Colonoscopy

On 3/3/2024 at 10:57 AM, georgegeorgia said:

The doctor has recommended me to go for a colonoscopy

No reason just a check as I get old.

I'm thinking of waiting until I get to Thailand/Philippines in June 

But my questions to you are , is a colonoscopy needed if Yoh have no symptoms of bowel disorders?

Im scared to get this done as they have to put you to sleep apparently and they may talk about me and make jokes etc 

Had one done in Aus 4 days before coming back over to Thailand. Day surgery took maybe 4 hours total time at hospital. No side effects apart from the advised blood discharge  in motions for around 7 days all up.

Removed 4 polyps and tied off 4 hemoroids. Imagine any test result on biopsy waiting for when I return although doctor at the time said all looked good.

Best way to handle jokes about colonoscopy proceedure is to get in first, leaves others with no where to go. 😁

36 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

I relate my experience really only to bring a smile to you. I had two Colonoscopies over the years in the USA. The last one they found some polyps and cauterized but ... OK, there I am on my side, drugged but awake. So, the Doctor hands me his end of the tube and says, "here take a look"! Closest I have gotten to putting my head up my own ...

I watch mine on TV screen 

• Thumbs Up 2

I've had three done and there's really not much to it.   As others have said, the preparation before the procedure is more bothersome than the actual procedure.  I would urge you to have it done--and any others over 50 who have not yet had it done.  My father lived to 95, partly because his colon cancer was caught early enough by a colonoscopy he had done in his early 70s.

• Like 1

But my questions to you are , is a colonoscopy needed if Yoh have no symptoms of bowel disorders?

Im scared to get this done as they have to put you to sleep apparently and they may talk about me and make jokes etc 

They don’t have to put you to sleep, I had one in the U.K., you have a choice, sleep or gas and air,  I chose the gas and air, I only used it once during the procedure.

I think they put you to sleep if you're fat, and just sedate you if you are not. 

Of course, if you're thin and want to be put to sleep then they will, but it costs extra. 

I have had it both ways, and I prefer being awake. 

The procedure itself is not without risk, and the anesthesia brings additional risk. 

On 3/3/2024 at 1:38 PM, Sheryl said:

The problem is you may not know it is "brioken" until it is too late to fix.

In the case of colon cancer it is the difference between a simple outpatient procedure vs major surgery that may entail a colostomy...and, of course, possible death.

Pre-cancerous polyps are asymptomatic. So for that matter are early cancers. Hence the recommendation to screen.

And I can buy a new car....

I actually had a private hospital in Udon Thani quote me a price by way of email of 100K Baht for the Colonoscopy, and if for some reason I needed to stay extra nights if they ran into problems, the per night price would be 20K Baht. That was a red flag if I have ever seen or heard one! I guarantee you they will be ready to make an excuse to keep the patient for extra nights in a private room, and if they do find a polyp, they will remove it even if it is not necessary, then charge you for an extra surgery. All the while the patient is knocked out and will never know if he has been scammed or not. This kind of diagnostic procedure is a slippery slope at best, and I would avoid it at all costs unless there is some other indication that there is a problem "down there". 

After I turned 50 back in the USA in 1998, my company healthcare program offered a free annual maintenance Colonoscopy. Nobody bothered to tell me that I would have to pay if they found something that had to be snipped. After the test I was told that they found one polyp and removed it, and the insurance company billed me $750 for the surgery. There are many doctors that have made this a racket and are scamming patients right and left. It's a big money maker for them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, F Groenen said:

Ask for CEA test with your blood work. This is an indicator of bowel cancer. Not included in the standard blood tests.

CEA is not a reliable indicator for the presence of bowel cancer.

CEA is a more reliable indicator for tracking bower cancer once there's a confirmed diagnosis 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

I actually had a private hospital in Udon Thani quote me a price by way of email of 100K Baht for the Colonoscopy, and if for some reason I needed to stay extra nights if they ran into problems, the per night price would be 20K Baht. That was a red flag if I have ever seen or heard one! I guarantee you they will be ready to make an excuse to keep the patient for extra nights in a private room, and if they do find a polyp, they will remove it even if it is not necessary, then charge you for an extra surgery. All the while the patient is knocked out and will never know if he has been scammed or not. This kind of diagnostic procedure is a slippery slope at best, and I would avoid it at all costs unless there is some other indication that there is a problem "down there". 

After I turned 50 back in the USA in 1998, my company healthcare program offered a free annual maintenance Colonoscopy. Nobody bothered to tell me that I would have to pay if they found something that had to be snipped. After the test I was told that they found one polyp and removed it, and the insurance company billed me $750 for the surgery. There are many doctors that have made this a racket and are scamming patients right and left. It's a big money maker for them. 

All polyps should be removed and biopsied.

The ability to remove polyps is the biggest advantage to colonoscopy as opposed to "virtual colonoscopy" and other screening options and the reason why colonoscopy remains the gold standard.

As to your idea  that the doctor falsified the report of having removed a polyp, extremely unlikely.  Ask for the pathology report on the sample. 

On the other hand the quote you got  of 100k is indeed way out of line.  Even at the most expensive private hospital in Bangkok the cost is usually under 40k. It is so unprecedented that I suspect they quoted a surgical procedure by mistake...especially given the reference to "extra nights". No nights should be involved as this is an outpatient day procedure. 

Upcountry private hospitals are usually best avoided in any case.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I think they put you to sleep if you're fat, and just sedate you if you are not. 

Of course, if you're thin and want to be put to sleep then they will, but it costs extra. 

I have had it both ways, and I prefer being awake. 

The procedure itself is not without risk, and the anesthesia brings additional risk. 

The usual approach (regardless if body weight) is IV sedation and this is what people refer to as being put to sleep because that is how it feels to most people. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

All polyps should be removed and biopsied.

The ability to remove polyps is the biggest advantage to colonoscopy as opposed to "virtual colonoscopy" and other screening options and the reason why colonoscopy remains the gokd standard.

As to your idea  that the doctor falsified the report of having removed a polyp, extremely unlikely.  Ask for the pathology report on the sample. 

On the other hand the quote you got  of 100k is indeed way out of line.  Even at the most expensive private hospital in Bangkok the cost is usually under 40k. It is so unprecedented that I suspect they quoted a surgical procedure by mistake...especially given the reference to "extra nights". No nights should be involved as this is an outpatient day procedure. 

Upcountry private hospitals are usually best avoided in any case.   

I had mine done at the General Hospital in Loei. In and out in half a day, price was under 9,000 baht

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

I had mine done at the General Hospital in Loei. In and out in half a day, price was under 9,000 baht

Yes, at government hospitals it is under 10K. Private hospitals range between 20 and under 40 k...occasionally have promotional prices a bit under 20k.

Can be hard to arrange on demand at some govt hospitals though.

On 3/3/2024 at 9:46 PM, HauptmannUK said:

I've had them done routinely every few on UK NHS since I turned 50. Always been very professional and done without sedation. I felt quite relaxed. Feels a little bit weird, but definitely not painful.

Me too . Had a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy  5 months ago in a UK NHS hospital both without sedation . The colonoscopy was not a problem , you just feel the probe inside your body but the gastroscopy was not good . Just a spray to the back of the mouth to give numbness but the probe had me heaving a few times . I would recommend sedation for the gastroscopy .The colonoscopy requires that you take laxatives one day prior to the procedure . My laxative was in the form of a powder that is mixed with warm water . Laxative name is Moviprep .I can warn you not to go out but stay near your toilet because you bowel movement is lots and sudden .

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, superal said:

Me too . Had a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy  5 months ago in a UK NHS hospital both without sedation . The colonoscopy was not a problem , you just feel the probe inside your body but the gastroscopy was not good . Just a spray to the back of the mouth to give numbness but the probe had me heaving a few times . I would recommend sedation for the gastroscopy .The colonoscopy requires that you take laxatives one day prior to the procedure . My laxative was in the form of a powder that is mixed with warm water . Laxative name is Moviprep .I can warn you not to go out but stay near your toilet because you bowel movement is lots and sudden .

I can vouch for that. Talk about the world dropping out etc....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's no big deal under sedation. GA wasn't offered under public hospital test. It's just not necessary.

When most people say they were "put under" they usually mean IV sedation with propofol. Because as far as they experience/recall they are knocked out suddenly and wake up when it is over. Actually they are (usually deeply) sedated but rousable during the procedure but due ot the agent used have no memory of any of it.

No place is using GA for this.  People just vary in what they call deep IV sedation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

When most people say they were "put under" they usually mean IV sedation with propofol. Because as far as they experience/recall they are knocked out suddenly and wake up when it is over. Actually they are (usually deeply) sedated but rousable during the procedure but due ot the agent used have no memory of any of it.

No place is using GA for this.  People just vary in what they call deep IV sedation.

Sheryl, as usual, is correct.   I have had three colonoscopies.  I was awake for all three, not 'put under."  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bradiston said:

I can vouch for that. Talk about the world dropping out etc....

Unfortunately not working for me today ,this Moviprep !

I have taken the whole box ( sachets)

Edited by georgegeorgia

33 minutes ago, LarryLEB said:

Sheryl, as usual, is correct.   I have had three colonoscopies.  I was awake for all three, not 'put under."  

I was awake with a nurse standing by with a gas and air mask, I had a few gulps when the probe ‘hit’ something tender in my intestine. There is a risk if the probe pierces the intestines, I had an IV needle in my right arm in the event the probe punctured my intestine and I required a blood transfusion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I will be going in for my colonoscopy tomorrow

Hopefully this Moviprep will work overnight otherwise I'm not sure what they do if your colon is not clean 

They can't.

Be sure to drink very  large amounts of water, necessary for the Moviprep to work. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, at government hospitals it is under 10K. Private hospitals range between 20 and under 40 k...occasionally have promotional prices a bit under 20k.

Can be hard to arrange on demand at some govt hospitals though.

My doctor recommended that I had done when blood was slightly high. He arranged everything 

11 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

My doctor recommended that I had done when blood was slightly high. He arranged everything 

I think "blood was slightly high" is not correct description  more lijlkely your red blood count was low (anemia) or there was blood in your stool. 

But yes, easily arranged if doctor recommends it for a medical problem and the hospital has the capacity to do it (not all government hospitals do).

It is getting one for tlroutine screening that is sometimes hard to arrange at government hospitals.  Not always, but sometimes. 

59 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I will be going in for my colonoscopy tomorrow

Hopefully this Moviprep will work overnight otherwise I'm not sure what they do if your colon is not clean 

I am surprised its not working for you .     Are you taking 1 sachet of A and 1 sachet of B and mixing them in 1 liter of warm water ? Drink 1 quarter of the 1 liter mix every 15 minutes . It normally works after 2 or 3 hours . You will have to repeat the same mixture drink on the morning of your colonoscopy . The colonoscopy will not be performed if the laxative has not worked , as told to me by my doctor . Also no eating anything once you have started to drink the movieprep . Good luck .

• Thanks 1

Certainly a subject that has suddenly come alive.   India was the place for me, Calcutta, cheap flights/hotels/treatment, every 2 years I used to go

Its the cost there in Thailand that's a problem, think about 50 quid if I can remember for two procedures there ,top class diagnostic clinic, dozens of them, all well equipped.

Nightmare when it was picked up, did not stay in Thailand for treatment either, costing horrendous, knew two  punters there, one cost two million baht, the other 3,both of them died shortly after, but that more than probably was late diagnostic, mine was stage 1,easy (cough) to get rid of

There is an argument for not using colonoscopies for screening, pm me if you want details

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

There is an argument for not using colonoscopies for screening, pm me if you want details

I know there is some discussion about the benefit to risk ratio in that I have read that without a history of cancer or what not, the risk of the test can outweigh the risk of not testing. It would be nice if Sherle weighed in. 

My doctor told me that he recommends every ten years, unless they find something.