I get old.

I'm thinking of waiting until I get to Thailand/Philippines in June 

But my questions to you are , is a colonoscopy needed if Yoh have no symptoms of bowel disorders?

Im scared to get this done as they have to put you to sleep apparently and they may talk about me and make jokes etc 

It's NOT necessary to "put you to sleep". You can have it done under sedation as I did, or just do it without anything. While I was sedated I didn't experience any actual pain.

I think it's just uncomfortable if done without anything.

If they try to make you have a GA that's just trying to make more money out of you.

47 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Anyone can survive without food for 24 hours. Man up.

It's longer than 5 minutes and they can't do it if full of poo.

Did they not tell you that you can put flavouring in the bowel prep?

Takes a while, but it will work, eventually. You may not get much sleep.

You don't have to do it. Up to you.

• Agree 1

I had several colonoscopies since reaching my late 40s, the latest recently at the Japanese Hospital by Samitivej, Bangkok. Excellent patient experience.

The best thing about the whole matter always is the immense relief one feels afterwards, having been told that one is good for another 5 years.