Colonoscopy

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I know there is some discussion about the benefit to risk ratio in that I have read that without a history of cancer or what not, the risk of the test can outweigh the risk of not testing. It would be nice if Sherle weighed in. 

My doctor told me that he recommends every ten years, unless they find something. 

Ten years? you would be dead and buried in that timeframe

3 minutes ago, Tiber said:

Why do you say that? No history of cancer in my family and nothing to seen in the last four I've had. 

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why do you say that? No history of cancer in my family and nothing to seen in the last four I've had. 

Same here, no history is no pointer to not getting it

45 minutes ago, Tiber said:

Colon cancers are fairly slow growing. The 10 year interval does not apply to people with history of polyps found or other risk factors. If someone has a completely clean colonoscopy result (no growths of any type seen) and no exceptional risk factors, they are not going to newly develop and then die of colon cancer within ten years.

When multiple polyps have been found, or a single polyp that is large, the frequency of screening is 2-3 yearly.

59 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I know there is some discussion about the benefit to risk ratio in that I have read that without a history of cancer or what not, the risk of the test can outweigh the risk of not testing. It would be nice if Sherle weighed in. 

My doctor told me that he recommends every ten years, unless they find something. 

The risk of screening does NOT outweigh the risk of cancer for the age group recommended for screening, unless there  are some specific individual contraindications. (Example: a known bleeding disorder).

Every ten years from ages 45 to 75 (more frequent if multiple polyps or large polyp found, or other risk factor) is the standard guidance. After age 75, risks of the procedure increase somewhat at a population level so it needs to be decided on an individual basis taking into account what, if anything,  was found on prior screenings and the individual's overall health status.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Correct, that's what I've read also, specifically for screening, if you've read it you can make an informed decision

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Colon cancers are fairly slow growing. The 10 year interval does not apply to people with history of polyps found or other risk factors. If someone has a completely clean colonoscopy result (no growths of any type seen) and no exceptional risk factors, they are not going to newly develop and then die of colon cancer within ten years.

When multiple polyps have been found, or a single polyp that is large, the frequency of screening is 2-3 yearly.

Thanks, just unfortunate I caught it, non smoker, hardly touched booze, can hardly state no sex.

Its the early diagnostic that is important, might be slow growing, but its there ,once stage 3 or 4 its all over

2 minutes ago, Tiber said:

Thanks, just unfortunate I caught it, non smoker, hardly touched booze, can hardly state no sex.

Its the early diagnostic that is important, might be slow growing, but its there ,once stage 3 or 4 its all over

I thought from your other posts you had esophageal cancer not colon cancer???

Just now, Tiber said:

Yes have oesophageal, at junction of bowel

or had, do not get much information, just its controlled, no spread, and blah blah blah, Ill live for many years, I've  no idea . The Maggie's cancer places here are good for information

Radiation knocked the hell out of me, having fatty liver put off operation, but now resolved looking at surgery again, have to see

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I thought from your other posts you had esophageal cancer not colon cancer???

Yes just seen, type of cancer slow growing, but once effects are felt, fast growing, just as well I got early diagnostic

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The risk of screening does NOT outweigh the risk of cancer for the age group recommended for screening, unless there  are some specific individual contraindications. (Example: a known bleeding disorder).

Every ten years from ages 45 to 75 (more frequent if multiple polyps or large polyp found, or other risk factor) is the standard guidance. After age 75, risks of the procedure increase somewhat at a population level so it needs to be decided on an individual basis taking into account what, if anything,  was found on prior screenings and the individual's overall health status.

Thanks, I assumed it did not, otherwise insurance companies would not promote them. 

3 hours ago, Tiber said:

Yes just seen, type of cancer slow growing, but once effects are felt, fast growing, just as well I got early diagnostic

So nto relevant to this thread which is about colonoscopy, a screening for colon cancer.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

So nto relevant to this thread which is about colonoscopy, a screening for colon cancer.

Sorry Sheryl,you are right. Was screened   for both ends,mix up  with results

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

What about these polyps though?

Nearly  everyone has them apparently, waiting 10 years is a long time 

On 3/3/2024 at 8:09 AM, zhounan said:

It depends on your age or on your symptoms.

I am 33, and just done a colonoscopy two months ago because I was having rectal pain. All the process was perfect, just like the nurses and doctors. The price was around 8.000 baht.

(Don't worry, nobody will makes jokes of you)

What hospital was that? In Bangkok? What department is correct to visit for doing this?

21 hours ago, bondjames007 said:

It is recommnded if you are 50+ years old,  to prevent colon cancer, so doctors will recommend to have it done.   

I had it done at Bumrungrad Hospital, Easy procedure,  a few hours,  they will give you some  kind of laxative at the hospital to help empty the bowels,  you go home the same day.  Procedure bit uncomfortable but I think worth it, as can prevent you getting cancer.

What was the cost for it? And what deoartment to go there?

2 hours ago, Captor said:

What was the cost for it? And what deoartment to go there?

It was a while ago when had it done,  about 5 years,  think around the 15-20k I paid.  I am not too sure.  The department is the digestive disease.

Well just finished my colonoscopy

It wasnt as bad as a thought 

Arrived at the clinic they ask you to dress in a blue gown , leave your t shirt on ,pants and undies off

You then lay in a bed ,the guy put in a needle in my top of my right hand and said it's sedation I think he said 

Then took my blood pressure, then he said lay on your left side and knees up .

He asked me like a 100 times to confirm my date of birth and why I'm here ?

I could see a pic LCD tv on the wall 

Anyway he starts talking to me ask me something next thing I'm out 

I wake up tired with coffee and cake in front of me I eat it , a nurse comes over she says the dr will come talk to me 

A doctor comes over he says you had a 2mm polyp and I cut it out and sent it to the lab 

Ok I said. ,he then left ,he didn't say it was a dangerous polyp or anything,just he cut it out and sent it away ? 

Why would he do that ?

I feel tired but it was painless 

Get your colonoscopy done !  

• Thumbs Up 1

I must add too

I stripped down my undies to naked and took off my  shorts & undies put the blue gown on before I lay on the table ......now work this out. ...  

When I woke up in recovery..   lo & behold ....my undies and shorts and my shirt were on ! 

How does that happen ???

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Not "nearly everybody".

But also not uncommon (polyps). If multiple polyps are found, or s single polyp of 1 cm size or more, you'd be put on more frequent screening interval. 

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Arrived at the clinic they ask you to dress in a blue gown , leave your t shirt on ,pants and undies off

You then lay in a bed ,the guy put in a needle in my top of my right hand and said it's sedation I think he said 

I wake up tired with coffee and cake in front of me I eat it , 

Ok I said. ,he then left ,he didn't say it was a dangerous polyp or anything,just he cut it out and sent it away ? 

Why would he do that ?

Awaiting biopsy report.

2mm is quite small. 

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I must add too

I stripped down my undies to naked and took off my  shorts & undies put the blue gown on before I lay on the table ......now work this out. ...  

When I woke up in recovery..   lo & behold ....my undies and shorts and my shirt were on ! 

How does that happen ???

Obviously they dressed you. Nice touch. As was the coffee & snack. I've never had either. 

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I wake up tired with coffee and cake in front of me I eat it , a nurse comes over she says the dr will come talk to me 

A doctor comes over he says you had a 2mm polyp and I cut it out and sent it to the lab 

Why would he do that ?

I feel tired but it was painless 

Get your colonoscopy done !  

So the movieprep did the job eventually ? 

On 3/5/2024 at 8:32 AM, tandor said:

the silent..no pain growing polyps can get to a T4 stage where they grow through your intestinal wall into your abdominal cavity, blocking your bowel movement. I realize you are in denial, however modern medicine encourages us all to make use of the testing and procedures available. I would urge everyone to get checked.

hey "confused" what don't you understand about this?

11 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I must add too

How does that happen ???

just a guess...possibly a nurse.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/6/2024 at 2:21 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Not everyone has polyps.

Not all polyps are pre-cancerous.

It usually takes many years for a polyp to (1l  develop and (2) then  turn cancerous (if it does so at all).

The standard recommendation for screening frequency were developed with great deliberation taking into account risks of both cancer and the endoscopy itself. While coloniscopy risjs are small in.people wirhout special risk factors, the risk is not zero. 

You had a single, very very small, polyp which has been removed i.e. you now have no polyps. Unless the path exam shows domething worrisome you will be advised to re-screen in 10 years.